Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aussies warned about travelling to Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

*sometimes* it can though.

Not really. No more than driving to certain parts of Dublin with a non local car could. Despite being from Tyrone I've only ever owned southern reg cars and I've driven to every part of NI multiple times with no issues. I've driven around Portadown, Portrush, Coleraine, the Shankill Rd and other parts of Loyalist Belfast and never had as much as a sideways glance.

Any feeling on unease you get would come from within.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Awaiting response from Alf Stewart.

Ruu wrote: »

Flamin' Nora

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

It says a lot about our country when the citizens of a prison colony are being warned not to come here.

I mean, the idea of the Australians of all people warning people about travelling to Ireland has to be a joke. Two weeks ago, yet another Irish citizen was murdered in Australia, just a few weeks after RTÉ showed this poignant documentary about three Irish citizens Murdered in Melbourne.

To get in Australian-style generalisation mode, in Australia they don't just murder people, they're positively barbaric when they do so, as anybody familiar with the head-stomping savagery this Irish citizen endured. A nation of crazed martial arts Jackie Chan wannabes who drift from place to place with massive criminal records and psychopathic tendencies. Alas, what can we expect from a nation that still hasn't the balls to choose to be anything but a glorified colony of the British Empire in 2016?

It's about time the government of Ireland put a notice on its website warning Irish citizens about the risks of travelling to Australia.

• Advertisement

I mean, the idea of the Australians of all people warning people about travelling to Ireland has to be a joke. Two weeks ago, yet another Irish citizen was murdered in Australia, just a few weeks after RTÉ showed this poignant documentary about three Irish citizens Murdered in Melbourne.

To get in Australian-style generalisation mode, in Australia they don't just murder people, they're positively barbaric when they do so, as anybody familiar with the head-stomping savagery this Irish citizen endured. A nation of crazed martial arts Jackie Chan wannabes who drift from place to place with massive criminal records and psychopathic tendencies. Alas, what can we expect from a nation that still hasn't the balls to choose to be anything but a glorified colony of the British Empire in 2016?

It's about time the government of Ireland put a notice on its website warning Irish citizens about the risks of travelling to Australia.

They have Ireland listed in the safest possible category for their people to travel to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I met some of the nicest and some of the most ignorant people in my life in Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Jayop wrote: »
    They have Ireland listed in the safest possible category for their people to travel to.

Sshhh, don't let the truth get in the way of a bit of xenophobic ranting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

You'll find more cops in Australia than you would here in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Not really. No more than driving to certain parts of Dublin with a non local car could. Despite being from Tyrone I've only ever owned southern reg cars and I've driven to every part of NI multiple times with no issues. I've driven around Portadown, Portrush, Coleraine, the Shankill Rd and other parts of Loyalist Belfast and never had as much as a sideways glance.

Any feeling on unease you get would come from within.

Thats quite true.

I have been up the north a fair few times. Only twice have I had minor hassle. Once was when the windows of my friends southern reg car were put in with "Free State prick" scraped on the side of the car.

Another time, I was also politely advised to turn around and leave the area while in my Southern reg car.

Both incidents were directly related to having a southern reg car. Weird.

Jaysis, I must have done that from a feeling within.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

lawlolawl wrote: »
    It says a lot about our country when the citizens of a prison colony are being warned not to come here.

How many were those originally from the prison colonies of Irish descent?

Edit: Apparently 24%.

Thats quite true.

I have been up the north a fair few times. Only twice have I had minor hassle. Once was when the windows of my friends southern reg car were put in with "Free State prick" scraped on the side of the car.

Another time, I was also politely advised to turn around and leave the area while in my Southern reg car.

What areas did that happen in and what year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Look at the colour code in your link....its green....as in low risk.

Look at the colour code for Syria....it's red....as in high risk.

Green is the standard international low level threat warning. The advice is to exercise normal safety precautions, like they would at home.

Governments have a duty of care to their citizens at home and abroad. Most Official Governmemt websites or Embassy websites have a travel advisory section for various countries.

This is not news, that journalist is a lazy cnut and posting a link without understanding it is worse.

Is that a sly dig at me on the last line? I completely understand the links I posted, that's why I did so in AH, most people seem to understand that it's bull, and can joke about it, then you have the likes of you. You should lighten up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Thats quite true.

Bull****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Oh give over. Barbaric crimes dont happen here? Really? What about bodies in suitcases? Every country in the world has a history of vicious crimes, generally carried out by a handful of barbaric individuals. How many Irish people emigrated to Australia? How many of them have been brutally murdered?

I have heard terrible stories of tourists being murdered here. This isn't paradise. You have to expect more crime when there is a bigger population.

Your post is really OTT and out of touch with reality.

xabi wrote: »
    Is that a sly dig at me on the last line? I completely understand the links I posted, that's why I did so in AH, most people seem to understand that it's bull, and can joke about it, then you have the likes of you. You should lighten up a bit.

Wasn't a sly dig at you, mainly atvthe teporter but it was just an opinion. lighten up chief, wouldnt want you to join "the likes of me"....whatever that means.

Wait, wait, was that a sly dig at me? Consider my knickers in a twist so! Just ruined my day that did :(

xabi wrote: »
    Bull****

Iv zero interest in making up stories for the internet. Things happen in life. They are two very small things that did happen. The fact they differ from your opinion does not negate their legitimacy.

Iv never had any other hassle up there.

What areas did that happen in and what year?

First was Sandy Row in 2002, most likely just lads pissed walking home. The other was in 2008, doesnt matter where.

First was Sandy Row in 2002, most likely just lads pissed walking home. The other was in 2008, doesnt matter where.

So the one that had your car smashed up was 14 years ago just after the end of the troubles. Why were you parked in Sandy Row? I can see no logical explanation for why someone visiting Belfast would think that was a good idea. The place is a **** hole and it's not like it's not clearly marked.

Things are not like that now and haven't been for as long as I have been driving up North.

And just to add, Unionists generally don't use the term "Free State" when attempting to be derogatory.

I'll call BS on those stories my friend.

• Advertisement

And just to add, Unionists generally don't use the term "Free State" when attempting to be derogatory.

I'll call BS on those stories my friend.

Firstly, it did happen.
    Secondly, it doesn't matter why I was there.
    Thirdly, I earlier qualified that it *sometimes* happens.
    Fourthly, I never said it was Unionists, yes thats the area but it could have been someone else.

Finally, this back and forth is going nowhere. Feel free to disbelieve I cant be wasting thread space repeating myself.

Anyway, on topic, links by OP are an non story, not the OP's fault either (incase he/she thinks im having a sly dig).

Fine, you say it did happen but the evidence doesn't stack up and even if it did then it's 14 years ago and the North is a hugely different place now than it was then.

"Sometimes" doesn't mean once years ago.

Fine, you say it did happen but the evidence doesn't stack up and even if it did then it's 14 years ago and the North is a hugely different place now than it was then.

"Sometimes" doesn't mean once years ago.

I agree, it's a totally different place than before.

I consider the north to be safe but its not Rainbow land!

I agree, it's a totally different place than before.

I consider the north to be safe but its not Rainbow land!

I'd say Belfast is safer than Dublin at the moment, would you agree?

I'd say Belfast is safer than Dublin at the moment, would you agree?

Define safer?

I am not qualified to answer that. I have no regional crime statistics to back up any answers Id give. Plus, the motive behind your question is not for the curiostiy of my opinions but moreso a rouse to discredit my earlier experiences.

I know Im less likey to get hit by a LUAS in Belfast....so its safer in that context.

I hope you are not infering of being a vicinity casualty of inter factional criminal gang activity in Dublin, I wouldnt bother.

What are your reasons for feeling one is safer than the other?

Define safer?

I am not qualified to answer that. I have no regional crime statistics to back up any answers Id give. Plus, the motive behind your question is not for the curiostiy of my opinions but moreso a rouse to discredit my earlier experiences.

I know Im less likey to get hit by a LUAS in Belfast....so its safer in that context.

I hope you are not infering of being a vicinity casualty of inter factional criminal gang activity in Dublin, I wouldnt bother.

What are your reasons for feeling one is safer than the other?

I feel safer walking around Belfast than I do in Dublin.

I feel safer walking around Belfast than I do in Dublin.

But...but...but...you said "Any feeling on unease you get would come from within". Does that only work up north?

Anyway, I wont bust your balls about contradicting yourself.

I was in Belfast last May, had a great time. Did the marathon, did the Titanic etc, it really is a lovely place. Spent a few days in Derry and in Newcastle too.

The fact I had two isolated incidents in the past doesnt make me feel less safe there.

What happened to you that you feel less safe in Dublin? Paranoia? Potential for something to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Ruu wrote: »

You mean your father Ruu?

But...but...but...you said "Any feeling on unease you get would come from within". Does that only work up north?

Anyway, I wont bust your balls about contradicting yourself.

I was in Belfast last May, had a great time. Did the marathon, did the Titanic etc, it really is a lovely place. Spent a few days in Derry and in Newcastle too.

The fact I had two isolated incidents in the past doesnt make me feel less safe there.

What happened to you that you feel less safe in Dublin? Paranoia? Potential for something to happen?

Did you park the car on the Sandy Row this time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement