Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your personal hygiene?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

I adhere to all the above-stated cleanliness norms, but when it comes to changing my bed-sheets I really cba. Might change em every couple of months or more. It's just too much hassle, what with all the stretching and the tucking in and the clambering over the bed. Don't even get me started on the duvet cover. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I adhere to all the above-stated cleanliness norms, but when it comes to changing my bed-sheets I really cba. Might change em every couple of months or more. It's just too much hassle, what with all the stretching and the tucking in and the clambering over the bed. Don't even get me started on the duvet cover. :mad:

Yeah, I'm the same tbh. Shower every day and use deodorant, wash hair every 2/3 days, all the rest of it but when it comes to changing sheets I'm pretty slack. Being single means no ahem, naughty stains etc so I might change my sheets every 6/8 weeks. It's just such a palaver. Although I should probably do it more often. I'm a fierce dribbler in me sleep. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Use some white vinegar in the wash or lemon juice. It kills the bacteria that causes the smell.
    I shower every morning, twice 3 mornings when I'm in the gym (before and after ) clean underwear everyday, but some jeans would get a 2nd or 3rd wear, depends how messy the baby is.
    I was a barber for 22 years.. fcuk me but some people should be introduced to water.. and I'd have to put my hands in their hair ...ugh... It'd make you sick up in your mouth sometimes.

I also make my own deodorant. Distilled water, Epsom salts, baking soda and a couple of drops of tea tree oil. Best stuff ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Shower and change underwear daily, jeans and jumpers twice a week but if i hadn't time especially in winter I don't think it would be the end of the world of I missed a day without a shower.

Showering twice a day unless doing exercise seems like a bit of an obsession.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I would like to shower in the mornings but sometimes I can't get out of bed in time (so instead its a shower in afternoon).
    Over summer it might be 2 showers day if the sun is beating it down.
    Teeth need to be brushed at least twice a day, I feel grim with out doing that.
    Underwear/socks changed and washed daily, tshirts/jumpers just depend on if they get dirty.

A realation of mine never brushes his teeth and rarely showers, the reek off him! You actually don't want to sit beside him, it sounds awful but its so bad. He does has autism though so maybe its not on his list of priorities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Tipperary Fairy

Brush and floss teeth twice a day, or sometimes more if i'm eating lunch in.
    Wash clothes when they're smelly or visibly dirty.
    Shower just about every day (going on hikes in 25° average means you have to) at night, as this is just most natural time to. Wash my hair every 4 days, more or less as necessary.
    Bed clothes, as at home, I couldn't tell you. Whenever I notice that they're not fresh, but absolutely nowhere near fortnightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭CFlat

mad muffin wrote: »
    I wash after every client. Every client is made to wash before the session.

Golden showers don't count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

I wash myself with a rag on a stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I shower every morning, can't leave the house until I do. If I go to the gym, play football or whatever else then I'll have a 2nd shower. Will only wear a tshirt, boxers, socks once but jeans or trousers will be worn a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

Andre 3000 wrote: »
    I wash myself with a rag on a stick.

Check you, all high and mighty with your rag! Some of us just have to use a stick

• Advertisement

Usually a shower in the morning but if it's not too warm and I'm going to bed late, at night. One after work when it's really hot.

My big problem is my breath so I have mouthwash a couple of times during the day. Coffee and cigarettes stink.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Twice a day. Cycle to work shower. Cycle home shower.

Go through a serious amount of clothes tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭MacauDragon

Ran out of unterpanten the other day. Had to keep wearing the same schitz soiled pair.
    By day 3 they looked like a map of the trenches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

I have to say I would feel 'icky' if I didn't shower in the morning. It's part of my waking up ritual - shower, shave, good dose of the electric toothbrush, style hair, a nice deo, whack on the moisturiser (seems to solve rasor burn and make your skin nice), clean clothes and you're ready for the day.

The only bad smell I notice is people who are wearing 'sour' (partly fermented) clothes. Stuff that hasn't been dried properly after washing or damp coats.

I've noticed that odd bout of bad breath and a few oeolel who seem to not metabolise onions very well but mostly my friend and colleague seem to smell OK.

Also I did have to sit beside a guy in school who had very smelly shoes. Wasn't too pleasant.

I find smokers smell a lot worse than they realise too. That stale smoke smell is very noticeable.

I can't say I've smelled actual bad BO though.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Shower once a day, twice if I do any exercise. Teeth at least once a day, socks & underwear changed every day, trousers, shirts, tops - not as frequently.

Went to a 21st two weeks ago, young guys strolls up to the bar beside me and I swear to Christ, my eyes were watering, the bang of BO would drop a bloodhound. Who goes to a party/occasion without at least washing themselves or showering in this day and age?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Shower every second day.
    Sheets change every week
    Teeth twice/three times a day.
    Tops worn once.
    Pants worn twice
    Underwear every day.

As a lady, during our 'monthly special' the cleaning and underwear changes would increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I have two showers a day. Clean undies every day. Change clothes daily. Wash hands after the toilet and before preparing food. Change the bed sheets every 3 or 4 days. I carry hand sanitiser with me at all times.

The amount of people in work with who think rinsing your finger tips for 3 seconds counts as washing your hands after using the toilet is staggering. I also work with a few who seem to do the once a week wash only. Bleedin bang off them and it's only going to get worse coming into summer. Yeesh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Working as a gardener I have a shower in the morning and in the evening after work.
    I usually use Holland and Barrett organic Roll on's or earthy health shop deodorants.
    Those salty earthy crystal one's are great too.
    I change my underwear every day my first T-shirt every day.
    Usually wear two T-shirts,a long-sleeved T-shirt and warm woolen sweater during the winter.
    Summer time it's a T-shirt mostly with a light hoodie
    4 layers does the job in winter time.
    Moisturizer under the armpits can help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

12Phase wrote: »
    I have to say I would feel 'icky' if I didn't shower in the morning. It's part of my waking up ritual - shower, shave, good dose of the electric toothbrush, style hair, a nice deo, whack on the moisturiser (seems to solve rasor burn and make your skin nice), clean clothes and you're ready for the day.
    h.

I read this in the voice of Patrick Bateman..lol. I bet you like Phil Collins and Huey Lewis too. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Shower about once a month, haven't changed me jocks in 8 weeks, more skid marks on them than a runway at Dublin airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mattser

Showers 2/3 times a day? Only if you work in an abattoir ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I shower twice a day - morning before I go to work and when I come home in the evening. Fresh jocks and socks and a fresh shirt daily. I wear suits in work, so they obviously don't get dry cleaned daily - I'll have pants that I wear that are machine washable and if I'm office bound for the day.

I have to say I'm acutely aware of bad breath - it's natural and no sign of poor hygiene. So depending on what I eat, I'll have chewing gum if I'm going to a meeting. I was speaking to someone last Wednesday and his bad breath was unbearable.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The obsession with showering by some posters on here is bordering on OCD in my opinion. You actually strip the skin of its natural oils and nutrients if you shower too much.

What on Earth did people do in the 70s and 80s when baths were the norm and showering was a novelty? And people only took a bath maybe twice a week? Did everyone reek back then?

Yes, there are people with poor personal hygiene issues but I'd wager that these days there are many more clean freaks!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,827 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It generally works around my gym routine so Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday evenings and I also shower on Sunday mornings. Fair play to those of ye who shower before going to work. I couldn't give up any minute of my morning that doesn't involve breakfast, getting dressed and brushing my hair and teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭annmarie mayo

I know someone who showers one a week changes there clothes once a week

Most thing that smells on someone is the private bites and breath

I know someone who showers one a week changes there clothes once a week

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The obsession with showering by some posters on here is bordering on OCD in my opinion. You actually strip the skin of its natural oils and nutrients if you shower too much.

What on Earth did people do in the 70s and 80s when baths were the norm and showering was a novelty? And people only took a bath maybe twice a week? Did everyone reek back then?

Yes, there are people with poor personal hygiene issues but I'd wager that these days there are many more clean freaks!

The 1970s was just smellier.

The copious amounts of cigarette smoke meant they all had less sensitive noses back then though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

JupiterKid wrote: »

It's a reflection of society in general. It's no bad thing either. Rather that than people not showering!

If you have a quick shower once a day and concentrate on the bits that secrete smell (armpits, gentleman's region, butt etc) you won't do your skin that much harm. If you're standing there everyday for 10 mins lathering yourself up singing ABBA's greatest hits and doing this 2/3 times a day then you're asking for dry skin.

I also try to avoid washing my hair too much, not good for the hair or scalp.

• Advertisement

The correct term is "a gentlemen's unmentionable nether region"

Advertisement