Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aussies warned about travelling to Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The message is to be cautious in NI, not ROI. Even I'm cautious going up North, the sight of a southern reg car is enough to piss off a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

“Tensions between dissident republicans and unionists have increased in the lead-up to the centenary of the Easter Rising (24-29 April — Proclamation of Irish independence). You should avoid all protests and demonstrations, including those associated with Northern Ireland, as they may turn violent,” stated a government travel update released on April 11.

An increase in crime in Ireland was listed as another concern by the country’s Department of Foreign Affairs.

“Car theft and break-ins are increasing, especially in Dublin and tourist locations, and rental cars are particularly targeted,” read the government’s statement.
    Hence, stay out of Dublin and you'll be grand :D
    Welcome to Galway Australians!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

smash wrote: »
    The message is to be cautious in NI, not ROI. Even I'm cautious going up North, the sight of a southern reg car is enough to piss off a lot of people.

Not the one I'm reading, its for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

The whole thing sounds like it was probably written by a bitter, self loathing Irish immigrant who fled the construction clone war and is now working in Australia's foreign office

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

What a load of utter tosh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Redbishop

Aye, they're attacked every day up there.
    I ve travelled and done business in every part of Northern Ireland with both communities and never had any bother, southern reg and all.

xabi wrote: »
    Not the one I'm reading, its for Ireland.

"Tensions between dissident republicans and unionists" Doesn't sound like Dublin, or ROI at all. The only mention of Dublin was car theft and break-ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Typical journalist cherry-picking quotes to support their argument.

If you look at the actual travel advice website from the Australian government they got those quotes from: http://smartraveller.gov.au/countries/europe/

Ireland is rated "Exercise normal safety precautions" (which is the safest rating) while some other European countries have "Exercise a high degree of caution".

Aussies are not being especially warned about travel to Ireland. The website is just listing a few things to be careful about - like it is for pretty much every single country.

"Tensions between dissident republicans and unionists" Doesn't sound like Dublin, or ROI at all. The only mention of Dublin was car theft and break-ins.

It specifically mentions Dublin

It specifically mentions Dublin
    Yes, only once as I've stated. "Car theft and break-ins are increasing, especially in Dublin and tourist locations"

• Advertisement

Yes, only once as I've stated. "Car theft and break-ins are increasing, especially in Dublin and tourist locations"

The article is about ROI - http://smartraveller.gov.au/countries/ireland

NI is called out separately
    Northern Ireland

Australians travelling to Northern Ireland should read the relevant sections of our travel advice for the United Kingdom.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I can see where this is coming from, I've been pickpocketed today 16 times, passed numerous voilent demonstrations, had my broken into today alone 7 times (i've just left the door open at this stage).
    Thankfully I haven't passed through any secluded parks today.

That is not the article linked in the OP, or even linked from the article in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

That is not the article linked in the OP, or even linked from the article in the OP.

Well it is the official Australian governemetn website the OP's article is based on. The sentences quoted in the article are direct copy and paste from that website.

It's what the article is based on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

biko wrote: »
    Hence, stay out of Dublin and you'll be grand :D
    Welcome to Galway Australians!

Are you INSANE?

It's seagull season again and they will soon be launching their latest campaign of terror on the chip-eaters of Salthill. Galway is hostile territory with these thugs around.

Look at them here, killers in the making...

Australia, why would anyone want to go there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I can see where this is coming from, I've been pickpocketed today 16 times, passed numerous voilent demonstrations, had my broken into today alone 7 times (i've just left the door open at this stage).

At least it's sunny out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

That's the kiwis for ya they don't know their geography lol

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There's been a murder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

This is a load of rubbish. I'd say Irish people visiting Australia are in far more danger judging by how often we here about Irish people involved in incidents there.

Official Australia seem to be very quick to criticise us Irish but as a cousin of mine who has lived there for over 40 years is quick to complain, the ruling class there is still very much English.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,050 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Maybe if the car is flying a tricolour. Otherwise, :rolleyes:

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

They'll be grand once they just come to Cork like
    Rest of Ireland is polluted and crime ridden and you could be murdered at any give moment anywhere in Ireland, expect Cork of course

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Streuth Ailsa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Seamai wrote: »
    This is a load of rubbish. I'd say Irish people visiting Australia are in far more danger judging by how often we here about Irish people involved in incidents there.

Official Australia seem to be very quick to criticise us Irish but as a cousin of mine who has lived there for over 40 years is quick to complain, the ruling class there is still very much English.

Probably because a lot of young Irish specifically go there to party and drink themselves into oblivion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Look at the colour code in your link....its green....as in low risk.

Look at the colour code for Syria....it's red....as in high risk.

Green is the standard international low level threat warning. The advice is to exercise normal safety precautions, like they would at home.

Governments have a duty of care to their citizens at home and abroad. Most Official Governmemt websites or Embassy websites have a travel advisory section for various countries.

This is not news, that journalist is a lazy cnut and posting a link without understanding it is worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I can see where this is coming from, I've been pickpocketed today 16 times, passed numerous voilent demonstrations, had my ar@e broken into today alone 7 times (i've just left the door open at this stage).

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Sensational bollocks in the OP and sensational bollocks from the poster who said driving a southern reg car in NI could cause you problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Jayop wrote: »
    ....and sensational bollocks from the poster who said driving a southern reg car in NI could cause you problems.

*sometimes* it can though.

Advertisement