Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Did they write to tell you this, Lady

Yes, came in the post the other day, sent it to our adviser & he said just do nout so :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Public consultation opened today on the proposed agri environment scheme (pilot)

Sorry unable to post link. Its on agriland. Closing date for it is 26th February. Would there be any benefit to have a thread started specifically for suggestions only,no chit chat,as to what people believe would be good actions/rules in any new scheme. Would this work & could then be submitted before the deadline by moderator's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Has anyone gone through an appeal and been successful?
    Any tips?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭zetor 4911

Any tips?
    Very much depends what the issue is and how strong your case is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Any tips?

I did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭k mac

With the extension of the contract for GLAS for this year the contract ends on the 31st of December. Does that mean that all measures cease on that date? For instance you are allowed to graze wild bird cover areas from the 15th of March most years, but if your contract ends the end of December can it now be grazed from the 01st of January 2022. Would be doubtful i think. Be very handy for outwintering some stock and not have to worry about them ripping up the ground, as it will be ploughed and reseeded later anyway.

Have to maintain it till 15/3/22

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

So will there be a new scheme in place for ‘22 ?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    So will there be a new scheme in place for ‘22 ?

New scheme in 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 21,231 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If you signed Ext, WBC finishes on 15/03/23. We know little about the proposed scheme yet. The pilot being planned for this year and next will be good indicators.
    A key point is that the scheme will need measureable indicators and show improvement on them. So, to me that looks like a few visits from an 'expert'. Presume your own planner + % inspected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Water John wrote: »
    If you signed Ext, WBC finishes on 15/03/23. We know little about the proposed scheme yet. The pilot being planned for this year and next will be good indicators.
    A key point is that the scheme will need measureable indicators and show improvement on them. So, to me that looks like a few visits from an 'expert'. Presume your own planner + % inspected.

Does WBC for Glas 3 finish then too?

GLAS 3 WBC finishes on 15/3/22

zetor 4911 wrote: »
    GLAS 3 WBC finishes on 15/3/22

So the GLAS ext is for one year? Presume they'll extend again so there's no gap between the two schemes.

Water John wrote: »
    So the GLAS ext is for one year? Presume they'll extend again so there's no gap between the two schemes.

Probably will

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Just a reminder that ye can let livestock into graze your WBC on the 15th of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Tileman

Base price wrote: »
    Just a reminder that ye can let livestock into graze your WBC on the 15th of March.

Can u put slurry on the wbc ground before planting?

Tileman wrote: »

Yes TMK, no reason not to.
    My stores will get to it Mon/Tues.

Yes you can but within the normal limitations of amounts of nitrates per ha. There is a restriction of 40kg/ha for artificial/chemical Nitrogen.

I think Base can recite the regs in her sleep at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Be an awful waste of good slurry!!!!

• Advertisement

Dunedin wrote: »
    TBH €900/ha per year is nothing to be sniffed at.
    We used chemical fertilizer on the WBC after sowing for the first two years cause the scheme was new to us and wanted to ensure that the crop struck and grew. Since then we spread a few loads of slurry from the lagoon after disking and it saves us buying bags of artificial.

Ah it’s just to improve the soil fertility. Have access to feee south from a neighbour.

Nee to look at your soil sample results and see what index the soil is at for phosphorous if index 4 no slurry

zetor 4911 wrote: »
    Nee to look at your soil sample results and see what index the soil is at for phosphorous if index 4 no slurry

Ok thanks. Good call out. I’ll check that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Base price wrote: »
    TBH €900/ha per year is nothing to be sniffed at.
    We used chemical fertilizer on the WBC after sowing for the first two years cause the scheme was new to us and wanted to ensure that the crop struck and grew. Since then we spread a few loads of slurry from the lagoon after disking and it saves us buying bags of artificial.

I think everyone gave it a lot of TLC the first year or two then it was a quick disking, fire out the seed with the fertiliser shaker and close the gate and whatever grew grew after that. Might get a rolling if not too busy or it might not........

• Registered Users Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Kale is a starved hoor of a crop on ground.

I think everyone gave it a lot of TLC the first year or two then it was a quick disking, fire out the seed with the fertiliser shaker and close the gate and whatever grew grew after that. Might get a rolling if not too busy or it might not........
    I normally manage to get it rolled but didn't 2 years ago cause it started to rain as we were spreading the linseed and phacelia seed. It continued to rain for about a week and it never got rolled - it didn't seem to make much difference as it all struck well and grew.

Yea that pretty sums up my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Yea that pretty sums up my experience.

And rightly so any crowd that said bees would go into wet sand ... the mind boggles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Has anyone ever had a sanction imposed by a Glas inspector? I was removed from the scheme in 2018 as inspector wasn’t happy with my catch crops. Going to the appeals committee next week. Just wondering has anyone experience of this?

Advertisement