Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunbathing, Swimming Naked

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yes, I find that a bikini or a pair of briefs does a great job of covering up flabby, saggy, droopy bits!
    Not especially keen on that either TBH. Call it an aesthetic hangup if you must, but there it is.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

mlumley wrote: »
    How many women do it when they go to Spain? A fair few I would say. Go to a country where it isn't looked down upon. Look at Nordic countries where neighbours come into your sauna and sit there naked and chat. What is wrong whit being naked? Half the world has the same body as you, admittedly in different shapes. Go try it, anyone know of a good nudist beech in Ireland???
    Trawalua in Sligo is lovely on a nice day.
    The amount of people who seem to be afraid of the human body on here is worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

mlumley wrote: »
    How many women do it when they go to Spain? A fair few I would say. Go to a country where it isn't looked down upon. Look at Nordic countries where neighbours come into your sauna and sit there naked and chat. What is wrong whit being naked? Half the world has the same body as you, admittedly in different shapes. Go try it, anyone know of a good nudist beech in Ireland???

Bearass beach or Goolie view beach in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Bearass beach or Goolie view beach in Donegal.

Has anyone mentioned Muff beach ;)

0007207997_10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I don't know how many of the posters on this thread have actually been on a clothing optional or nudist beach, we (me & the Mrs) have been on clothing optional beaches so this is my take on it & we are neither exhibitionist or voyeurs

Neither of us had been on one before & we both decided it would be good or fun to try it, kinda of a bucket list type of thing, the Mrs would be in pretty good shape & happy in her skin, me not so much but not brutal either, pretty average, maybe carrying a few pounds I shouldn't be & not exactly packing if you know what I mean 😀

So off we went, hot & sunny, I was crapping myself, would people look and worse possibly point & laugh, would I have the smallest dick on the beach, wtf if I get the worlds smallest hard on, Jesus help me

Anyhoo, we arrived, found a spot we were happy with & stripped off, did other nude people see us nude, yep
    Did we see other nude people, yep, did I have the smallest dick, nope (woohoo) did I have the biggest dick, nope, was I the best built bloke, nope, was I the worst built, nope

Did my Mrs have the biggest boobs, nope, the smallest, nope, the best, yep I think so, did her bum look big in her swimsuit, nope, do you see what I did there 😋

Did anyone take a blind bit of notice of us, no & after about 20 minutes the novelty (because we are just not used to it here) of most people being nude around us just became normal, we walked the beach nude, swam in the ocean nude, dried in the sunshine nude, read a book nude, listened to music nude & of course did a bit of people watching (not to be confused with staring) because its a normal human thing to do

The thing about these beaches is that everyone fits in, small asses, big asses, big dicks, small dicks, big boobs, small boobs, big thighs, small thighs, fit people, unfit people, hairy people, no hair people, young people, old people, NOBODY CARES, nobody judges, people just get on with their day as they are free to do

I understand that this may not be everybody's cup of tea & that's fine, you probably have 99% of the world's beaches to enjoy in your swimsuit, don't worry about the other 1% of beaches used by those who choose not to wear a swimsuit

Should everybody do it at least once, absolutely, life's too short, if it turns out not to be for you, that's fine
    Can't speak for the girls but boys, plenty of factor 50 on your bits for the first few days, a burnt peeling penis & scrotum is not a good look

On a serious note, those who are self-conscious about their bodies will I believe feel much less self conscious about themselves after a few days nude on a beach with others, that was my experience anyway

Now we wouldn't consider a sun destination that didn't have easy access to a clothing optional beach

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Posters who say that “well,I don’t want to see out of shape nude bodies” or “Ireland is way too cold for nude swimming” is just a cover/ excuse for a really sad, deep seated prudishness and hang up about nudity that is very strong in the Anglophone world.

If people don’t want to go nude, fine, then don’t.
    But don’t judge others who do and make thinly veiled sexual connotations. That implies a deeply immature and frankly intolerant mindset.

Absolutely nothing wrong with swimming and sunbathing nude in appropriate settings. Personally, my partner and I find it liberating. Once you ditch the swimsuit, it’s hard to go back! But I f you don’t like it, then simply don’t do it yourself. Bit less of the judgemental attitude please!

Personally, I think everyone should try it at least once. You’ll find your hang ups will evaporate quite quickly when you are on a beach and everyone else is nude. The idea that nudity is sexual is very sad in my opinion. Try telling a German in a sauna where nudity is the etiquette (or in many other places, Japan included) that they offend you and they’ll soon tell you where to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Posters who say that “well,I don’t want to see out of shape nude bodies” or “Ireland is way too cold for nude swimming” is just a cover/ excuse for a really sad, deep seated prudishness and hang up about nudity that is very strong in the Anglophone world.

But don’t judge others who do and make thinly veiled sexual connotations. That implies a deeply immature and frankly intolerant mindset.

Absolutely nothing wrong with swimming and sunbathing nude in appropriate settings. Personally, my partner and I find it liberating. Once you ditch the swimsuit, it’s hard to go back! But I f you don’t like it, then simply don’t do it yourself. Bit less of the judgemental attitude please!

Personally, I think everyone should try it at least once. You’ll find your hang ups will evaporate quite quickly when you are on a beach and everyone else is nude. The idea that nudity is sexual is very sad in my opinion. Try telling a German in a sauna where nudity is the etiquette (or in many other places, Japan included) that they offend you and they’ll soon tell you where to go.

Have to agree with all that, although I don't have a lot of experience with nude sunbathing I've taken probably hundreds of sauna naked (men only unfortunately, hey its Ireland).

I had a training partner for a long time, trained together, changed, sauna (naked) etc.. Some time into the friendship he told me he's gay, we're going back almost twenty years ago when things weren't so liberal as they are now.

Asked me if I was uncomfortable with it, and if I was he'd understand (yes Ireland was that uptight until relatively recent).

After training he held back from the usual sauna, until I broke the ice and told him I'm cool with it.

Having a chat about it in the sauna one day and I asked him if he wasn't turned on by all the naked guys, and how could he stop himself from staring (now that you're gay like).. To which he informed me that he'd a much better appreciation for a naked womans body than a mans, but sexually he was attracted to men.

I kinda lost the direction I was going with that.. Needless to say nakedness doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I'm in good shape (I think), I look good naked and if someone gets off looking at me (man or women) then fair fooks to 'em. But I think on a beach no one gives a toss who you are or what you look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭lemd

mlumley wrote:
    Go try it, anyone know of a good nudist beech in Ireland???

There are nudist trees now? Or is that code for wood being acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I love it. Problem is the wife has no interest at all which means I don’t get to do it because single males are frowned upon.

There used to be a pool in crumlin (I think) where there was a monthly nude swim. But I don’t think they do it any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I go swimming frequently in Limerick naked over the summer months. I'm not going to say where but it's in a private spot. There is a group of about 8 of us, men and women that go.

There's nothing sexual or otherwise about it. Nobody is looking at anyones bits. I'm a huge advocate of the therapeutic benefits of open water swimming for physical and mental health. Not having on skins or a wetsuit is the most wondeful, invigorating experience. I also never get colds, flus or sick and I put that down to my frequent river swims.

I suffered a lot with body image issues in my 20s. I always covered up as was very shy about my body and really hated it. I always hated wearing swimming suits in front of other people as I never had a 'beach body' ( whatever that is!). Since I ditched the skins and started naked open water swimming my body confidence has improved a significant amount. It's reconnected me to my body being robust and strong and not a mere aesthetic thing for people and myself to judge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Only go swimming in the wetsuit here, too cold even in summer to do otherwise. Don't think I would go in in the nip.

Never wore jammys in bed, only socks in winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Oldtree wrote:
    Only go swimming in the wetsuit here, too cold even in summer to do otherwise. Don't think I would go in in the nip.

You should try without the wetsuit sometime, even if its just in skins. Once you keep swimming its really not that cold and is a much nicer experience. I never thought i would be able to swim without a wetsuit but one I started now I hate putting the wetsuit on for tri's. Its so restrictive and doesn't give the same experience in open water then without. The trick is just to keep swimming than you won't get cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

It's pretty obvious that part of what nudists enjoy is the slightly taboo nature of what they do.

Take the OP as an example. He's started threads on this on other websites. When I saw the thread title I already knew who started it. It's obviously a part of his life and not just a "swimming without togs is a better sensation". I think it's a bit rich to trot out the "Irish are prudes" lines when it's clear that you're not just being non-prudish, you're big into nudity, so much that your holidays revolve around it.

I mostly prefer being clothed. I sleep naked when I'm doing my washing and much prefer the sensation of boxers and T-shirt. I've been to nude beaches and find it no better or worse than wearing shorts.getting out of the sea without wet shorts is probably more pleasant but wet shorts are a minor inconvenience. Not something I'd feel a need to build a lifestyle around.

And nudoty isn't really a leveller. The reason there's a communal aspect at those group naked photo days is that everyone's a bit embarrassed and giggly and "oh aren't we bring outrageous". If everyone actually did go around naked all the time you can bet people who think they're superior for being in a respected profession would still feel that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

panda100 wrote: »
    You should try without the wetsuit sometime, even if its just in skins. Once you keep swimming its really not that cold and is a much nicer experience. I never thought i would be able to swim without a wetsuit but one I started now I hate putting the wetsuit on for tri's. Its so restrictive and doesn't give the same experience in open water then without. The trick is just to keep swimming than you won't get cold!

I did try it that's why I wear the wetsuit. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

lemd wrote: »
    There are nudist trees now? Or is that code for wood being acceptable?
    I assume they're accepted trees with peepholes for hiding?
    As you never know when you'll need it :p

george-costanza-shrinkage.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

OU812 wrote: »
    I love it. Problem is the wife has no interest at all which means I don’t get to do it because single males are frowned upon.

There used to be a pool in crumlin (I think) where there was a monthly nude swim. But I don’t think they do it any more.

Clothing optional rather than nudist beach is the solution here, you can strip off, the Mrs can keep as much on or off as she chooses

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Beam in your own eye there much? Clearly it isn't fine with you if people don't want to go nude!

Tried it, and nope, nothing disappeared for me only my clothing, which I was rather glad to get back on because the whole thing felt a bit silly, nothing prudish about it. I wouldn't tell either a German or Japanese person anything because I don't speak the language for one thing, and if they tried telling me I had to go nude I'd just leave, it's not a problem for me to respect other people and their cultures and customs.

Fine if you don’t want to go nude, but don’t judge me or others for preferring to swim and sunbathe au naturel. Live and let live.

Some of the replies here just reinforce my attitude about the prudishness and hang-ups about nudity in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Fine if you don’t want to go nude, but don’t judge me or others for preferring to swim and sunbathe au naturel. Live and let live.

Some of the replies here just reinforce my attitude about the prudishness and hang-ups about nudity in Ireland.

Of course people are going to judge you JK, and they're perfectly entitled to, regardless of whether or not you tell them not to or how you judge them in return. Apply your own live and let live standard to yourself and you'll be disappointed with the number of people who couldn't give a shiny shyte about you.

I can see this thread growing into the great boards nude meetup 2018

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Leticia Medina

Some of you are great story-tellers!

I am the current chairwoman of the Irish Naturist Association and we have now a multi-voiced blog where we publish Irish stories, from first-timers discovering naturism to event reports or any other article people want to write about.

Many Irish people start going naturist abroad, but the pandemic might have changed that a little. Just in case someone is curious, please allow me to leave here the blog I was mentioning: www.irishnaturism.org/blog

I realise some people will never try out naturism, of course, but at least the majority of the population is getting familiar with the concept by now and there are less confusion about what is not. I know we still need to progress a lot to implement some sort of proper sauna culture in Ireland, it is baffling how you can only get a naked sauna in Ireland if you join our private bookings at leisure centres...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Wouldn't mind going au naturel, but somewhere warm , not Ireland. And on a mixed beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

I sleep in the nip. I've gotten so used to it that i'd feel uncomfortable wearing anything.

My gym did naked sauna/steamroom but it was gender separated (not that it was a problem), but it was a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

My sister? What on Earth does that have to do with anything? 🤔

Is it because I posted here, a few years back, about swimming nude at designated times in public swimming pools over in Holland where she and her family live? She and her family are not into nude swimming themselves but they have no problem that I am. Live and let live is their mindset...

I try to swim and sunbathe nude as often as possible. On holidays abroad to places such as the Canary Islands, Spain and Greece my partner and I always select resorts with, or very close to, nude beaches. 😎🏖🏖🌞🌞 All of the gay male resorts we have stayed at in the past are clothing optional - but from experience nearly all the men are nude in and around the swimming pool.

The White Rock beach at Dalkey is a good spot for naturists and nude swimming in the Summer and early Autumn months. The nearby Vico Road/Hawk Cliff bathing area has been a long-standing popular spot for nude swimming and sunbathing - but during the Covid lockdowns it became swamped by “textile” bathers which drove many of the nude swimmers away. 😥

I also did the Mater Foundation Dickie Dip where 600 odd men took the plunge in the chilly November Irish Sea in our birthday suits and dickie bows to raise funds for prostate cancer treatment - in 2021 for our second dip (first was in 2019) we managed to raise over €150K. 👍👍👍

Nude swimming is also carried out at a series of public swimming pools around the country, organized by the Irish Naturist Association (INA) of which I am a member. These swims are held once a month and are very popular with attendance by newcomers growing all the time. The Irish are certainly more relaxed about nudity than even a decade ago and the laws were changed in 2017 to permit outdoor nudity at designated locations, but there is still quite a way to go in terms of body positivity.

Anyone here thinking of giving nude swimming a go - try out the INA swims around the country or the next time you are on a sun holiday. 👍👍 Once you go nude, you won’t want to go back to wearing soggy, awkward swimsuits (or “shame suits” as I call them).

Post edited by JupiterKid on

Thanks for that comment, OU812!

If you don't mind, could you give some details? Which gym, where and when was that?

Thanks in advance!!!

Leticia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Going away to Lanzarote with the wife, her brothers and their wives in February. Usually when we all go away for a sun holiday we stay in resorts that have nudist areas. Me and the missus would always spend a couple of hours each day in those areas. This time we're hiring a villa so there will be no nude sunbathing or swimming 😭

It wouldn't bother me but the wife wouldn't get her kit off in front of her family.

Thanks for that, Yeah_Right!

As far as I know, nearly all beaches on the Canary Islands are nudist-friendly in principle. However, to be on the super safe side, you can have a look at the ones registered by the Spanish Naturist Federation, there is a map with all of them:

https://naturismo.org/playas-nudistas/canarias/

If you hire a car, you might be able to go some places perhaps? Enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Went to Hawk Cliff during the summer as I was going to take a dip. Its an official nudist beach however it was rammed and busy. Was on me todd. I do like the concept of it though. Feeling the water quite freely. The Irish Naturist Associaction said

In April 2018 Hawk Cliff was acknowledged as a naturist bathing area after the Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council agreed to display signage making people aware that this was a designated area for nude sunbathing and swimming. Three poles were erected to facilitate the signage.

Advertisement