Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grey (or Gray) Hair

Options
  • 10-04-2016 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭

Totally useless thread, but still.

I have to sadly admit that the grey hairs are becoming less anomalous and are snaking down over my ears quite noticeably. Doesn't help that I have quite long, very dark hair so they are screamingly noticeable. Especially when they spring up in a "look at me!" sort of way. Also, just going to say here, hair dye isn't taking on the little buggers much more than it ever did in my black hair. They mock my dye.

So then, when and where did you start noticing grey hairs? Do they aggravate you? (Are you OUTRAGED? Sorry.) Do you dye them? Pull them out? Are you yet resigned to them? Have you contemplated if you could encourage them to form a Rogue-like streak that you could then dye weird colours? If not, why the hell not?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭BlondeMoment

Grey hair on a man, its kinda sexy!

I dont have any myself....yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I found one natural one last Feb (2015) but I haven't got anymore since
    I love the grey hair trend though and I'm ridiculously dark naturally, I tried to go grey but it ended up turning green

First time I found a grey hair was a bit of a shocker. Then again...it was a pube, and it was in my burger...

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

I have had grey hair since I was in secondary school. I'm 31 now. Have always dyed it anyway so didn't really bother me. Now my hair isn't holding the colour as well so my roots are growing out very fast. I have found the new loreal magic retouch to be a godsend. It's great for keeping me ticking over til my next hair appointment. Especially if I am heading out for a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I think I started getting the odd grey strand when I was about twenty or twenty-one. They're just spreading now though. And yeeeet...in a weird way, I kinda like the silvery ones here and there.

Never could dye my hair though. Best I could get was "Well...in a strong light, there's a faint reddish glow, I guess?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Samaris wrote: »
    I have to sadly admit that the grey hairs are becoming less anomalous and are snaking down over my ears quite noticeably. Doesn't help that I have quite long, very dark hair so they are screamingly noticeable. Especially when they spring up in a "look at me!" sort of way. Also, just going to say here, hair dye isn't taking on the little buggers much more than it ever did in my black hair. They mock my dye.

Hate those wiry little bastards just tempting me to pull them. I'm not going to do it though because they're always on someone else's head, and that would be rude! :D

Nope, no grey hairs here at all yet, strangely enough too because there should be given that I'm nearly 40 and I have dark brown hair. You'd imagine I'd have at least one, but nope! Not sure what to make of it tbh :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

No mirror, so I wouldn't really be the one to say. But, when I cut my hair? Much Grey!

Frankly? It doesn't bother me an iota :)

But; When my pubes start turning white? My shotgun shall speak to me of my self disgust!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Few greys on me sides, not much bothered about em if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Few greys on me sides, not much bothered about em if I'm honest.
    How about yer back? :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Grey hair on a man, its kinda sexy!

Are we talking Marty Whelan grey or George Clooney grey?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Grey hair on a guy is sexy. On a woman, not so much. Dreading going grey myself.

Are we talking Marty Whelan grey or George Clooney grey?
    Well, as we're talking hair, Marty is off the agenda...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Stigura wrote: »
    No mirror, so I wouldn't really be the one to say. But, when I cut my hair? Much Grey!

Frankly? It doesn't bother me an iota :)

But; When my pubes start turning white? My shotgun shall speak to me of my self disgust!

Fcukin' Buckskin Bill over here with his shelves stacked with shotguns but not a mirror in sight

Fcukin' Buckskin Bill over here with his shelves stacked with shotguns but not a mirror in sight
    Die, pubes!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

47 now & a little bit of snow on the roof now. Just about noticeable up close.

At least it'll stop people accusing me of dying it for the last 10 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'm 27 and I've never got a grey hair. Not that I know of anyway! My hair is naturally blonde so it would be very hard to notice it if I got any I would say. My Dad went fully grey in his late 20's, my Mother is in her 50's and only has got a few grey hairs. I think grey hair looks great on some people!

Going grey is easy mode

Going bald is hard mode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

Going grey is easy mode

Going bald is hard mode

Bald also sexy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I am 20 and my hair has been getting white (not even gray just pure white) since I was 17.
    Huge patch of white on the front left, and a growing spreading of stray ones around all of my head.
    My mother was pure white by the time she was 26.
    Thanks genetic's!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Bald also sexy.

PM sent :p

Well for ye all with yer hair, cúnts :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

What on earth do ye imagine gun ownership has to do with mirror ownership? Or Buckskin, for that matter :confused:

Esel wrote: »
    Die, pubes!

Naah. Actually, it's to do with an image I once had thrust upon me. It featured white pubes. As for the rest? No need to know :(

If mine ever go white? I'll have to shave them off, or shoot my fukcing self. I couldn't keep getting reminded of that vile image.

Anyway; Sorry. Not to bring the thread down .... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I got my first grey hair when I was in my early twenties. I panicked at first but it was years before I got another one. My hair didn't become noticeably grey until I was in my early thirties. I had long hair years ago but cutting it shorter made the grey hairs less noticeable. Now I'm 40 and I still have more black hair than grey. On the other hand my 27 year old nephew is almost bald so I'm just glad I have hair.

Sorry to burst yizzer bubble, but there is no such thing as grey hair (unless it can be dyed grey...).

It's white.

Feel better now? :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

failinis wrote: »
    I am 20 and my hair has been getting white (not even gray just pure white) since I was 17.
    Huge patch of white on the front left, and a growing spreading of stray ones around all of my head.
    Thanks genetic's!

That's something like my uncle on my father's side - he went white overnight! Like went to bed with black hair, woke with a head of snow white hair! My brother was born with ginger hair, and then around 7 his hair turned the same colour as mine, dark brown. He went bald in his 30's.

Meanwhile I have a stupidly thick head of hair that shows no signs of falling out, though if I develop the bald spot on the back like my old man (to look at him from the front, he'd a full head of hair like a wire brush, massive bald spot round back! :D), I'm just going to shave it all off!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

failinis wrote: »
    Thanks genetic's!

Okay, that's kinda awesome in a weird way. Was she very pale before that or was it a really noticeable dark-to-white change?

That's something like my uncle on my father's side - he went white overnight! Like went to bed with black hair, woke with a head of snow white hair!

Pics or ....

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

My other half has a few grey hairs that you can barely see but I still like to take the credit for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I've got a clump of grey hair on the front of my head,I use that just for men with the brush applicator and wash it out ten minutes later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

That's something like my uncle on my father's side - he went white overnight! Like went to bed with black hair, woke with a head of snow white hair!
    :eek: Don't be talking of that to me!
    Oh my brother has a bald spot just like my dad - rather take white hair over no hair!
    Samaris wrote: »
    Okay, that's kinda awesome in a weird way. Was she very pale before that or was it a really noticeable dark-to-white change?

She had fair brown hair, in summer she would get natural blond highlights. She did not get lighter hair, just suddenly white hairs.
    Apparently hair loss and white hair are fairly genetic and are passed down, seems to be my case :pac:
    Esel wrote: »
    Pics or ....

This gives examples of reported cases and says its hard to prove but that going grey within a few weeks is possible for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Grey hair on a guy is sexy. On a woman, not so much. Dreading going grey myself.

So hard to tell seeing as most women dye their hair anyway, but people like Julie Walters rock the grey hair and I know she's older so it suits but I see know reason why it shouldn't work on someone younger same way it does for us gents, you'd also be guaranteed to stand out in a crowd.

Advertisement