Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum Wage in NY

Options
  • 05-04-2016 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

So minimum wage will be gradually increased to $15 an hour in New York. Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

So minimum wage will be gradually increased to $15 an hour in New York. Thoughts?

When I live in New York I will care.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Yes, it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Woohoo.SUV.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭MacauDragon

Maybe apart from the whoe free market vs regulation debate there exists actual physical laws which restrict the free market.

I.e even in trumpland at some point, when the deserving class had occupied enough city space, the serfs would end up having to travel 8 hours before their 17 hour shift making it impossible.

I know there's options like keeping them underground, in a closet etc but I think that economic models must contest with actual physical laws at some point.

That said its almost 3am and I'm on several psych meds and received this thought telepathically from a bowl of cornflakes I keep in the corner for company as I travel these astral plains.

Kill them all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭JackieBauer

I got a hundred guns, a hundred clips, N word I'm from New York!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

This is nothing less than communism.

The working poor should be thrashed by their betters on a daily basis and they should be thankful for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I have a mad suggestion, what about bushiness taking a lower profit and paying the new min wage?. The Economist ( hardly a bastion of the left ) has changed their mind on the min wage issue and that is good enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

How can anyone can afford to live in New York on minimum wage amazes me.

They don't, mostly. They all live beyond the Palisades, to quote Billy Joel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Permabear wrote:

Your right, keep them down I say! Bastards looking for more money. Should be happy with their scraps.

The US for such a free market economy seem to be riven by ideology, the cost of the min wage seems to matter very little it all about the ideology on both sides. Look at the language it is see as a 'victory' as if its some sort of war.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Registered Users Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

They don't, mostly. They all live beyond the Palisades, to quote Billy Joel.

Left there long ago if I remember correctly. Just got in their Cadillacs and drove away.

This is from their blog.

The Economist opposed the introduction of the minimum wage in Britain in 1999 on these grounds. In practice the picture is not so clear. No-one who has studied the effects of Britain's minimum wage now thinks it has raised unemployment. Partly as a result of this experiment on our homestead The Economist has changed its mind. A colleague who surveyed the most recent evidence on employment found that some formerly implacable academic opponents of the minimum wage have softened their stance towards it, and that the IMF and the OECD both now reckon that minimum wages do little harm and may do some good.

Well that just shows you it is rive by ideology and that is the big problem with the min wage debate.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Surely the customers would just realise they don't need to tip the 20% difference any more?

Edit: too slow I am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Ah new York,the city were you are always one pay-cheque away from sleeping on a park bench...

It depend if you are against the min wage as an article of faith, that is your position?. I think it would be fair to say the Economist stance is that an actual min wage does no harm and might be a good thing. It is where it is set at, that is the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

You know, the biggest losses to wages and employment by far, comes from the downturns in economic cycles - often brought to us in spectacular fashion, by the excesses of banking/financial industry.

Spokespersons from these same industries will then give out about relatively small-change issues like the minimum wage, as if their own defence from having their industries destructive power reigned in - successfully preventing that, expanding power even, and (in the context of the US) gaining undemocratic levels of control over government while at it - as if that won't lead to much worse outcomes in the future*, than their false scaremongering about diverting a small slice of (near-record) corporate profits to wages.

* Oh I know, the rampant unrestricted power of finance 'Free Meerkats' will solve it all and lead to utopian freedom from all harm, right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Wow a full 67%? That's very alarming...or wait, you mean a full six dollars...not so alarming then is it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Six dollars, per hour, per person... That could be a quarter billion a day if it affects 1 in 3 new Yorkers.

• Advertisement

Advertisement