Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Triangle tyres - how are these legal?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Got a set of Michelin cross climates last week for 85 each fitted
    It was the cheapest I could find online even looking at the online tyre retailers.
    I've paid more for tyres but never that much less.
    Having spent 25 years in transport, much of that time buying tyres, cheapee tyres arent economical or a good buy in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Were they for a golf cart???

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Octavia AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

The problem with the ditchfinders is that they perform poorly in the wet. Given our cold damp climate, wet weather performance is key. Yes I know we are all driving Gods ad never put a wheel wrong (well, I do) but given the amount of idiots on the road, I want to be able to stop in an emergency. If you want to be able to stop in the wet, you need wet weather grip and there are plenty of examples of where the ditchfinders have shocking poor grip.

I also drove on the ditchfinders in the warm wet when in Africa (ya, it was heading for 35C still in the rainy season and it rained warm rain), the extra 20C in temperatures improved things on the grip front. A scientific comparison couldn't be done but the grip actually surprised me, given my experience of them in our cold wet roads.

In the dry, the ditchfinders are actually OK and almost a match to mid range tyres. When it's really warm (40C plus) they really start to get soft and the grip is fun.

Brakes are another factor but now manufacturers are fitting emergency braking assist, basically when the car detects you stamp on the pedal it applies full braking. (The manufacturers found people were not pressing the brake pedal hard enough!). As I've a car at home that has 50 year old brake design under the front, I can tell you the car will stop, but not enough as the modern cars down to a full stop. The reason, the brakes are much smaller and small non ventilated front discs. This means the brakes get hot and the braking ability drops after a while. Modern pads, changing pad compounds and fitting ventilated discs would (and do) restore the braking ability to modern cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

It was the cheapest I could find online even looking at the online tyre retailers.

Where please. Very good deal.

• Advertisement

Were they for a golf cart???

Octavia estate ..I'll let you decide if there's a difference with a golf cart ;)

Where please. Very good deal.

Discount tyres in Blanchard's town.
    I also got a 30€ voucher for fuel.

Advertisement