Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why we worry more about water charges than USC?

Options
  • 07-04-2016 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi,

I am just wondering why we in this country worry more about water charges than USC.

We are paying more for USC than water charges. Water charges are only 160 or 260 per but most people pay over 1000 on USC per year.

And no one talks about USC , it's same with political parties during elections.

Yet there is massive protests about water charges.

Why is peoples attitude is different with USC.

Any thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

powerstar wrote: »
    Hi,

I am just wondering why we in this country worry more about water charges than USC.

We are paying more for USC than water charges. Water charges are only 160 or 260 per but most people pay over 1000 on USC per year.

Any thoughts.

Cause not everybody pays USC yet everybody is expected to pay water charges.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Becuase there are some people in this country who feel as if they don't have to pay for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Hi,

Any thoughts.

Thats because the water charges affect everyone and the USC affects people who earn over €13k so....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

The idiots protesting come from the part of society that like to get everything for nothing. They dont have to worry about usc as they receive a generous weekly pay cheque from the govt for doing absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Skangers don't have to pay the USC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Those that work pay the USC charges.
    Those that work cannot really take days off during the week to protest.
    No political party cares about the workers.
    No political party wants workers to not pay tax.

Not everyone who protested the water charges was unemployed, but I'd say most of the people who got bussed around to the various places where IW were doing work were out of work!

No-one cares if the workers pay more tax, but ask those who get welfare and stuff for free to pay anything? Mass protests everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

No choice in USC, deducted at source.

If Water had been implemented in this way as a tax rather than an unenforceable utility charge it would not have been possible to refuse payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭powerstar

Thats because the water charges affect everyone and the USC affects people who earn over €13k so....

Yes you are correct that every one doesn't pay USC.

But I think people pay USC they are paying much more than water charges.

USC supposed to be temporary measure and now it's become a part of regular tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think you will find that the majority of protestor are people who live free within the state. This water charge was one of the few charges applied to welfare households. These people wouldnt know what USC was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Personally I'm looking forward to going back to subsidizing people with swimming pools, jacuzzis or massive leaks on their property. It's their fundamental human right to have me pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Stolen from Broadsheet.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

People are idiots! Simples

Looks like we are stuck with the USC now seeing as idiots were saying during the election that it shouldn't be reduced at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Wasn't the USC just another 2 taxes put together and renamed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I am happy to pay my share to make sure everyone gets essential human necessities like water, ffs. But charging people for water if it means they have to cut other necessities out of their lives to pay for it, that's just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Any thoughts.
    That you should probably have explained what USC is, not everyone might know what you're on about

• Registered Users Posts: 19,620 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The idiots protesting come from the part of society that like to get everything for nothing. They dont have to worry about usc as they receive a generous weekly pay cheque from the govt for doing absolutely nothing.

theres a lot of us protesting by not paying. The message from the streets has already been sent loud and clear.

Speedwell wrote: »
    I am happy to pay my share to make sure everyone gets essential human necessities like water, ffs. But charging people for water if it means they have to cut other necessities out of their lives to pay for it, that's just wrong.

Use it, pay for it.

biko wrote: »
    That you should probably have explained what USC is, not everyone might know what you're on about

Anyone that works will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

How do people not know what USC is??

Pay more USC in a month than a years water charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Use it, pay for it.

Well, that's a tremendously nuanced, helpful, and compassionate social policy you got there, pardner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The water charges just became the straw that broke the camels back. We're taxed to hell and it pushed many people over the edge. The support to scrap the charges and dismantle Irish water grew when the public were made aware of the extent to which the company is a complete shambles. Add to that the dodgy DOB stuff and then the usage of our property and motor taxes that have gone to support it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

Two supposed temporary emergency taxes.

All the other taxes are still there too.

Use it, pay for it.

Tell Dara Murphy that (re Garda cars & drivers) or yer wan who rang her boyfriend in Kenya.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,190 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes, the health levy and the income levy.

The 2% health levy had been around for a long time.

The income levy was introduced during the crisis, as other tax revenues plummeted.

smash wrote: »
    We're taxed to hell and it pushed many people over the edge. .

Taxes in general in Irl are average, compared to other countries.

The top MTR at 50% approx kicks in awful early at 34k approx, that is true.

My parents pay 10% direct tax on 50k - very low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Geuze wrote: »

I've met Americans who'll state that their affective tax rate is around 9 or 10%. But they pay state and federal tax on purchases then. I've met people from Nordic countries who'll include all the taxes and vat etc on purchases on top of their income taxes and state an 85%+ affective tax rate. It all depends on how you look at tax.

Geuze wrote: »

Stealth taxes are the killer in Ireland.

A TV licence alone is a 1% tax for someone on min wage.

Add car/fuel/home heating etc, LPT, plus VAT @ 23.5% (up from 21%) and take into account that anyone on that needs to spend it to get by and you have almost no adults paying less than 25 to 28% tax in some form or another.

Bar maybe adult kids living at home without chipping in.

smash wrote: »
    I've met Americans who'll state that their affective tax rate is around 9 or 10%. But they pay state and federal tax on purchases then. I've met people from Nordic countries who'll include all the taxes and vat etc on purchases on top of their income taxes and state an 85%+ affective tax rate. It all depends on how you look at tax.

Yes, no doubt, Nordic taxes are way higher than here.

US taxes are lower than here.

No VAT in USA, low-ish sales taxes, high local property taxes, low income taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

1 out of 10...

Advertisement