Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your personal hygiene?

Options
  • 10-04-2016 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭

I'm curious, do most people shower every day and wear clean clothes?
    I ask because I work mostly dealing with women, and quite close to them too. What really surprises me is how bad A LOT of people actually smell. From their breath right down to them smelling like they don't change their underwear or at least that's what I think the smell is. Well dressed, respectable women, that would floor you with BO.

I know the general consensus is shower daily, brush your teeth twice daily, change your underwear, wear clean clothes and sleep on clean sheets. But is this really as common as one would think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

*waits for [snipped]*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Shower at least once a day, every morning and sometimes evening as well.

Fresh clothes every day.

I work with some guys and I'd say Saturday is still bath night, the whang off them is outrageous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

I knew someone who only washed when these cleanliness threads came up, so about once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Shower 4-5 per week
    3 shirts changes per week work
    2 trouser changes per week work
    2-3 non work outfits per week
    Clean socks and underwear daily
    Teeth twice daily
    Sheets every 2nd week

Shower daily, first layer must be changed daily, shirts, teeshirts, boxers, and socks. But will use a sweatshirt a few times, and jeans will stay out of the wash for ages...but only wear them on weekends anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

I shower most days. Clean underwear and clothes of course. Brush my teeth twice a day but I want to start bringing a toothbrush to work for after lunch. Should probably change my sheets a bit more often than I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

I shower twice a day, once in morning once in evening, and when it gets very hot maybe more, change all my clothes daily, I smell gorgeous :-)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Shower every second day. Unless its hot weather or you are doing physically strenuous work I don't see the obsession with showering every day or twice a day. Clean underwear every day. Change bed sheets every 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭BlondeMoment

I have yet to wash the shame and regret off me from last night..!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I wash after every client. Every client is made to wash before the session.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Lucyfur wrote: »
    *waits for Nox001*

Ugh that tread was disgusting.

Wash yerselves ye absolute cretins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I shower most days, unless I'm staying at home and then I couldn't be bothered! I wash my hair every second day.

I change my clothes and underwear every day.

I know someone who clearly never has a shower and never changes or washes his clothes. I actually feel sick when he comes into the room because the smell is so disgusting. It takes like 5 minutes to have a shower, I don't know why someone wouldn't ever have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Shower daily, of after excercise, 3 times yesterday but that was a once off.
    Generally wear rotate work trousers every 2/3 days and would then wash them fortnightly.
    Work shirts are washed daily.
    Jeans are probably washed after multiple wears.

I tend to find the thing I noticed most is some of the gym clothes starting to smell funny after a few months of wear, Nike seem to be the worst for this and their dri-fit material, so I bin the offenders and restock.

Haven't come across anyone with bad BO in a while, worst offender I can think of recently is a girl what that peculiar smell of what I'd describe as slightly damp clothes. Hard to explain properly but you'd know this smell when you got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I brush my teeth in the morning and before bed but the amount of people with bad breath is making me paranoid so I'll probably start doing it more.
    I shower in the morning time to wake myself up but love nighttime showers, good scrub to get the day off me. I only wash my hair every 2nd/3rd day though.

Love clean clothes. Fresh clothes for work, fresh pjs after shower. If any item of clothing comes off me, it doesn't go back on til it's washed. Towels used once. Face cloths used once.
    Bedsheets changed once a week unless the dogs sneaked up on the bed then it's changed more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I have given up going to local t***o supermarket because one of the male 'managerial /supervisory' staff smells so bad .... Can't even walk down shop aisle if he is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Ugh that tread was disgusting.

Wash yerselves ye absolute cretins.

Apt username! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

I can't fathom why people stink in this day and age.

Shower, Anti-p and a nice subtle aftershave. Job done. Washing clothes helps too!!!!!!

I can't fathom why people stink in this day and age.

Shower, Anti-p and a nice subtle aftershave. Job done. Washing clothes helps too!!!!!!

What surprises me is that they're well dressed, well spoken, they look clean, but the bang off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Shower 4-5 times a week, wash my hair 3 times a week, brush my teeth 2-3 times a day, floss 3-4 times a day, bed sheets changed every 2 weeks, PJs changed 2-3 times a week, clean socks and underwear every day, outer clothes changed when they're dirty be that after 1 wear or 4, antiperspirants every morning. Couldn't cope thinking I smelled bad or looked dirty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

What surprises me is that they're well dressed, well spoken, they look clean, but the bang off them.

Agreed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Shower every morning, can't start day without it
    Clean underwear and clothes every day also.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,253 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Shower daily before leaving for work.

Can't understand how a grown adult would go to work smelly. Nothing worse than the stink of BO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

kieran. wrote: »
    Shower 4-5 per week
    3 shirts changes per week work
    2 trouser changes per week work
    2-3 non work outfits per week
    Clean socks and underwear daily
    Teeth twice daily
    Sheets every 2nd week

That's about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭MacauDragon

I shower 9 times a day.

There's something wrong with you if you don't have at least 8 showers a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The combination of naturally oily skin and over-active sweat glands means I have to shower a couple of times a day. Already last week alone I was asked by a couple of people at different times "Did you run all the way here?", "Were you away on holidays? You got a great colour!" (nice way of suggesting "You've a head like a tomato!").

So obviously that means I've to change my clothes a couple of times a day too, and bedsheets and covers daily (I could wring myself out in the morning!), but other than that I do the usual like brushing my teeth morning, noon and night, shave maybe three times a week (which is more becoming a daily thing like I'm going through a second puberty or something, it's bizarre!).

Fingernails and toes are trimmed regularly, I don't know how women type with shellacs, well, I do, they use the pads of their fingers, but it's still weird! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Been a fair few problems at work over the years over some fellas bad hygiene. ONe was so bad that you literally couldn't breathe around him. Smelled like something had died and just hung around him in a general miasma.

Sometimes it's an indication of other problems I think. Mental issues, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭MacauDragon

The combination of naturally oily skin and over-active sweat glands means I have to shower a couple of times a day. Already last week alone I was asked by a couple of people at different times "Did you run all the way here?", "Were you away on holidays? You got a great colour!" (nice way of suggesting "You've a head like a tomato!").

So obviously that means I've to change my clothes a couple of times a day too, and bedsheets and covers daily (I could wring myself out in the morning!), but other than that I do the usual like brushing my teeth morning, noon and night, shave maybe three times a week (which is more becoming a daily thing like I'm going through a second puberty or something, it's bizarre!).

Fingernails and toes are trimmed regularly, I don't know how women type with shellacs, well, I do, they use the pads of their fingers, but it's still weird! :pac:

I heard bread soda was good for that.

Roll around in bread soda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

Based on everywhere I've worked, I think approx 10% of people don't understand basic hygiene.

The reluctance of management to tackle the issue for fear of offending someone is far too prevalent.

When you nearly gag in the presence of a colleague due to their BO, how do they fail to notice that, even if they have can't smell it themselves, they should notice how people step back from him etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

I don't know what kind of people you all spend time with but I have to say it's not an issue I generally see!!!

I have had to send out emails in a previous job regarding rotating uniforms and using deodorant but that was in a warehouse environment with a lot of physical work going on.

In a my current professional environment everyone is enough of a grown up to wash themselves!

• Advertisement

Ugh the one personal hygiene job I absolutely hate, that completely disgusts me is cutting my toenails. I hate it. It's like nails on a blackboard. I'll happily spend the money on pedicures every few weeks so I don't have to cut them myself. Sometimes I'll get lmii to do it but I'll never ever cut my own

Advertisement