Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Green Plaza -- public consultation open

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aictlec

Wonder if the truth matters!

Just google Dublin live and alternative design! 13th of April :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Aictlec wrote: »
    Wonder if the truth matters!

Just google Dublin live and alternative design! 13th of April :)

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/college-green-plaza-alternative-design-14524428

Here ye go.

Mr Marden's plan deserves some publicity and consideration.

However,with the current cast of "administrators" (I use that term advisedly) attempting to cover up their lack of proffessional accumen,it is highly unlikely this intervention will be allowed to proceed.

The people now involved in this are of long standing,in and around the "Administrative" gravy train in Dublin,and will not be found wanting when it comes to protecting their positions.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

AlekSmart wrote: »
    https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/college-green-plaza-alternative-design-14524428

Here ye go.

However,with the current cast of "administrators" (I use that term advisedly) attempting to cover up their lack of proffessional accumen,it is highly unlikely this intervention will be allowed to proceed.

Taxi ranks and car traffic? How is that an improvement? Everything else is pretty much decoration.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

AlekSmart wrote: »

No, no it doesn't. Not in the slightest. We've seen stuff from this persona before - aspects of twee Gaelicisation for the sake of it with little actual solid evidence that you're dealing with anything other than the work of a fantasist.

Reference the designs at the website below. In particular this wonderful doozy of Bono coming out of a shamrock shaped escalator with some bizarre Parisian metro-shamrock pastiche pole plonked beside it.

4x6+high+crop+3.jpg?format=500w

https://www.celtcia.com/

Best left alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

noelfirl wrote: »
    No, no it doesn't. Not in the slightest. We've seen stuff from this persona before - aspects of twee Gaelicisation for the sake of it with little actual solid evidence that you're dealing with anything other than the work of a fantasist.

There's a massive Celtic knot in the middle of his plaza... a dead giveaway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭noelfirl

strandroad wrote: »
    There's a massive Celtic knot in the middle of his plaza... a dead giveaway.

My personal favourite from the portfolio remains the Shamrock shaped underground station.

4x6+high+crop+6.jpg?format=750w

It was never quite clear to me how anyone standing inside the station would be able to actually perceive that it was a shamrock. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

My personal favourite from the portfolio remains the Shamrock shaped underground station.

4x6+high+crop+6.jpg?format=750w

It was never quite clear to me how anyone standing inside the station would be able to actually perceive that it was a shamrock. :)

Presumably Bono using his special shades....?

It may be crackpot,but when one considers the actual cost of what we curently have,perhaps it's better value ? ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Best left alone.

No offence but do your homework...

We have won the public vote...

73% Celtcia
    27% Dublin City Council

Dublin City Council always expected to get away with this...
    Declan has also retired...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Best left alone.

73% Celtcia
    27% Dublin City Council

Public vote? Didn't you admit over on Skyscrapercity that you'd never been to Dublin before?

Best left alone.

73% Celtcia
    27% Dublin City Council

Public vote? Didn't you admit over on Skyscrapercity that you'd never been to Dublin before?

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »

Maybe after being bullied...
    What difference does it make?
    There was a hint of sarcasm...
    Uzton studied tidal charts for a tram yard...

Anyone have any other questions?

They said at the council meeting an underpass would force them to go back to the board...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

What on earth are you going on about ? Somewhat of a thread drift here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Everyone back on topic please.

Mr Marden had the chance to tender for the design of the project — that’s gone and past.

The topic is the actual College Green Plaza proposals and possible details to improve such, and related issues. The topic is not completely different proposals, especially not to the extend of that taking over the thread and confusing people unaware of the dispute.

— moderator

monument wrote: »
    Everyone back on topic please.

Mr Marden had the chance to tender for the design of the project — that’s gone and past.

— moderator
    Yes and the EU will investigate it similar to ESB headquarters RIAI issue...

Anyway back to the topic...

From RTE:

He said the recent "debacle" around the cross-city Luas and the debate around the College Green plaza has demonstrated quite clearly that civil servants in the department and the NTA did not have exclusivity over the necessary expertise on how transport provision is planned.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Yes and the .......

Read the Commuting and Transport charter before posting again.

When a mod says back on topic, it means back on topic. Not take another go at things that aren't the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

From RTE:
    He said the recent "debacle" around the cross-city Luas and the debate around the College Green plaza has demonstrated quite clearly that civil servants in the department and the NTA did not have exclusivity over the necessary expertise on how transport provision is planned.

He, who?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,129 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

He, who?
    General Secretary of the NBRU Dermot O'Leary - https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0426/957392-transport/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

General Secretary of the NBRU Dermot O'Leary - https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0426/957392-transport/

oh right, never mind so.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

ABP decision delayed again, now due at the end of October, on the 31st.

See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

Past by College Green this morning. My got it is a sad in indictment of public transport policy failings! Wonder what tourists think?

• Advertisement

alentejo wrote: »
    Past by College Green this morning. My got it is a sad in indictment of public transport policy failings! Wonder what tourists think?

They're probably thinking "okay so I need to cross this road to get to Grafton Street", or "I wonder where is good for lunch?", or "I hate my kids", or "do we need to pay to see the Book of Kells?", or "where are my bus tour tickets?".

You know what they're very likely not thinking about? Traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

alentejo wrote: »
    The last time I passed it I was a tourist.

I actually didn't care.

As an ex-inhabitant I do not see it as an indictment of past failings. What I see as a failing is the utterly absurd ticketing set up in Dublin. Standardise it across all modes and all operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Just incomprehensible.

The two most important cases with the ABP are College Green and Poolbeg West, and they just keep getting kicked down the road. Someone needs to allocate resources properly. If someone is appealing their domestic extension, they can wait. Sort College Green and fast track Poolbeg.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

cgcsb wrote: »

The two most important cases with the NTA are College Green and Poolbeg West,
    Don't you mean ABP?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

They're probably thinking "okay so I need to cross this road to get to Grafton Street", or "I wonder where is good for lunch?", or "I hate my kids", or "do we need to pay to see the Book of Kells?", or "where are my bus tour tickets?".

You know what they're very likely not thinking about? Traffic.

Youre right but its a case of what you dont know cant hurt you
    Everyone , not just tourists, would obviously appreciate a public plaza there if given the choice between whats there now, and whats there now it messy and chaotic in every respect

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Bray Head wrote: »
    Don't you mean ABP?

yes

wakka12 wrote: »
    Everyone , not just tourists, would obviously appreciate a public plaza there if given the choice between whats there now, and whats there now it messy and chaotic in every respect

I certainly want the plaza very much myself, I just don't like this recurring narrative in so many infrastructure projects about "what would the tourists think?"

The tourists largely don't care, and are usually pretty unimportant in terms of the usage figures of any given project too.

In other words, we shouldn't be worrying about doing these things for the tourists, we should be doing them for residents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 celtcia

wakka12 wrote: »

I certainly want the plaza very much myself, I just don't like this recurring narrative in so many infrastructure projects about "what would the tourists think?"

We know what they will think...
    Where are the public toilets, where are the guards, why is there a pole blocking trinity college, why are there railings, why is there a gap in the Luas lines, etc...

celtcia wrote: »
    We know what they will think...
    Where are the public toilets, where are the guards, why is there a pole blocking trinity college, why are there railings, why is there a gap in the Luas lines, etc...

They might be wondering about public toilets, but I very much doubt they're worried about the other things, particularly the last 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Passed through CG the other day, it really is a mess. Sooner the plaza goes ahead the better. Wondering what is the process if ABP give the go ahead- is their decision final or can it be appealed to the courts?

Advertisement