Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesla/Lithium stocks discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Tesla is at $600. Wtf is that.

Thats 45% of an increase in two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,887 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Tesla is at $600. Wtf is that.

S&P effect.

Mr.David wrote: »
    Why is it negative? It certainly isn't immoral!

A lot of people were shorting to try and make the company go bankrupt. Trying to do that to a company that is clearly a force for good, is immoral imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

My biggest 2020 trading regret. Swing trading Tesla instead of Hloding all the way lol. 630, thats 3150$ pre split, and everyone thought Amazon at 3k was nuts afew months back ha.

Timmaay wrote: »
    My biggest 2020 trading regret. Swing trading Tesla instead of Hloding all the way lol. 630, thats 3150$ pre split, and everyone thought Amazon at 3k was nuts afew months back ha.

Funny you mention that. The leaders of Amazon and Tesla are the two richest men on the planet :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,473 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

For the same here.
    I cashed out at around 1000 pre split.
    Did not in a million years expect this. The numbers don't back it up at all, but as a wise man once said, the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

got a kick in the nuts today , sold 40% of my position at the open , did not anticipate the huge rise today

Tesla has deliver over $10 k profit for me since september , ive traded it well up to now including last wednesday when it dropped to $540 briefly

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    got a kick in the nuts today , sold 40% of my position at the open , did not anticipate the huge rise today

Tesla has deliver over $10 k profit for me since september , ive traded it well up to now including last wednesday when it dropped to $540 briefly

Never regret taking a profit or what extra you could of gained.

at this rate , Tesla could be at $1000 by year end , its irrelevant which way the broader market is going , you need to be in but not too much

i sold the rest of my position below $650 yesterday , its up 3% plus in pre market , I thought it might retest a bit today but not yet by the looks of things , funny thing about the stock is , you never know when the big money will run it down 10% and the drop usually lasts no longer than a half hour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

• Advertisement

p to the e wrote: »

https://fortune.com/2020/09/28/tesla-mine-lithium-batteries-cheaper-cars/

Musk already trying to fix that, who knows if it will succeed thought. EVs do in general have a much better life cycle energy and co2 output than any ICE vehicles, for ICE vehicles you cannot mitigate the fuel used across the vehicles operating life, EVs when combined with a high renewable energy mix (at the minute only the Scandinavian countries achieving this), you will get a 70% reduction in co2 across its life, even with the battery manufacturing.

Another wild day for Tesla, they had a share offering which probably was a good idea for the poor EFTs tracking the S&P lol, immediately sell off but bounced straight back and it's like 650 now. Way too extended for me to get into now, will be interesting to see where it goes across the next few weeks but due a strong pullback soon.

for ICE vehicles you cannot mitigate the fuel used across the vehicles operating life, EVs when combined with a high renewable energy mix

EVs are overwhelmingly charged at night (after midnight). People might not be aware but on average 50% of electricity generated in Ireland during night rate hours is currently from renewables (wind) and this percentage is growing every year. In fact we will soon be generating so much of this wind energy at night, that we couldn't do much else with it except charge EVs and other batteries (extremely cheaply) and / or sell it off to other countries (again extremely cheaply)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

If you think that’s bad , I have an acquaintance (uniformed public servent) here in Dublin that met an investment advisor to A/C Milan footballers back in about 2014/15, one of the tips he got was Tesla.

Fair play to him he went all in with €20,000 euro when they were at about $18 or $19 per share so today they’d be about $3.2m....... he sold out at $30.

Even if he took his full 20 k back when he sold at $30 he’d be in clover if he only kept the balance at nil risk.

Bought back @$620 yesterday

Buy the dips

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭sk8board

ELM327 wrote: »
    For the same here.
    I cashed out at around 1000 pre split.
    Did not in a million years expect this. The numbers don't back it up at all, but as a wise man once said, the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent!

As long as your buy or sell decisions are made on sound data, you shouldn’t need to lament a ‘what if I held on’ afterwards.

If you’re lamenting selling, you have a problem in the interpretation of the charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 irishlad13

Hi all,
    I was thinking of finally cashing in on my Tesla shares while the going is currently good. I'm not sure whether to sell Friday before their inclusion to the S&P or will they rise early Monday when market opens due to the sheer volume of shares required. Advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

irishlad13 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I was thinking of finally cashing in on my Tesla shares while the going is currently good. I'm not sure whether to sell Friday before their inclusion to the S&P or will they rise early Monday when market opens due to the sheer volume of shares required. Advice would be appreciated.

I probably would sell a percentage of them.
    They're on fire at the minute.what did they cost do you mind me asking?

huge potential downside, limited upside.
    maybe put a stop loss on it.

huge potential downside, limited upside.

That's what I thought when I sold mine. They've gone up by 1000% in value since...

Hi all,

inclusion is December 21st ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

whats that south american country that is basically made of lith__ that usa is
    about to (maybe started) to take over ---
    the mining companies whom gain usa government approval are sure things as
    the push to green electric batteries etc. will need that countries possesions.
    bidens pets may be a "good thing" to follow could even be the transfered "ukraine boy".
    have to watch for name placements on mining companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Hi all,

In the same boat myself... think I'll hold to see what happens when US market opens on Monday.

In the same boat myself... think I'll hold to see what happens when US market opens on Monday.

The most palatable thing to do when you are unsure as such is to sell half and let the other half run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Hi all,

The funds that are required to buy due to the S&P inclusion don't all have to buy at a specific date. They can buy before and after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭sk8board

my charting software just sounds the 'Trap' alarm every time I plug in the tesla data :D
    That said, it's beeing saying that for the past 12 months - The main issue is that charting software doesn't deal very well with stocks with an unqualtifiable emotional attachment, the two big ones for Tesla being Lord Elon/Muskateers on the one hand and also irrational retail investers (i.e. gambling) on the other, albeit they try to use momentum as a workaround.

The P/E ratio is just simply bonkers and to that end you may have seen an email from Musk to employees last week that the SP will be crushed like a 'Souflee under a sledgehammer' if they can't increase production this month, and I'd argue they'll have to keep increasing it for the next decade. Thats a lot of new factories, pretty much every year.

We've all said it before, it's genuinbely hard to see where the next SP growth is going to come from - growth that isn't already priced in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Are tesla missing the boat on solid-state - Toyota have released some great data and quantumscape are flying

https://thedriven.io/2020/12/14/toyota-plans-revolutionary-solid-state-battery-for-2021/

https://www.wired.com/story/quantumscape-solid-state-battery/

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Are tesla missing the boat on solid-state - Toyota have released some great data and quantumscape are flying

https://thedriven.io/2020/12/14/toyota-plans-revolutionary-solid-state-battery-for-2021/

https://www.wired.com/story/quantumscape-solid-state-battery/

You're quite the optimist!

Solid state batteries have been "only 5 years away commercially in an EV" for a good decade now. A couple of times a year we see an article mentioning some sort of break through and then things go quiet again.

From your first link:

"Japanese car maker Toyota will introduce a solid state battery that can recharge to full in just 10 minutes 2021, a move that could revolutionise the electric vehicle market."

Says who, the author of that article? I can't find any press release that Toyota will have a fully electric car on the market in 2021 with solid state batteries. Will they even have any EV on the market here at all next year? It would be their first EV :p

Not a chance Toyota will have an EV for sale here in Europe (or in Japan or the US) next year with solid state batteries. Not a chance in hell.

any predictions for today

i reckon we see new highs but close down fairly strong at the close as as a case of " sell the news " ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭crushproof

Odds of Tesla reaching $1,000 (again) in 2021?

• Advertisement

crushproof wrote: »
    Odds of Tesla reaching $1,000 (again) in 2021?

Probably higher than the odds of them not hitting it lol.

Advertisement