Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl dated con man

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

wil wrote: »
    Compulsive liar, narcissistic, grandiose, superficial charm, risk taking, previous form, known to police. That's a lot of boxes ticked.
    What sort of age?
    If he's completely out of her life, I'd consider that a big plus.

The Swiss flag, now that's a big plus 😜

/gets coat

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Silentsoul666

Think he was nearly 30, she a fair few years younger. A big eye opener anyways, crazy how trusting people can be though,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

OP tell your friend to cancel all cards and change bank accounts etc

Already mentioned it to her, don't think he bet had her card. Bit of bags or anything left downstairs he may of gotten the info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

foggy_lad wrote: »
    OP tell your friend to cancel all cards and change bank accounts etc

Not a bad idea, worth looking in to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Worst conman ever if the OP is anything to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭MacauDragon

So he did the make equivalent of high heels, makeup and a pushup bra.

What your friend was hoping for never materialized after much bullsht and wasted time.

Oh yeah that sounds familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

mansize wrote: »
    The Swiss flag, now that's a big plus 😜

/gets coat
    Why could I only think penknives?
    I must be tired, took me few reads, or maybe my brain is addled from watching some true crime murder storiy where seemingly respectable upstanding stalwart of community turns out to be a compulsive liar who created a whole new identity in a new state after murdering someone and faking his own death and eventually traced by an ex wife because of some social security screw up.
    Isn't that what everyone was watching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

wil wrote: »
    Why could I only think penknives?
    I must be tired, took me few reads, or maybe my brain is addled from watching some true crime murder storiy where seemingly respectable upstanding stalwart of community turns out to be a compulsive liar who created a whole new identity in a new state after murdering someone and faking his own death and eventually traced by an ex wife because of some social security screw up.
    Isn't that what everyone was watching?

Swiss Army knife uses the flag's imagery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

I think the OP underestimated how long it would take to write that post. He/ she thought they would get one last April Fool's joke in before midnight. Otherwise I can't see the point of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Is this the real life?
    Is this just fantasy?
    Caught in a landslide,
    No escape from reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Open your eyes
    Look up to the skies and seeee....

He's just a poor boy
    He needs no sympathy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Easy come easy go
    Little high little low

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

In fairness, he did just kill a man, shot him point blank to the head. I'm surprised the Gardaí aren't more interested.

The girl had a lucky escape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

advice for women meeting a new man for the first time,,

believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I only heard about the loan after found out he was all waffle. The course was to do something with business and the guy had money saved for a business he starting. He had a nice story of how he had small cash flow problem coz of funeral.
    That was my first thought when I heard he was doing the course of he was already successfull and rich doing a free course

Con man / potential 419 type scam.
    Definitly change pins / passwords and check for what may have gone missing.

Tbh the alarm bells should have started ringing earlier for this girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

Always be wary of fast movers. As in just after meeting and within a few weeks there's talk of marriage, babies and a house, etc. In this case he was talking of flying her and her family away on holidays within 5 weeks of meeting. That's not right. After meeting someone new you'd just about know if someone takes sugar in their tea after 5 weeks. Jetting family members around the world shouldn't come into it within that space of time.

Absolutely not, I wasn't the only one to be suspicious of him and the behaviour.more than one member of family noticed things downtime up. Even went as far as looking up the deaths on rip.ie that of course were never there.
    He always had a story oh I've contacts to get free tickets and I get really cheap flights etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I wouldn't really call Walter Mitty types like that conmen. Well, in so far as the only person they are really conning is themselves. There's people that can lie their whole lives and get away with it, and others that can spend their whole life lying and get caught out every time. I think yer man is in the latter category.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Believing positive things that are not necessarily true about yourself is part of everyone's life.

He just made that next leap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Why's she expecting a perfect stranger to pay for her trips away and everything else he disappointed her with?
    Girl needs to learn to be independent. She got all she deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I'd be changing the locks & getting CCTV outside the door - not to mention replacing visa & bank cards - there's a lot you can scope out while in a luvingroom/kitchen where most people keep ID/bills\bank stuff & letters.

If the police know of him then he's a big local problem & a serial liar - and we already know he's not against making up sob-stories & stealing from people for his convenience.

Irish nut job or international visa scam type?

She didn't expect anything though? Nor did she ask, he "offered" everyone in the course the trip to states after she initially said no.
    He was waffling about another trip to new York as a business trip and was able to bring people as part of the deal. Always tried to make out he was getting everything at low cost so it wasn't a big deal as he put it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

She sounds really gullible to have fallen for all of that.

No he was Irish and seems to be from the part of Dublin he said he was. Only two things turned out to be true was his name and the apartment that was his parents. Turns out she was in the apartment once when he knew both parents were say for a week, his whole story of dead parents was the reason he wouldn't go back. Oh god.

Yea maybe she was abit gullible, he did have quite a few people convinced of himself, and of course the money he borrowed and never returning probably helped him along the way look like this big shot. As I said befor she spent nearly as much as he did so more thabikely just a compulsive liar and wanted to see how far he could go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Why was he sleeping on the couch and not in her bed with his penis inside her?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I know someone similar enough to that. Fantasist and confidence trickster.
    If he is anything like the guy I know, he seems to at least partly believe his own tales.
    He will talk absolute bull time and again with a straight face and has such a thick neck that being caught out doesn't bother him at all.
    You don't seem to grasp op that he got a loan of money, splashed it around, girl then spends similar meaning that he is now living the high life on twice as much stolen money. All this cost the girl money. It cost the conman nothing because of his dodgy loan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Literally I have no idea how someone has the balls to be sitting at dinner table talking about his new house the new car and holidays and have everyone else talking about it and getting excited yet him knowing its falling apart a few days later.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about the lie of his mother dying when she's actually alive.

• Advertisement

Well yea he spoke of his dead mother at the same table, looked sorta of said and he spoke of his mother in present tense not the past and I tapped better half and said WTF? But not a bother on him and everyone there feeling sorry for him. Some balls.

Advertisement