Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aussies warned about travelling to Ireland

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

We have terrorist groups and a huge history off terrorism plus the highest gangland murder rate in Europe.

Why wouldn't you warn people coming here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If I had a penny for every incident free parking episode I had on the Sandy Row I'd have a lot of pennies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Jayop wrote: »
    Did you park the car on the Sandy Row this time?

Whats your point? Hows about you answer my last question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Patww79 wrote: »
    It happens sometimes, it doesn't sometimes. The main issue is people automatically claiming someone must be lying if it happened to them.

I'll do you the good turn of not proclaiming you a fibber by saying you had no problems though.

Cars can get damaged anywhere, few cars were keyed outside a chapel in the middle of nowhere in Malin Head a few weeks ago, I doubt it was the Sandy Row Rangers Supporters Club on a bus outing that did it.

I'm parked on a wee estate off the Newtonards Road at the minute, I'll be taking a wee dander for a fish supper soon and my southern reg vehicle will still be in one piece when I get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭BKtje

This reminds me of the story here in Switzerland when the Irish foreign ministry had the same warning level for Switzerland as Brazil (where they have like 30 murders per 100k people) just because Geneva heightened border security after the Paris bombings. Made no sense either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'm not automatically calling him/her a liar. I'm saying what he's claimed neither stacks up nor is something that happened 14 years ago which was a different time in NI relevent.

1) Loyalists don't refer to the "Free State". If they said "fenions" or "taigs" or something else spelt incorrectly then I'd be more inclined to believe it.
    2) Why would someone with a self professed fear of some areas in NI decide to park in one of the most Loyalist areas up there, overnight, when there's loads of areas nearby that they could have parked with no hassle.
    3) The second incident didn't even warrant some details being made up posted so why mention it?

Look, it could be true but I don't believe it. That's my prerogative and it's yours to believe it if you like and add your own tale of Sandy Row vandalism to boot.

Fine, you say it did happen but the evidence doesn't stack up
    I really hope no-one ever goes to you after something bad happens to them.

• Advertisement

Whats your point? Hows about you answer my last question.

My point is that I don't believe you. I thought that would be abundently clear.

As for me and my feelings about Dublin, it's probably a mixture of reading things about the place, knowing that there's a lot of crime there and also probably some of it is from within. That doesn't mean I'm contradicting myself, it just means that sometimes people have slightly irrational thoughts about a place and that includes me.

Wow, what a massive leap in logic. Care to explain to me how I think that it's their own fault that something happened that I don't even believe happened?

:pac:

That's absolutely ludicrous logic.

Well done you. I've yet to hear a Unionist calling it the free state when used in that context. Nationalists yeah but not Unionists.
    I really hope no-one ever goes to you after something bad happens to them.

Firstly why would they be coming to me?

Firstly why would they be coming to me?

You have no friends or family then? Makes sense I guess.

You have no friends or family then? Makes sense I guess.

You must be his big brother or something. :rolleyes:

:pac: I'm a nationalist from the north so I can tell you that growing up it was generally referred to as the Free State. If I was speaking to someone from the South and didn't want to be offensive (which is the context we're speaking about) then I'd say South.

2) Why would someone with a self professed fear of some areas in NI decide to park in one of the most Loyalist areas up there, overnight, when there's loads of areas nearby that they could have parked with no hassle.

Listen up buttercup, I have no fear of the north.

My friends family home was in Sandy Row, thats why we were there, no need to park anywhere else. It was his car and it happened to be a southern reg.

I dont mind if you or anyone else believes me or not. It happened, Id appreciate it if you didnt call me a liar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I'm not discriminatory or racist in any way but I'm starting to get mixed messages of hypocrisy in Australia. Every once in a while now I am reading stories of Irish people turning up dead due to foul play, an older case being Jill Meagher. I may be wrong but it seems to disproportionally Irish people. I've never had problems here, in the ROI or NI (though I'd still be careful in NI!).

Listen up buttercup, I have no fear of the north.

My friends family home was in Sandy Row, thats why we were there, no need to park anywhere else. It was his car and it happened to be a southern reg.

I dont mind if you or anyone else believes me or not. It happened, Id appreciate it if you didnt call me a liar.

lol I like that. OK with a splash of humour you've won me over.

Apologies for calling you a liar. I'm just very much a doubting Thomas with stuff I read online and I shouldn't have said so in the public forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

etoughguy wrote: »
    They'll be grand once they just come to Cork like
    Rest of Ireland is polluted and crime ridden and you could be murdered at any give moment anywhere in Ireland, expect Cork of course

Try telling that to Sophie Toscan du Plantier...

lol I like that. OK with a splash of humour you've won me over.

Apologies for calling you a liar. I'm just very much a doubting Thomas with stuff I read online and I shouldn't have said so in the public forum.

I completely understand. Im the same.

I dont talk crap for the sake of it. You have a good point that it was a long time ago. I should have stipulated that in my first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

What does Alf Stewart have to say about this?

Advertisement