Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother jailed for neglect and assault on her children

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

bubblypop wrote: »
    El duderino,
    I think jack or whatever the name is, just likes to argue with anyone they can.
    No one who thinks normally could think that studying past abuse cases could in no way assist in future child protection.
    Obviously anyone with a sane understanding brain realises than any little help is advantageous in child protection.
    I wouldn't bother trying to educate jack anymore.

The main issue in this case and many others is not that they were missed. It was a lack of communication between agencies. Relocation is common in child abuse cases as it was in my own. I was in 8 different schools before I was taken into care and had moved the length and breadth of the uk.

The study of risk factors does of course identify some abuse but in my own case none of the common factors would have been evident. It is still a valuable tool but I believe compulsory parenting clases at pregnancy would be much more resource efficient than trying to deal with the issue later.

I'm going to say something here that will no doubt cause some consternation but it is my opinion based upon my experience both in the care of and later working among civil servants.

They don't work. Not like those in the private sector. They invariably don't do a 39 hour week. They spend as much time doing pointless training courses as they do working. They take more breaks than any private sector employee and their systems and working practices are incredibly inneficient and outdated and this causes decision making to be ponderous and over complicated.

There is way too much what if? And not enough decisive action. Communication between agencies is obstructive and disjointed. There is always someone off sick that causes a delay and nobody picking up their workload and turnover of staff on the frontline is huge, largely due to the administrative nightmare they are trying to operate in being seemingly geared towards making their job as difficult as possible.

The civil service needs root and branch reform. Too many studies looking at what mistakes were made, not enough proactive action.

Forty seven, I do agree with you to an extent. There is a big problem in this country because there is a huge turnover of social workers.
    We have mandatory reporting of child protection incidents, & it should work, because it should follow the family around. This is relatively recent, but it does seem to work well to an extent.
    Social workers have such a hard job, they all start with great intentions, they all want to help. Then they start, & their workload is horrendously large. Impossible I would think, they can't physically do everything they are supposed to.
    Which ends up with social workers becoming burnt out, dissolutioned & trying to ' cover their own ass' and eventually leaving, in a lot of cases.

I wouldn't be a social worker for any money. They are over stretched, under resourced & constantly looking over their shoulder trying to ' cover their own ass'

The country needs to put money into these services. We need to at least double the social workers in this country. Maybe then, any referrals they receive, they might have time to investigate cases correctly.

And anything we can learn about these types of cases, can only assist going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

bubblypop wrote: »
    Forty seven, I do agree with you to an extent. There is a big problem in this country because there is a huge turnover of social workers.
    We have mandatory reporting of child protection incidents, & it should work, because it should follow the family around. This is relatively recent, but it does seem to work well to an extent.
    Social workers have such a hard job, they all start with great intentions, they all want to help. Then they start, & their workload is horrendously large. Impossible I would think, they can't physically do everything they are supposed to.
    Which ends up with social workers becoming burnt out, dissolutioned & trying to ' cover their own ass' and eventually leaving, in a lot of cases.

I wouldn't be a social worker for any money. They are over stretched, under resourced & constantly looking over their shoulder trying to ' cover their own ass'

The country needs to put money into these services. We need to at least double the social workers in this country. Maybe then, any referrals they receive, they might have time to investigate cases correctly.

And anything we can learn about these types of cases, can only assist going forward.

Agreed. If only the money ever made it to frontline servixes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

What a horrible woman. How anyone can do that to small kids. Horrible, rotten, sad excuse of a human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,033 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

KERSPLAT! wrote:
    Are you two still at it!?

Nope. All friends now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

It disgusts me to think of 7 little kids absolutely traumatised and frightened in their own home with strange drunks walking in and out like it was some sort of half way house, with nobody to give them a hug and a kiss and make them feel loved and like none of what was happening was their fault.

How are they ever going to be okay after that? She's ruined their lives. There is no coming back from that.

They will, hopefully. It won't be easy and they will always find it hard to trust people and feel awkward when people do perfectly normal nice things for them.

Maybe one day if they are healthy and stable enough they will have their own child. One day when that child is about 4 it will climb into bed next to them and say 'Mommy/Daddy you're beautiful, I love you' and in that moment they will realise that they are giving love and happiness to someone else, nurturing them, watching them grow and most of all go to sleep every night knowing that they are safe, not afraid and will never know the pain they did.

It isn't something you can ever forget but you can use it to make the world a better place for other people. Honestly I may not have got hugs and kisses when I needed them or felt safe or loved but it is in the past there is nothing I can do. Now I can get hugs and kisses all the time off my very cheerful daughter. I'm a very ambitious person, I do exceptionally well in exams, I don't want to waste my life but honesty I have the only thing I ever wanted and that is a happy home for my daughter (and her sibling that I'm currently growing). Everything else I achieve from here is a bonus, a cherry on top. I have everything I need now, the people, the security and 10 years ago I was suicidal. So hopefully they will find someone, even if it was one person to understand them, no matter how dysfunctional they may become because of this. That is all we can hope for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

Are you making a point about all profiling being useless or do you think it's specific to child abuse?

Do you think it's useless because they can't make a 100% reliable profile? Or do you think it's completely useless?

Well as we're specifically talking about perpetrators of child abuse, I'm saying that profiling is useless. I know why researchers investigate cases, but profiling itself is full of confirmation bias. I personally don't believe it's actually possible to create a model that would predict with any degree of accuracy, either potential victims of child abuse, or potential perpetrators of child abuse.
    Add your reply here.
    Are you talking about these called ritual abuse fiasco in England? That was a pretty shocking version of false flag hysteria. 230 or so kids took into care based solely on confirmation bias and hysterisa on the Part of social services. The younger kids actually believed they had been abused because it was put in their heads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

melissak wrote: »
    Are you making a point about all profiling being useless or do you think it's specific to child abuse?

Do you think it's useless because they can't make a 100% reliable profile? Or do you think it's completely useless?

Well as we're specifically talking about perpetrators of child abuse, I'm saying that profiling is useless. I know why researchers investigate cases, but profiling itself is full of confirmation bias. I personally don't believe it's actually possible to create a model that would predict with any degree of accuracy, either potential victims of child abuse, or potential perpetrators of child abuse.
    Add your reply here.
    Are you talking about these called ritual abuse fiasco in England? That was a pretty shocking version of false flag hysteria. 230 or so kids took into care based solely on confirmation bias and hysterisa on the Part of social services. The younger kids actually believed they had been abused because it was put in their heads
    Add your reply here.
    This is directed to jack, quoted wrong post

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

melissak wrote: »
    Add your reply here.

That'd be a good example of what I'm talking about, yes, the way that those cases were based upon stereotyping and confirmation bias, sensationalised in the media and creating a moral panic among the public so that they thought they were 'educated' to be able to spot potential abusers. That's how actual cases of abuse often aren't spotted, because they don't fit a profile.

It's made much harder again by the fact that once the family moves to a new location, they go under the radar again, until they come to the attention of social services again, and a new case file is opened, and the new social workers aren't aware of the previous case files. The mother in this case knew what she was doing, but due to stereotyping and confirmation bias, women aren't as commonly thought to be just as capable of abuse and neglect as men are.

Advertisement