Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey (or Gray) Hair

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Going grey, don't care. I fought long and hard to reach this age and I'm not going to pretend to be back in my 20's. I'm in my 40's grey hair is par for the course. Nevermind the silly expense of dye etc. I have better things to spend money on.
    My plan is to stay fit and if I go grey, so what?

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Grey hair on a guy is sexy. On a woman, not so much. Dreading going grey myself.

I think you will find I am sexy as hell :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

failinis wrote: »
    She had fair brown hair, in summer she would get natural blond highlights. She did not get lighter hair, just suddenly white hairs.
    Apparently hair loss and white hair are fairly genetic and are passed down, seems to be my case :pac:

I'm definitely the odd one out in my family as I take after my old man who was dark skinned and would go dark brown in the sun, whereas the rest of the family took after my mother - pale ginger and would go lobster crispy in the sun! :D

(thought for years the postman must have called ffs as I look nothing like the rest of them, and the brother whose hair went from ginger to dark, went sandy blond when he went to Spain! :pac:)

This gives examples of reported cases and says its hard to prove but that going grey within a few weeks is possible for sure.

Well that's interesting! It was only told to me as a story because I asked what was the story with him having snow white hair and the rest of his brothers having jet black hair. Apparently happened when he was in his 21 or thereabouts, no stressors or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I'm definitely the odd one out in my family as I take after my old man who was dark skinned and would go dark brown in the sun, whereas the rest of the family took after my mother - pale ginger and would go lobster crispy in the sun! :D

All my family are lobsters in the sun - but its only me who is going white so young, all my siblings are a lot older than me and loss of hair more common.
    I was just about to suggest the milkman paying a visit to your mother :p
    Well that's interesting! It was only told to me as a story because I asked what was the story with him having snow white hair and the rest of his brothers having jet black hair. Apparently happened when he was in his 21 or thereabouts, no stressors or anything.

I was told a similar story of my granny and a few uncles and aunts (not over night, but within a few years, the small population of white just over took).
    Read a bit on causes, lack of certain minerals and vitamins can effect hair colour and such not just stressors. Could just be plain auld bad luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

I've veen finding grey hairs since I was around 15. I only pull them out if someone says they are bugging them. They don't really bother me as much. I don't know why some people, when they find their first grey hair, seem to feel like their life is over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Got my first in my late teens. Tiny clump of them. Then after a while they turned back to dark. I had a mixture of black and red hairs, the reds went grey first. I'd reckon a good decade before. Now I'd be half and half, grey/black.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I'm 36 and very slowly going silver, I pretend to my wife that it's getting to me so that's what she concentrates on when she's slagging me off (it's a healthy relationship we have)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

My hair is dark brown,I have grey strands of grey hair a while now, just grew a beard and that has clumps which are pure white,,rainbow head...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Turning 40 next year and I've noticed one or two starting to appear on end of my chin. I suppose it will gradually makes it way to my head at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Used to have hair blacker than Hitler's heart to the point that people thought I dyed it. :pac:

Around 24 / 25 the greys started appearing where my friends would stop me mid-conversation and go: "Jaysus, you're going awful grey man!"

30 now but still predominantly black, grey growth slowed down for the moment and the long hair sort of masks it though me head has definitely gone a lighter shade. My beard is like a crap rainbow though with black, brown, ginger, and grey hairs :p

I don't mind, I ain't going bald and by the looks of it I'll look quite decent with an aul salt & pepper head on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I'm past the grey stage almost white now :o
    Onion juice is supposed to turn grey hair back to natural colour but the smell might be off putting.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I've been dyeing my hair grey for almost a year now, love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I've been dyeing my hair grey for almost a year now, love it!

Jealous! What is your natural colour

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Jealous! What is your natural colour

Boring mousey brown. Been a few different variants of dark brown to dark blonde the last few years and then decided "fcuk this, I want bright blonde hair" so I've been getting platinum blonde all over colour and I vary the shade of toner anywhere on the spectrum from ashy blonde to blue/violet/grey. The toners only lasts a few weeks and I'm left with platinum blonde until my next trip to the hairdressers but I don't care! Absolutely love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I am very dark brown, tried strip it with the view of going grey but the idiot hairdresser ended up turning it green. Now I don't know whether to keep trying to get blonder on the ends or go back dark.
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/16/59/e2/1659e2488dee6948a88e6ba267ad64ee.jpg

That was the goal

Is hair dye worth the effort, does it not look fake and unnatural?

My hair colour changes with the seasons, it is much darker in the winter than in the Summer. In the Summer it is a much lighter shade, but when I cut it it looks darker for a week or 2. Plus it has different shades on different parts of my head, it is more tinted on the sides than on top.

Can hair dye really replicate that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I started getting a few silver hairs a few years back. I refuse to call them grey, silver sounds so much nicer:). As soon as they get really noticeable, I'm down to get a colour done. I'll do this for the foreseeable. I think in a way if I'd lots more it'd be easier to let colouring go,whereas I think the few I have look untidy when they randomly start popping up again amongst the brown. It's a different story with men though, silver hairs are sexy as hell, especially in really dark hair:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

73Cat wrote: »
    I started getting a few silver hairs a few years back. I refuse to call them grey, silver sounds so much nicer:). As soon as they get really noticeable, I'm down to get a colour done. I'll do this for the foreseeable. I think in a way if I'd lots more it'd be easier to let colouring go,whereas I think the few I have look untidy when they randomly start popping up again amongst the brown. It's a different story with men though, silver hairs are sexy as hell, especially in really dark hair:)
    Oh yeah, the silver fox look is so sexy! :)

I have grey hairs but they are just along my temples so far, and are hidden by my long hair.
    I have quite dark hair, so when they get more visible I'll have to start colouring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I'm 49 and I've been using dye since I was in my late 20s (not to cover gray at that time but to change the color). I had a well-paying job and I made enough money to have an excellent colorist do my hair every month (my hair grows fast). Fast forward to last year, when I stopped coloring because I got sick of the constant hassle and expense and I thought I'd just "go natural". I tried to use a color stripper and it took about a fifth of the color out and my hair still smells like the chemical when it's wet, after who knows how many washes and rinses. Ick ugh. I have about three inches of salt-and-pepper over a good 40 cm of variable browns. It looks like hell and I don't know what to do with it anymore.

While I was out a few weeks ago with my much younger sister-in-law and her little boy, she stopped at a beauty supply for a special pregnancy-safe dye. The seven-year-old was asking me all kinds of questions about hair dye and why ladies use it and have I ever used it, and so forth. He's seen me with my hair fully dyed, and I asked him, "Well, you remember when my hair was all one color, right? Didn't you like it better then?" Little dude looked me dead in the eye and said, "No, I like it better like you have it now." Well, OK then. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Speedwell wrote: »
    I'm 49 and I've been using dye since I was in my late 20s (not to cover gray at that time but to change the color). I had a well-paying job and I made enough money to have an excellent colorist do my hair every month (my hair grows fast). Fast forward to last year, when I stopped coloring because I got sick of the constant hassle and expense and I thought I'd just "go natural". I tried to use a color stripper and it took about a fifth of the color out and my hair still smells like the chemical when it's wet, after who knows how many washes and rinses. Ick ugh. I have about three inches of salt-and-pepper over a good 40 cm of variable browns. It looks like hell and I don't know what to do with it anymore.

While I was out a few weeks ago with my much younger sister-in-law and her little boy, she stopped at a beauty supply for a special pregnancy-safe dye. The seven-year-old was asking me all kinds of questions about hair dye and why ladies use it and have I ever used it, and so forth. He's seen me with my hair fully dyed, and I asked him, "Well, you remember when my hair was all one color, right? Didn't you like it better then?" Little dude looked me dead in the eye and said, "No, I like it better like you have it now." Well, OK then. :D

And you know, a kid of that age will be brutally honest so you know he wasn't sugar coating it for you. Win! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm hitting 40 & going through my George Clooney phase... hair is about 5% grey, beard is about 15%. They haven't made their way down south yet, but I can't say it'd bother me. I used to shave my head, but now its fairly long on top, so I'd prefer not to go bald... not showing any signs of balding so that's okay. I have noticed some odd hairs emanating from my ears & I try to keep nose-hairs under control...

I have to say, at this age I'm having more success with the ladies than I ever had, so I'm cool with the grey...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I'm hitting 40 & going through my George Clooney phase... hair is about 5% grey, beard is about 15%. They haven't made their way down south yet, but I can't say it'd bother me. I used to shave my head, but now its fairly long on top, so I'd prefer not to go bald... not showing any signs of balding so that's okay. I have noticed some odd hairs emanating from my ears & I try to keep nose-hairs under control...

I have to say, at this age I'm having more success with the ladies than I ever had, so I'm cool with the grey...
    Does bollick hair go grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't have a problem with grey hair, the bits of ginger in my beard are turning grey, but I don't mind that at all, I think it makes me looked distinguished or wizardry.

What does annoy me is the random single hairs that just sprout out of weird places. I discovered a one and a half inch hair growing out of the top of my ear, right out of the helix. Another hair growing straight out of the tragus.

It's like they sprouted overnight and haven't grown back since I cut them, sneaky hair bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you have a problem knowing whether to use Grey or Gray

GrEy - England
    GrAy - America

biko wrote: »
    If you have a problem knowing whether to use Grey or Gray

GrEy - England
    GrAy - America

I am shocked, truly and absolutely shocked, that nobody in this thread has made the "Fifty Shades" joke. And thankful, did I mention thankful? :pac:

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Does bollick hair go grey.

Sure does, i've seen plenty of oldies in the sauna and none of the men or women are into keeping it neat and tidy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I have no grey hairs.

jester77 wrote: »
    Sure does, i've seen plenty of oldies in the sauna and none of the men or women are into keeping it neat and tidy.

I've always been bemused by this. Sure, it's trendy to hack it all off these days, and when I had the money I went full Brazilian until a bad waxer caused me a skin infection (TMI? Sorry), but it's not like it grows like head hair does and gets in the way or gets into things. It's just a patch of short hair that usually looks like it's keeping itself in check, like a lawn of self-limiting grass. What's really messy and untidy about it, unless you wear clothing that doesn't cover it? Other than personal preference, of course.

jester77 wrote: »
    Turning 40 next year and I've noticed one or two starting to appear on end of my chin. I suppose it will gradually makes it way to my head at some stage.

are you a man or a woman ? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Speedwell wrote: »
    I've always been bemused by this. Sure, it's trendy to hack it all off these days, and when I had the money I went full Brazilian until a bad waxer caused me a skin infection (TMI? Sorry),
    It's quite common. Pubes don't take kindly to being cut, the areas are sensitive to begin with and pubes being courser hair are going to cause more irritation as they grow back and are much more prone to infection because the roots often produce more than just sweat.

Shaving your pubes off will always run the risk of infection running wild through your nether regions.

Advertisement