Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Triangle tyres - how are these legal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

That 30% difference you mentioned, that’s the 30% that actually matters, the 30% reduction in stopping distance, the 30% faster reaction time when you swerve to avoid the truck that pulled out in front of you.

That’s the 30% difference that I care about, not the name on the sidewall.
    We all understand that not everyone can afford premium tyres, I know I can’t afford €250 euro a tyre to get be the absolute best of the best, and of course there is the law of diminishing returns, but the attitude the attitude that you don’t even have to THINK about what connects you to the road unless you’re in Mondello is a very poor one.

The vast majority can afford to put an extra €50 towards their tyres, which would often bring a sizeable increase in performance, but are more worried about securing a bargain. I agree though, a quick Google can make all the difference when budgets are tight.

Again, your probably basing your numbers off a test that was completed with the best tyres on the market vs the worst. Test most probably subsidizes by one of the big name tyre companies.

30% was an arbitrary figure to make a point, based on no data like most of the stuff here..

Get past the basement barrel tyres and exclude the top end stuff and I bet you will find little difference between the rest

shietpilot wrote: »
    I suppose the cheap Chinese tyres pass the minimum requirements that are set out by the European standards and that's enough to be legal.

If the pass the standards they pass the standards. If the standards are inadequate then that's a different thread:)

Most of these brands are cheap because if they were the same price as the premium brands, no one would buy them as they have never heard of them.
    They need to get into the market somehow and advertising is too costly, therefore offering a more competitive price allows them in. This is no different to any industry...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Furtzy2 wrote: »
    My current Silverstones came with the car and they are at the bottom end of the budget range. The Nankangs were from some years ago whilst I've heard they've improved. Considering the huge increase in the use of budget tyres have accidents rates increased. Be interesting to know. Have you tried all of the brands you listed?

This is interesting.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/defective-tyres-largest-vehicle-factor-in-fatal-road-deaths-1.2597652

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

neverending nonstoppers

Can we change the thread title to this? Phenomenal. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

sozbox wrote: »

To be fair, the tyres still may not have been the cause. If I fell asleep and hit a wall in a car with bald tyres, doesn't necessarily mean the tyres were at fault.

It also mentions nothing about the brands or quality of the tyres. Could have been bald/flat/defective Michelins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

If the pass the standards they pass the standards. If the standards are inadequate then that's a different thread:)

Still doesn't change the fact that the cheap tyres are terrible when compared to the premium tyres.

Still doesn't change the fact that the cheap tyres are terrible when compared to the premium tyres.

I still think you are missing my point.

What I am saying is exclude the bottom end and top end products, and while there is a vast difference in price between the rest, the quality will hardly make a difference to the average driver..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭ongarite

RSA released some stats which backs up this thread.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0404/779346-road-safety-authority-tyres/

The majority of car owners don't know or care what tyres are on their car. They just want the cheapest option to get back in the road or pass NCT.
    The RSA report points to the car owners who don't ever check their tyres once installed outside the annual/biennial NCT rolls around.

ongarite wrote: »
    RSA released some stats which backs up this thread.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0404/779346-road-safety-authority-tyres/

The majority of car owners don't know or care what tyres are on their car. They just want the cheapest option to get back in the road or pass NCT.
    The RSA report points to the car owners who don't ever check their tyres once installed outside the annual/biennial NCT rolls around.

Well why don't the RSA tighten up on standards so?

Cant be blaming the consumer if the standards of tyres legally sold are crap!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

The largest age group driving with defective, worn or under-inflated tyres was those aged 17-24.

I wonder how they came up with this statistic? I cannot imagine the Gardai setting up a checkpoint to check tyre pressures :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

I wonder how they came up with this statistic? I cannot imagine the Gardai setting up a checkpoint to check tyre pressures :D

"Well garda, ah the tyres grand it's only flat at the bottom"

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Well why don't the RSA tighten up on standards so?

Cant be blaming the consumer if the standards of tyres legally sold are crap!!!

Have we really become a brain dead nanny state where we need someone else to tell us the tyres on our cars are ****e? What happened to having a bit of common sense and cope on that your tyres are all that keep you on the road so check their condition regularly and buy the best you can afford. Instead we have this typical lazy and ignorant attitude of sure they will be grand or the NCT will tell me. People need to be more responsible for their own vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

If you can't put mid range tyres on a budget to mid range car (15" or 16") once every few years, at a total difference of 80 euro for a set of established brand tyres versus fly-by-night random yokes? Then you are in a very bad situation, not even the moola for a pint or two every now and then. Sitting in the pub watching the premiership with only a pint of cordial in front of you, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

If you're putting neverending nonstoppers on a 19" wheel... you're waaaay outta your league and the only people you're fooling are fools.

You're right, gonna stop watching the premiership every week now and save money on the pint of cordial. Should have a brand new set of top of the range tires by 2034.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Have we really become a brain dead nanny state where we need someone else to tell us the tyres on our cars are ****e? What happened to having a bit of common sense and cope on that your tyres are all that keep you on the road so check their condition regularly and buy the best you can afford. Instead we have this typical lazy and ignorant attitude of sure they will be grand or the NCT will tell me. People need to be more responsible for their own vehicles.

This is a different issue to what I am talking about. See bold text in post 40

I am talking about the standards of new tyres sold on the market as opposed to the upkeep of tyres by consumers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Those Asian tyres are muck....but only for our weather..they're summer tyres ..Asian summers I.e.80 degrees ....had them on our megane...dangerous..bought part worn Michilens..no comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 11,199 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Those Asian tyres are muck....but only for our weather..they're summer tyres ..Asian summers I.e.80 degrees ....had them on our megane...dangerous..bought part worn Michilens..no comparison

Max, did you never hear of The Monsoon season in Asia?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

Thing about it is most tyre depots now just stock budget brands. If you want premium they have to special order them in at 2 or 4 at a time meaning that they can't get a decent deal to pass onto the consumer resulting in people just throwing on what ever is available there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

They are perfectly good tyres.

Cheap tyres can and are every bit as good as the more expensive tyres. Its all branding and marketing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Cheap tyres can and are every bit as good as the more expensive tyres. Its all branding and marketing

Popcorn's out. Want some?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Pass the popcorn this way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cheap popcorn can be just as good as more expensive popcorn too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭Goose81

Perfectly good if your driving a golf cart. They are utter ****e as proven by numerous testing done on them which is freely available online if you were bothered to check.nothing goes on the car or bike unless its a well regarded brand . What's your life worth...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

haha typical nonsense. watching "tests" conducted by or paid for by the leading tyre companies.no thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

What Irish motorists really need is the Guards and the German Traffic Cops doing a 12 months job exchange program. That would put manners on the Irish motorists I can tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

When I go for tyres, there is usually 3 choices
    1 Cheap (usually Chinese) ones
    2 Mid Price (Toyo or Lassa) which the tyre man usually recommends
    3 Premium, Good Year, Pirelli etc

I usually go for the middle ones. Should I pay the extra few euro for the more expensive ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,109 ✭✭✭✭Esel

earlytobed wrote: »
    When I go for tyres, there is usually 3 choices
    1 Cheap (usually Chinese) ones
    2 Mid Price (Toyo or Lassa) which the tyre man usually recommends
    3 Premium, Good Year, Pirelli etc

I usually go for the middle ones. Should I pay the extra few euro for the more expensive ones?

If it's only an 'extra few euro', yes! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Boskowski wrote: »
    What Irish motorists really need is the Guards and the German Traffic Cops doing a 12 months job exchange program. That would put manners on the Irish motorists I can tell you.

It'd be some TV show if nothing else!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

13 years of experience with one vehicle, it's only had 3 different makes of tyre in that time, Isuzu crew cab on 245/70/16's.

Came from manufacturer with Yokomo, which were reasonable, and put another set on when the first wore out. Second set of tyres were a disaster, Federal, didn't last 5 minutes in comparison, and the next set that went on when the Federal's went are still on it a good while on, expensive, but they have proved to be well worth the premium, BF Goodrich AT, and they just keep on rolling, but without causing me any worries in terms of performance, both in wet and cold conditions, the AT's proved their worth a while back when we had the snow on the ground for nearly a month, I never has to worry if I could get into places, in 4wd, it went where I wanted it to, without dramas, and they are still there several years on.

I found the thread about tyres relating to accident numbers thought provoking, the whole issue of the validity of being allowed to import and sell used tyres makes me wonder about our legislators, but at this stage, I shouldn't be surprised by anything, politics in this country is dysfunctional at just about every level, and motoring is only one item on a long list of areas that are being ripped off by the system.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Max, did you never hear of The Monsoon season in Asia?

Might be monsoon season, but it'll still be a min of 20°C.
    Some of those asian countries dont even have heaters in the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Joe 90

pa990 wrote: »
    Might be monsoon season, but it'll still be a min of 20°C.
    Some of those asian countries dont even have heaters in the car.
    First car my mother had did not have a heater, in Donegal not Asia.

Advertisement