Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your personal hygiene?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think you are actually weakening your immune system.

Probably not "weakening" really, but "mis-educating" (?) maybe.

Since Lexie's a grown-up, it's not that important any more, but for kids a super sterile environment can be linked to allergy and asthma.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygiene_hypothesis

It's not weakness, more a hypersensitivity. Attacking inappropriately with limited rationale. Less France, more United States.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've my annual shower pencilled in for the 31st April. I'd say my co-workers can't wait.

You sound awful notiony Lexie and I doubt towel cleaning is the only extreme thing you do.

It's shockin' when people get the Notions. My wife's from the West. She moved AboveToDublin and caught the Notions shortly afterwards. He family were gutted for her :(

As I'm from Dublin myself, I have chronic Notions, so we bonded over that at least.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Is the notions what you get when you eat too much Bran Flakes and have to go to the toilet and bring frozen toilet paper?

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Is the notions what you get when you eat too much Bran Flakes and have to go to the toilet and bring frozen toilet paper?

Symptoms are different for everyone. If that's what they do in your home town, then no. Otherwise, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Sure I moved from South Dublin to North Dublin so I need to her my notions in check.
    Recently bought eygyptian cotton bed sheets

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

No, that's motions. AKA bowel movements, used to describe the peristalsis of muscles in the colon moving food through the digestive tract. Also the panicked hand movements urging people to clear a path to the bathroom for you, like the parting of the Red Sea.

Sure I moved from South Dublin to North Dublin so I need to her my notions in check.
    Recently bought eygyptian cotton bed sheets

That's Terrible Notions Altogether, possibly the most severe form of the condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Shower every morning. I know a lot of people who shower at night and not in the morning which is not something I could do - I have to shower in the morning before going to work, I wouldn't feel clean doing it the night before then sleeping and just getting up and changing.

I've my annual shower pencilled in for the 31st April. I'd say my co-workers can't wait.

You.

Every time I see you in any kind of hygiene thread I think to myself, remember that time Boom Bap birthed the 6lb brown trout....:eek::D

• Advertisement

You wash a towel that has been used once, at 95???? :eek:
    What germs do you HAVE?

(I don't know how your towels stay fluffy if you're washing them at that temp so often...)

I hate fluffy towels. I like having a few on show in the bathroom but from a functional point of view, you cant beat a good old scratchy towel to really dry you and scrub off those dead skin cells :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Normally i have 1-2 showers a day, but last week i had the pleasure of 5 showers in one day :)

#1 shower before going to work
    #2 shower after arriving in hotel 5 hours later, before sleeping and sending uniform/underwear for dry cleaning/laundry
    #3 shower before leaving hotel 3 hours later.
    #4 shower after arriving in another city hotel before sleeping and sending uniform/underwear for dry cleaning/laundry
    #5 shower before leaving that hotel 10 hours later.

I dread the idea i might have body odour, so i use an american deodorant called Certain Dri and lots of talcum powder.

People sneezing/scratching their balls, wiping their hand under their bisto pits and then opening a door or touching the rails on the luas. Wash hands, use hand sanitizer.

I wouldn't share your enthusiasm for the whole single use pyjama thing and am probably guilty of more than a few "quick showers" in place of the scrubbing, rinse, repeat ritual but I do agree with you on the touching of anything in public. People really are disgusting with their bad hygiene and snorting and coughing and not washing hands etc. I wouldn't be taking chances on touching any of that stuff unless I have to and even then I have the sanitizer handy at all times. Even at home, I was home studying a while back and my ásshole brother didn't know I was in the study which is right next to the bathroom and he went in, did his business, blew his nose and then walked out! What the actual fúck is wrong with the Neanderthal? In work a few years back I was in a cubicle and someone came into the one next to me, did their business and then left without washing their hands. Presumably then went swanning off around the office touching printers and coffee machine buttons? Yack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I shower once every day or two like a normal well balanced person without any underlying phycological issues.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I shower once every day or two like a normal well balanced person without any underlying phycological issues.

Your algae are not problematic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

You guys get pet hair allergy, hay fever, that sort of thing?

If not, did you grow up around animals, lot of outdoors time?

Yep. Always had pets growing up. Pet dogs. Pet cats. Pet cows. No allergies to animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Shower every morning. I know a lot of people who shower at night and not in the morning which is not something I could do - I have to shower in the morning before going to work, I wouldn't feel clean doing it the night before then sleeping and just getting up and changing.

I do this about half of the time, it's honestly grand... If I work out in the morning I'll obviously shower afterwards but on non-gym mornings every minute in bed is previous :P

Showering at night and then just lounging around or going straight to bed*, you'd be perfectly clean the next morning unless it was unusually warm a night.
    *alone :P

The thoughts of going in for a bikini wax not freshly showered though, gack :(

You sound awful notiony Lexie and I doubt towel cleaning is the only extreme thing you do.

Ahh, mouldy gowl. The inspiration for this thread.

That's exactly what I call him.

Mouldy :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I hate fluffy towels. I like having a few on show in the bathroom but from a functional point of view, you cant beat a good old scratchy towel to really dry you and scrub off those dead skin cells :D
    Oh I personally prefer scratchy towels too! :) But Lexie said she prefers fluffy towels.

• Advertisement

If I wasn't a lazy prick, I would link the last one.
    The smell of nox is still lingering.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭saram

Shower twice a day at least.. 1st thing in the morning and right away after coming home from work after a long day.
    Scrub myself down with body wash lotion etc and try to be thorough.. feet etc.

Cant bare having a smell but I prob still do.
    Brush teeth 3- 4 times a day including after lunch..

Use some face and body moistureiser/lotion as well for good measure.
    I like to think I take care decent enough care of my hygiene.

That's exactly what I call him.

Mouldy :p

Leave my balls out of this. No one needs to know about my infections

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Tipperary Fairy

Went down on my boyfriend the other night when it was 48 hours since he had showered.

I haven't died yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭captain caveman

In my experience, I find that a lot of women are worse than guys for showering regularly... Which really surprised me coz blokes can be sick!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Went down on my boyfriend the other night when it was 48 hours since he had showered.

I haven't died yet.

I doubt he'd be to happy to return the favor in the same circumstances though... :eek:

I haven't died yet.

... There's no way to respond to that without meaning to sound much cruder than I intend to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Your algae are not problematic?

Mudder-Ducker!

You got me Atomic. I hereby reject my smartiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Random though, but how did people have sex when it was common not to wash at all or only wash once a year, yet they must have or we all wouldn't be here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Tipperary Fairy

I doubt he'd be to happy to return the favor in the same circumstances though... :eek:

He would. But I wouldn't let him as I wouldn't be comfortable with it.

We're both pretty aware of hygiene and there'd be no problems if I had said listen you stink go have a shower. It was my choice. He was fine.

Advertisement