Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should the purchase of sex be legal or illegal in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Berserker wrote: »
    I have strong feelings on this issue. It should be illegal to buy and sell sex in Ireland. Both parties, caught in the act, should be prosecuted (jailed).

Any reasoning to offer on the subject though, or is it mainly just "feelings" you have on the subject? Because I am not seeing any reason to think what you propose is useful or required at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I have strong feelings on this issue. It should be illegal to buy and sell sex in Ireland. Both parties, caught in the act, should be prosecuted (jailed). The police here could shut down this "business" or the vast majority of it quite quickly by performing a series of aggressive raids on known hotels and residences, from which prostitution is sold. That'd make the men and women who buy sex think twice. If men and women weren't willing to pay for it, the prostitutes wouldn't work here.

Great plan. Use the same techniques that have been so effective in shutting down the drugs trade to put an end to the oldest profession in the world. :rolleyes:

silverharp wrote: »
    Sure, there probably are other professions that have a burnout rate or lead to depression etc. but there is a stigma to sex work and an 18 or 19 year old might equate it to "au pairing" for a few years but it might not be so easy.

That's a bit of a shift though. You started talking about psychological consequences. But in replying to me here you have shifted to stigma.

They are two entirely different things. Though there is some overlap. The stigma of the work likely does lend a lot to the consequences sex workers suffer. Physical and psychological. For example the stigma of sex work makes sex workers less likely to report rape, abuse or other crimes against them.

But surely normalization though legalization and regulation is the best way to go to reduce the stigma and therefore help alleviate that issue? It would seem to me that making it illegal, and pushing it underground, has the exact opposite effect.
    moral or immoral are not words I would use but on the face of it, it could be damaging to the woman depending on what her future goals are

Again this is not unique to sex work. There are many roles one might enter that previous roles might preclude you from or at least make it more difficult. This is for the person making such choices to be aware of themselves.

That said I wonder how much of an effect it actually does have. It is not like sex workers put sex work on their CV, or that people even know they were ever sex workers. There may even be people in your own inner circles, social or family, who have done sex work and you simply do not know.

As for a blank CV I wonder if there are any figures on how many sex workers do it full time or part time. Most of the sex workers I ever knew were actually college girls who were using sex work.... usually in the numbers of 1 or 2 clients a month..... often the same client or clients repeated rather than different ones each time....... so not exactly a lot.......... to subsidize their educational income during the college period.

And there is that half comedy image sometimes used of phone sex workers doing their job while actually doing the ironing. :)

So no gaps in CV there. It is not a given. But again anyone making a choice to do anything that will leave a gap on their CV.... should be doing so with eyes open. That much I would certainly agree on.

But again remember that the post you replied to was me questioning the morality and legality of prostitution with someone. And the concerns you list are not exactly relevant to that. They are concerns, sure, but not really ones that say anything about the point you originally replied to.
    well I would because I would like to think I had passed on values like investing in oneself and delayed gratification. A prostitute would strike me as someone that wants to short circuit long term planning and just wants "shiny" things now.

Not a view of sex workers I share. I think the reasons people get into sex work are as diverse as any other industry. Merely assuming they are doing so to get pointless material possessions in the short term is not an assumption I share or see much basis for.

Certainly not one SINGLE example of sex workers I have known personally even remotely fit into this assumption. Nor any of the ones I have read about either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Speedwell wrote: »
    Well, then, they seem to be your psychological consequences.

everybody judges everybody else in society, whether all assessments are correct is one thing but they cant be my "psychological consequences". Surely if someone introduced themselves to you as an Engineer you would have an opinion about them and if a second person introduced themselves as a people trafficker you would have a different opinion about them?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I have strong feelings on this issue. It should be illegal to buy and sell sex in Ireland. Both parties, caught in the act, should be prosecuted (jailed). The police here could shut down this "business" or the vast majority of it quite quickly by performing a series of aggressive raids on known hotels and residences, from which prostitution is sold. That'd make the men and women who buy sex think twice. If men and women weren't willing to pay for it, the prostitutes wouldn't work here.

I agree with this.

Especially the prosecution of both parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

everybody judges everybody else in society, whether all assessments are correct is one thing but they cant be my "psychological consequences". Surely if someone introduced themselves to you as an Engineer you would have an opinion about them and if a second person introduced themselves as a people trafficker you would have a different opinion about them?

They're your psychological consequences because you're the one suffering voluntarily for the choices made by someone else, choices that don't affect you unless your theoretical daughter in prostitution involves you directly. They're not her psychological consequences unless she's the one who suffers them, which is not in evidence.

That's a bit of a shift though. You started talking about psychological consequences. But in replying to me here you have shifted to stigma.

They are two entirely different things. Though there is some overlap. The stigma of the work likely does lend a lot to the consequences sex workers suffer. Physical and psychological. For example the stigma of sex work makes sex workers less likely to report rape, abuse or other crimes against them.

But surely normalization though legalization and regulation is the best way to go to reduce the stigma and therefore help alleviate that issue? It would seem to me that making it illegal, and pushing it underground, has the exact opposite effect.

not a shift, I just said there are consequences that such an individual may not have thought about later on I mentioned possible psychological issues. I agree that there should not be any legal barriers and there should be sensible regulations but I still cant see a day where nobody has an opinion on whether someone is a teacher versus someone that is a prostitute hence there will always be consequences.

Again this is not unique to sex work. There are many roles one might enter that previous roles might preclude you from or at least make it more difficult. This is for the person making such choices to be aware of themselves.

That said I wonder how much of an effect it actually does have. It is not like sex workers put sex work on their CV, or that people even know they were ever sex workers. There may even be people in your own inner circles, social or family, who have done sex work and you simply do not know.

As for a blank CV I wonder if there are any figures on how many sex workers do it full time or part time. Most of the sex workers I ever knew were actually college girls who were using sex work.... usually in the numbers of 1 or 2 clients a month..... often the same client or clients repeated rather than different ones each time....... so not exactly a lot.......... to subsidize their educational income during the college period.

And there is that half comedy image sometimes used of phone sex workers doing their job while actually doing the ironing. :)

So no gaps in CV there. It is not a given. But again anyone making a choice to do anything that will leave a gap on their CV.... should be doing so with eyes open. That much I would certainly agree on.

But again remember that the post you replied to was me questioning the morality and legality of prostitution with someone. And the concerns you list are not exactly relevant to that. They are concerns, sure, but not really ones that say anything about the point you originally replied to.

I tend to use "moral" for things where you would damage another individual so its not a word I would use with prostitution. it just comes down to whether individuals will judge the individual negatively in certain situations. So even if its a part time college girl , some might think they are being inventive to get around a money issue and others might view her as having some character flaws
    Not a view of sex workers I share. I think the reasons people get into sex work are as diverse as any other industry. Merely assuming they are doing so to get pointless material possessions in the short term is not an assumption I share or see much basis for.

Certainly not one SINGLE example of sex workers I have known personally even remotely fit into this assumption. Nor any of the ones I have read about either.

it depends on the situation, someone who finds themselves in financial distress maybe with kids would in my mind be making a logical choice. At that stage protecting their reputation isn't of high concern.
    A college student on the other hand might be risking exposure later which would damage their reputation. I just cant think why a girl say 18-30 would be better off by either being a part time or full time prostitute, all the risks seem to be to the downside.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Much like the war on drugs. It's a battle that can never be won. Once people like you finally realise this, you might actually decide that dealing with the "problem" head-on, rather than outlawing it and burying your head in the sand will be a much better way of addressing it. You can't criminalise consensual sex.

armaghlad wrote: »
    Much like the war on drugs. It's a battle that can never be won. Once people like you finally realise this, you might actually decide that dealing with the "problem" head-on, rather than outlawing it and burying your head in the sand will be a much better way of addressing it. You can't criminalise consensual sex.

In this case there is no consensuality.

hinault wrote: »
    In this case there is no consensuality.
    You'll have to explain that.

• Advertisement

You'll have to explain that.

hinault wrote: »
    That logic makes no sense. It's like saying a person can't exceed 50kph, because the state has imposed a speed limit.

That logic makes no sense.

You're giving your opinion rather than relying on logic.

not a shift

Yet the distinction between psychological consequences and stigma should still be clear. Stigma is not a psychological consequence. It might LEAD to one, but that is a kind shift in discussion between psychological consequences, and causes of psychological consequences.
    I still cant see a day where nobody has an opinion on whether someone is a teacher versus someone that is a prostitute hence there will always be consequences.

But again that is not a consequence. What might lead FROM being judged in this fashion might be, but the judgement itself is not. The same point could be made about toilet cleaners, repo-men, and trained government killers. That people might judge you for you job is quite clear.

As I said the post you originally replied to from me was a post relating to the morality of prostitution. And I am not seeing how a discussion on how people might judge a prostitute for being a prostitute is relevant to what you originally replied to?
    I tend to use "moral" for things where you would damage another individual so its not a word I would use with prostitution.

So would I to a point, but I would mediate that with things like consent too. For example the sport of Boxing.... clearly the goal is to perform some damage to your opponent in Boxing. But your opponent has consented to be there in that knowledge. So damage alone is not enough to mediate morality on.
    it just comes down to whether individuals will judge the individual negatively in certain situations.

Which has nothing to do with whether sex work is moral or not. I hate to keep saying that, but I genuinely do not see how any of this is relevant to where you entered into the discussion with me.

People judge other people for the work they do, and why they do it. I get that. You evidenced this yourself by your own judgement of why they do this kind of work.... a judgement which does not appear to map onto the reality I have observed. But so what? What is the point I am missing here?
    A college student on the other hand might be risking exposure later which would damage their reputation.

Agreed, she "might", but I am forced again to ask "so what?". As long as she is making this choice herself, and it is an informed choice, what business is it of ours? I really am not seeing the connection between your points and mine here and am genuinely floundering to parse it.

They're your psychological consequences because you're the one suffering voluntarily for the choices made by someone else, choices that don't affect you unless your theoretical daughter in prostitution involves you directly. They're not her psychological consequences unless she's the one who suffers them, which is not in evidence.

I don't quite get you. We live in a society where based on your point of view we judge others behaviour or lifestyles. whether you work hard or are lazy , whether you create your wealth or steal it. Its not about me as an individual, its about my interpretation of the shared values which lead to success both careerwise and socially. My daughter isn't theoretical , and I would indeed be horrified if she was to become a sex worker in the future as an adult, most parents would agree with me.
    If you wanted to introduce data, I would like to see a good study on how Prostitutes fare in life, do they have higher drug use , more health issues either physically or mentally or do they have more failed relationships.

If you wanted to introduce data, I would like to see a good study on how Prostitutes fare in life, do they have higher drug use , more health issues either physically or mentally or do they have more failed relationships.

I would love to see a good one too because the ones I see are far from good. Basically all the studies I have seen do literally nothing to distinguish between whether prostitution led to the types of things you list here, or whether they types of things you list here led to prostitution. Or neither.

In other words I am seeing little in the studies to show if A links to B, B links to A, or if A and B are merely correlative coincidences.

And worse the studies appear to compile the subjects of such studies in ways that are highly likely (and possibly even intended) to skew the results. For example if they compile subjects by going into drug rehab programs and finding sex workers there....... then their figures are clearly not going to include college students who are selling sex twice a month to a single regular customer to subsidize their education.

And on top of all that what the studies and figures certainly do not show is that IF sex work leads to things like higher drug use.... why that might be. As with the stigma point earlier.... it could likely be that the stigmatization and underground nature of sex work is a heavy factor in this.... rather than sex work in and of itself.

So yes a good study would be GREAT to see. Alas they appear thin on the ground. But alas the ability to study it openly and well is another casualty of many of those that struggle to ban or stigmatize it.

I don't quite get you. We live in a society where based on your point of view we judge others behaviour or lifestyles. whether you work hard or are lazy , whether you create your wealth or steal it. Its not about me as an individual, its about my interpretation of the shared values which lead to success both careerwise and socially. My daughter isn't theoretical , and I would indeed be horrified if she was to become a sex worker in the future as an adult, most parents would agree with me.

I was talking about when you said, "One could see the that there might be psychological consequences of working in the sex industry or otherwise miscalculating the situation. I would certainly think I'd have failed as a parent if my daughter ended up in the sex industry." Otherwise your paternalism is unwarranted and unwelcome.

Yet the distinction between psychological consequences and stigma should still be clear. Stigma is not a psychological consequence. It might LEAD to one, but that is a kind shift in discussion between psychological consequences, and causes of psychological consequences.

As a general principle though people get esteem by having a roll in the community. A prostitute mostly has to live a double life where that part of her life has to be contained, most likely she cant tell her friends or family or is living away from home and inventing a cover story life for her family that isn't real. Its a messy situation one way or another.

But again that is not a consequence. What might lead FROM being judged in this fashion might be, but the judgement itself is not. The same point could be made about toilet cleaners, repo-men, and trained government killers. That people might judge you for you job is quite clear.

As I said the post you originally replied to from me was a post relating to the morality of prostitution. And I am not seeing how a discussion on how people might judge a prostitute for being a prostitute is relevant to what you originally replied to?

Sure , And if someone is a trained government killer one might judge its not a profession to jump at.
    As for moral , just to expand the discussion beyond legal and moral as part of this has to do with how society judges people

So would I to a point, but I would mediate that with things like consent too. For example the sport of Boxing.... clearly the goal is to perform some damage to your opponent in Boxing. But your opponent has consented to be there in that knowledge. So damage alone is not enough to mediate morality on.

boxing is a different thing altogether , it might have certain risks but a good boxer certainly earns respect in society, its something to be proud of. A Prostitute wouldn't compare here

Which has nothing to do with whether sex work is moral or not. I hate to keep saying that, but I genuinely do not see how any of this is relevant to where you entered into the discussion with me.

People judge other people for the work they do, and why they do it. I get that. You evidenced this yourself by your own judgement of why they do this kind of work.... a judgement which does not appear to map onto the reality I have observed. But so what? What is the point I am missing here?

to clarify why people would judge a prostitute in a negative light. You can argue that it shouldn't be illegal, and I'd agree, you can argue its not immoral and again I don't think it is based on how people tend to use the term, if anything some of her customers might be being "immoral" going to a prostitute. But we are still left that "its something" as its clearly not a socially acceptable profession

I was talking about when you said, "One could see the that there might be psychological consequences of working in the sex industry or otherwise miscalculating the situation. I would certainly think I'd have failed as a parent if my daughter ended up in the sex industry." Otherwise your paternalism is unwarranted and unwelcome.

My paternalism to my kids is warranted because I have to release my kids into the world in a few years equipped with a set of values. Selling oneself for sex would certainly not be on that list as an acceptable value and I could make the reasonable assumption that most people would think the same.

As a general principle though people get esteem by having a roll in the community. A prostitute mostly has to live a double life where that part of her life has to be contained, most likely she cant tell her friends or family or is living away from home and inventing a cover story life for her family that isn't real. Its a messy situation one way or another.

Sure , And if someone is a trained government killer one might judge its not a profession to jump at.
    As for moral , just to expand the discussion beyond legal and moral as part of this has to do with how society judges people

I doubt they are alone in this. I would be surprised if there are not toilet cleaners, or repo-men, who do not fabricate some level of narrative to others to not have to admit what it is they do. Not that there is anything WRONG with either of those careers.............. just like there is nothing WRONG with prostitution that anyone on this thread appears capable of describing......... but as long as people judge others for what they do, and why they do it, there will be people who are not honest about what they do.

But I still struggle to link that with my original points about the morality of prostitution in and of itself, or the discussion on psychological consequences. I would be MUCH less worried about the psychological consequences of someone who feels they can not be honest about their source of income.... than I would be about a large plethora of other very real consequences in many very real "legitimate" career paths.
    boxing is a different thing altogether

Of course there are differences. They are different things entirely and my purpose was not to compare them. So pointing out they do not compare is to miss my point.

For the sole purposes of my analogy and point, the similarities are sufficient. But I can repeat the same point without the analogy if the analogy only serves to derail my point. The point being that clearly "damage" is not enough to mediate the discussion on. The form of that damage, the cause of it, the consent to it, the motivation for it, and much more is relevant.
    its clearly not a socially acceptable profession

Nor is being a tax collector or repo-man in some ways. Or the person who puts the parking tickets on cars. But as I said I acknowledge the stigmatization of the career of sex work itself, I just struggle to see it's relevance to the topic of the thread which is about whether it should be legal or illegal.

And where I do see it's relevance, it is only to point out that making it illegal exacerbates the effects of that.... rather than addresses or controls it. So for those people who are genuinely worried about nothing more than the effects of that stigma on people......... it would seem it being legal is more likely to address those concerns than the opposite.
    Selling oneself for sex would certainly not be on that list as an acceptable value and I could make the reasonable assumption that most people would think the same.

I am afraid I can no more talk for "most people" than you can. I can just talk for me. And as I said the values I would release my child with would be to be themselves, be capable of making their own choices, find the best ways (including career) to make themselves happy in life. And to do ALL of the above while minimizing harm and suffering to others.

And NOTHING on that list is precluded by entering into sex work, if that be their choice. Nor do I see the basis for asserting the sale of sex not to be an "acceptable value". That sounds to me a little like allowing the values to influence thinking, rather than thinking influencing values.

• Advertisement

My paternalism to my kids is warranted because I have to release my kids into the world in a few years equipped with a set of values. Selling oneself for sex would certainly not be on that list as an acceptable value and I could make the reasonable assumption that most people would think the same.

I said "otherwise". Nevertheless, after your kids reach a certain age, your paternalism to them should give way to respect.

I doubt they are alone in this. I would be surprised if there are not toilet cleaners, or repo-men, who do not fabricate some level of narrative to others to not have to admit what it is they do. Not that there is anything WRONG with either of those careers.............. just like there is nothing WRONG with prostitution that anyone on this thread appears capable of describing......... but as long as people judge others for what they do, and why they do it, there will be people who are not honest about what they do.

But I still struggle to link that with my original points about the morality of prostitution in and of itself, or the discussion on psychological consequences. I would be MUCH less worried about the psychological consequences of someone who feels they can not be honest about their source of income.... than I would be about a large plethora of other very real consequences in many very real "legitimate" career paths.

the original post you framed it as "personal taste" as opposed to not moral to the other poster. Im just suggesting that its somewhere between the 2

Nor is being a tax collector or repo-man in some ways. Or the person who puts the parking tickets on cars. But as I said I acknowledge the stigmatization of the career of sex work itself, I just struggle to see it's relevance to the topic of the thread which is about whether it should be legal or illegal.

And where I do see it's relevance, it is only to point out that making it illegal exacerbates the effects of that.... rather than addresses or controls it. So for those people who are genuinely worried about nothing more than the effects of that stigma on people......... it would seem it being legal is more likely to address those concerns than the opposite.

whats wrong with being a tax collector ? :confused: its reasonable to discuss the issues around prostitution much like if one was discussing legalising cocaine either one in some way is tied up with protecting people from themselves. I dont think its the government's job but then again just because something is legal doesnt mean society should not be critical of the particular activity.

I am afraid I can no more talk for "most people" than you can. I can just talk for me. And as I said the values I would release my child with would be to be themselves, be capable of making their own choices, find the best ways (including career) to make themselves happy in life. And to do ALL of the above while minimizing harm and suffering to others.

And NOTHING on that list is precluded by entering into sex work, if that be their choice. Nor do I see the basis for asserting the sale of sex not to be an "acceptable value". That sounds to me a little like allowing the values to influence thinking, rather than thinking influencing values.

that is society for you "most people" arent going to sit down and trash out the merits or not of being a prostitute. you are likely to be negatively judged for having that past or present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Well, then, they seem to be your psychological consequences.

Can't see how any parent would aspire for their child to grow up and become a sex worker and there is a reason for that.

One thing I notice about these conversations is that a lot of people say, for example "I would never visit a sex worker but if someone else wants to, that's fine" , "you would have to put a gun to my head before I would become a sex worker but sex work is fine if somebody makes that choice".

In other words, "it's not ok for me. It's ok for someone else."

I wonder if there was a poll with the question "would you ever become a sex worker?", how that would compare to the current poll in this thread.

I would ask posters to imagine themselves in a situation where for whatever reason, they have decided to do sex work by their own CHOICE. Now with the risk of people painting up some fantastical scenario where Brad Pitt or Angelina Jolie comes along and wants to pay you to have sex with him, I am going to give you, your first customer. I am going to take away your CHOICE. Because sex workers don't have a CHOICE when it comes to their "customers". They could turn down clients but how many times can they turn away clients when it starts to eat into their bread and butter.

For the ladies, let's say John McCririck is your first customer.

For the men picturing themself as a sex worker, Gillian Mc Keith.

I won't detail the things that they request you to do in this make believe situation. But I'm sure sex workers are often requested to do sex acts that they would not normally do in their own personal sex life. Things they do in their own sex life, by CHOICE, that is.

So you've built yourself up to do the "job" and go ahead with it and now your a sex a worker.

How do you think it would make you feel after having sex with John or Gillian? If you were not feeling right about it, but society said it's fine. It's just a job. It was your own CHOICE.

I don't know if it should be legal or not but what I do see on here is people simplifying it to "two consentual adults" when it's far more complicated than that. I would not be all about promoting how important it is for "empowerment" and this "choice" stuff. The legality of it for me is only ever about protecting people that sex work has a negative impact on and I am sure there are a lot. Whether that is best done legal or not, I don't know.

(no offense to John Mc Cririck or Gillian Mc Keith)

the original post you framed it as "personal taste" as opposed to not moral to the other poster. Im just suggesting that its somewhere between the 2

Possible of course. But the complete dearth of moral arguments against it that we are witnessing on this thread have simply pushed my suspicions much further towards one than the other.
    whats wrong with being a tax collector ?

Nothing that I personally subscribe to, but I gather they are not the most popular of people. Nor are repo men or people who distribute parking tickets or wheel clamps.

My point was not whether there is anything wrong with those careers.... there is not......... but that despite there being nothing wrong with them people are still judged for them. There is also nothing wrong with being a politician or a bank manager, but look at the level of hatred and suspicion they garner merely as a matter of course BEFORE they actually do anything wrong. There is nothing wrong with being atheist either, yet how much suspicion and hatred and judgement do they attract?

The point merely being that the relevancy of the stigma of being a sex worker is very low at the best of times, and non-existent in terms of the ACTUAL topic of the thread which is, we might recall, as to whether prostitution should be legal or illegal in Ireland.
    just because something is legal doesnt mean society should not be critical of the particular activity.

Agreed. If there are genuine reasons to be critical of it, then by all means be critical of it, and it being legal should not stop you. Those reasons appear to be thin on the ground however.
    that is society for you "most people" arent going to sit down and trash out the merits or not of being a prostitute. you are likely to be negatively judged for having that past or present.

And as I said that is a good argument for it being legal and not illegal. Because making it illegal will do nothing to address that. While making it legal can.

Olishi4 wrote: »
    Can't see how any parent would aspire for their child to grow up and become a sex worker and there is a reason for that.

Sure and there is a reason I do not aspire for them to be toilet cleaners, repo-men, or night club security too. Many of those reasons are my own biases. But there are other reasons too. But so what? It is not my choice to make and my aspirations are irrelevant. What I can, and do, aspire towards is children capable of making their own INFORMED decisions as to what is best for them. And I aspire to be proud of them when they reach that point and they do so.

Helping children find their own way in life, happily and without harming others, should be the aspirations of a parent.... not the attempts to mold them into, or away from, what you want them to be.
    One thing I notice about these conversations is that a lot of people say, for example "I would never visit a sex worker but if someone else wants to, that's fine" , "you would have to put a gun to my head before I would become a sex worker but sex work is fine if somebody makes that choice". In other words, "it's not ok for me. It's ok for someone else."

And is there anything wrong with that? I would say the same thing about many other things. I would not want to be a boxer. Or watch the sport of boxing. I am happy for others to do either however. I would not want to be a priest or a theist. But I have nothing against other people doing it. I would not want to work with children, such as in a Creche or Kindergarten scenario. I am happy for others to do it. I would not like S&M sex myself but lots of people are into that, so so what?

What is wrong with not wanting something for yourself, but realizing that it is none of your business if anyone else wants it?
    Because sex workers don't have a CHOICE when it comes to their "customers". They could turn down clients but how many times can they turn away clients when it starts to eat into their bread and butter.

So they do not have a choice but they have a choice :confused::confused: Your post does not appear to be internally coherent here. If they can turn down clients, then they have a choice. Simple as that.

But if they veto too many customers then of course, they will not make ends meet. But so what? That is true of any business. The bakery or cafe near to you right now, the local portrait artist, the musician, the doctor.... what career is this NOT true of???

Forget sex work entirely, replace everything you just said word for word with a simple masseuse. Your whole post makes exactly as much sense if you make that 1:1 direct replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

So what.

I fixed your post for you. :p

Oh i never thought of it that way by comparing sex and sexuality to toilet work and other professions. Yea because people experience many of the same feelings cleaning their toilet as they do when they are getting it on.

Oh i never thought of it that way by comparing sex and sexuality to toilet work and other professions. Yea because people experience many of the same feelings cleaning their toilet as they do when they are getting it on.

Who the hell do you think you are? You are not the boss of other people and the moral authority over their feelings.

Possible of course. But the complete dearth of moral arguments against it that we are witnessing on this thread have simply pushed my suspicions much further towards one than the other.

Well I would like to see more data on the well being of prostitutes But I will hypothesis that they as a group would score less well than other women in terms of lifetime wellness or the ability to maintain relationships for example. So it circles back to statements like I wouldn't want to see my daughter be a prostitute or god forbid my son says he met a nice one and wants to settle down with her :pac:
    Nothing that I personally subscribe to, but I gather they are not the most popular of people. Nor are repo men or people who distribute parking tickets or wheel clamps.

My point was not whether there is anything wrong with those careers.... there is not......... but that despite there being nothing wrong with them people are still judged for them. There is also nothing wrong with being a politician or a bank manager, but look at the level of hatred and suspicion they garner merely as a matter of course BEFORE they actually do anything wrong. There is nothing wrong with being atheist either, yet how much suspicion and hatred and judgement do they attract?

that is just public chatter though, a politician or a banker has high social status in society unless they have done something personally very criminal for instance. A prostitute most likely has to keep a low profile socially

The point merely being that the relevancy of the stigma of being a sex worker is very low at the best of times, and non-existent in terms of the ACTUAL topic of the thread which is, we might recall, as to whether prostitution should be legal or illegal in Ireland.

its a side issue for sure but still people will discuss it much like one would with drugs. You cant separate the legality from whether you Ought to do it or not.

I fixed your post for you.

If by "fixed" you mean you ignored most of it and then changed it from what it was into what it was not, then sure, you fixed it real good.

It is always fun when you make a comparison or analogy based on the similarly between two or more things..... when the other person ignores the points of comparisons and instead makes some comment based on the differences. It genuinely makes me wonder if people get or understand analogy or comparison at all, or the purposes of engaging in it.

But much like I did for the other user who was struggling with the utility of analogy, I can repeat my point for you without analogy. The point being that there are plenty of things we do not want for ourselves, enjoy ourselves, or wish to offer ourselves. That does not mean OTHERS should be precluded from, or judged for, engaging with them.

Or put simpler, I am genuinely not seeing what your problem with "I would noo do it, but I am ok for others to do it" type statements actually is, if anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

If you have to go delberately off on a silly tangent to avoid answering, you have lost the arguement

Advertisement