Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey (or Gray) Hair

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

i despise grey hair. I do not understand women under 55 walking around with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

are you a man or a woman ? :eek:

What difference does it make? I'm a middle-aged broad with PCOS. If I didn't keep it in check, I'd look like the bearded lady. It happens.

Katgurl wrote: »

Just curious, how old are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Does bollick hair go grey.

It does, I shave the wavin pipe regularly so there's no hair there anyway. I'm grey as a mule at 38. The missus loves it, recons I'm better looking now than when we met.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Bit of grey on the sides, much more noticeable if I let the hair get too long. Hair is usally kept short, and whilst still noticeable, its usally got positive comments.

Dont get bothered by it, only way I plan to hide it, is in future to shave all off if thins as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

are you a man or a woman ? :eek:

Looks into pants, still a man:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I've been going grey for the past couple of years and now have the "salt and pepper" look. Everyone says it really suits me.

My eldest sister has let her her hair grow out grey and I must say that it looks good on her. There's far too much of a societal bias against grey hair - associating it with old age and losing beauty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

To tell you the truth, I want to go completely gray so I can do that thing the younger women are doing, that multicolor mermaid oil-slick fantasy dye job, just for fun. My husband is cool with it... "it's your hair, do whatever you want with it, dye it lime green if you want". LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Speedwell wrote: »
    I've always been bemused by this. Sure, it's trendy to hack it all off these days, and when I had the money I went full Brazilian until a bad waxer caused me a skin infection (TMI? Sorry), but it's not like it grows like head hair does and gets in the way or gets into things. It's just a patch of short hair that usually looks like it's keeping itself in check, like a lawn of self-limiting grass. What's really messy and untidy about it, unless you wear clothing that doesn't cover it? Other than personal preference, of course.
    I feel better when it's smooth. Personally of course. Feel cleaner and I like not having to worry if any things poking out at the side of my underwear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

What's this "gray" business? Did you type that in on your cellphone while you were sitting on the hood of your car?

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    What's this "gray" business? Did you type that in on your cellphone while you were sitting on the hood of your car?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm a Yank and a former copy editor and state spelling champion. I earned it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Found a few grey hairs in the past few months and I'm 26. My hair's dark brown but I keep convincing myself I see more, it's really annoying.

I remember reading that there was an old Chinese joke about a man who went bald because he had two mistresses. "What does that have to do with it?" asked the "straight man". The joke teller explained that the man had a young mistress and an old mistress who knew about each other. In bed, the young mistress would pluck out the gray hairs to make the man look younger so he would be embarrassed to be seen with his old mistress. And the old mistress would pluck out dark hairs to make the man look silly carrying on with a young one. So there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Katgurl wrote: »

I like my hair to be a certain way but I couldn't care less what anyone else does with theirs. Most adults don't I would have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

I have a few greys and have for a while. I dye my hair but not because of the greys just because I like to change the colour. I use colours like blue, purple, pink a lot so am quite looking forward to going grey and not having to bleach the hell out of it.
    My husband was pretty grey when I met him, he was 27 then. He's turning 40 this year and completely grey now. It doesn't bother him a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Found my first greys as a teen in 2nd or 3rd year, late 20s now and almost completely grey. I don't mind at all anymore, **** it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭BlondeMoment

Are we talking Marty Whelan grey or George Clooney grey?

George Clooney/ Grey haired guy from Catfish :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

I couldnt give a toss about hair going gray, that's only for the lucky f*ckers who don't have to worry about baldness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Samaris wrote: »
    So then, when and where did you start noticing grey hairs? Do they aggravate you? (Are you OUTRAGED? Sorry.) Do you dye them? Pull them out? Are you yet resigned to them? Have you contemplated if you could encourage them to form a Rogue-like streak that you could then dye weird colours? If not, why the hell not?

I'm early 30s and have a bit of grey hair but not too bad. I have medium/dark brown hair naturally which I loved but in the last couple of years I have changed to blonde and I really like the blonde. I don't think I'll ever go back to brunette.

Would you think about going blonde OP? It would mean the grey's were less noticeable although you would have dark roots, but think like Debbie Harry :) It takes a while to go blonde and you will probably hate it at the beginning but eventually you would get a nice shade that suits you.

My granddad had a full head of thick white hair. My mam and I were talking about him the other day and she said that she recalled washing and cutting his hair when he was sick. She said how it dawned on her, how handsome he was. I always thought he just looked like a clean Worsel Gummage but I can see what my mam was saying :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

26 year old female here and I've got a fine chunk of grey hair coming through. It's been more noticeable since I got a pixie cut last June. I'm not too bothered and more curious as to how it will turn out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Mars Bar wrote: »
    26 year old female here and I've got a fine chunk of grey hair coming through. It's been more noticeable since I got a pixie cut last June. I'm not too bothered and more curious as to how it will turn out!

Thats me, I have a morbid curiosity to see how and how quick it will spread ha :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Olishi4 wrote: »
    Would you think about going blonde OP? It would mean the grey's were less noticeable although you would have dark roots, but think like Debbie Harry :) It takes a while to go blonde and you will probably hate it at the beginning but eventually you would get a nice shade that suits you.

I have tried! :D The only thing that will do anything at all to my hair is straight-out bleach and I'm allergic to the stuff. It's very very dark, not quite black but easily passes for it. It laughs at hair dye. Even just trying to lighten a shade - nope, it ignores it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Grey Hair & long grey beard...

Grey hairs are a badge of honour, I've earned mine :cool: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Samaris wrote: »
    I have tried! :D The only thing that will do anything at all to my hair is straight-out bleach and I'm allergic to the stuff. It's very very dark, not quite black but easily passes for it. It laughs at hair dye. Even just trying to lighten a shade - nope, it ignores it.

What about researching a bit about Henna? I don't know much about it tbh or if it is effective for covering grey. I know you cannot use it on previously dyed hair though.

If all fails just think of your hair as Salt n Pepper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Grey hairs are the harbingers of death. That's where it's going.

Advertisement