Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl dated con man

Options
  • 02-04-2016 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

OK random thing happened to a girl I know, want to see if anyone came across anything like this befor or what you think he was trying to achieve.

OK I'll leave specifics out as there's Alot to this story,
    Basically this girl meets a guy on a course about five weeks ago, start dating. This guy came across as successful smart, said he had his own businesses and all.

Anyways since I heard/met him nothing added up.
    Always had a plan and was splashing cash like no one's business, offered to bring her to let's just say the states, for a weekend as someone couldn't go and he "paid" to out her name on flight, and promised her family members tickets to concert same weekend......low and behold the day befor they were meant to go his mother died.
    They didn't go but there was a long story about a small funeral so she left him too it and didn't attend.
    Next thing he was staying in hotels as to not be in his house alone and she went with, he paid majority of time and she did once. Rest of time he was sleeping on her sofa blah blah,
    Within the next week his mother's house sold and he bought a house that would be ready in a few months( I called bs on him a few times)

He said he felt bad about the trip and concert so was flying five or six of them over to the concert in a few weeks,

He also showed up one day with brochures of a brand new car he "bought" her, that was to be delivered after a few days,(bout five weeks in) he got her a Job interview that she was looking for.
    Anyways here's where things changed, they went to town together for interview with who ever it was, he bought her a card and a bag to say good luck, they waited on this guy for hours and he didn't show. He said I'll sort it later and went home as he didn't feel well.

He hadn't replied to her so she got worried as he had been very sick so he said, and she was worried he may have done something as his parents both died recently and he wasn't in happy state. After hours of trying to get in touch with the one friend she met and she message his sister who she didn't know and no answer. So she went to police to see if they will do anything and there was no answer at his place .

Apparently the police know of him and he has done this in the past to two others. his parents where still alive and the only thing that was true was his name.
    I met him myself a few times and was really skeptical that someone would "splash" that much cash after a little amount of time, but he seemed to love talking about spending money and waving it around and talking about famous people he was out with.there was more random and bizarre things he was trying to "spend"his money on.

Anyway, he disappeared after emailing to say a load of crap about how he is going to disappear but she was advised by police to stay away,

So basically he is a con artist or compulsive liar, I can't see what he was trying to achieve, he didn't exactly scam her of anything I think all in they spent about the same as each other. (He borrowed a nice sum of money from a friendly person on the course though)
    Maybe he was homeless and looking for place to stay for free, then I think if he was on sofa was he routing through things in house etc,
    Or maybe he just wanted to act like a big shot infront of evryone.
    Anyone got any comments on this? Am I missing something here?
    Sorry for really.long post there was Alot to fit in, I've left put Alot of other stuff from this waffler but it's similar stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

OMG I'm going crazy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

OK random thing happened to a girl I know, want to see if anyone came across anything like this befor or what you think he was trying to achieve.

OK I'll leave specifics out as there's Alot to this story,
    Basically this girl meets a guy on a course about five weeks ago, start dating. This guy came across as successful smart, said he had his own businesses and all.

Anyways since I heard/met him nothing added up.
    Always had a plan and was splashing cash like no one's business, offered to bring her to let's just say the states, for a weekend as someone couldn't go and he "paid" to out her name on flight, and promised her family members tickets to concert same weekend......low and behold the day befor they were meant to go his mother died.
    They didn't go but there was a long story about a small funeral so she left him too it and didn't attend.
    Next thing he was staying in hotels as to not be in his house alone and she went with, he paid majority of time and she did once. Rest of time he was sleeping on her sofa blah blah,
    Within the next week his mother's house sold and he bought a house that would be ready in a few months( I called bs on him a few times)

He said he felt bad about the trip and concert so was flying five or six of them over to the concert in a few weeks,

He also showed up one day with brochures of a brand new car he "bought" her, that was to be delivered after a few days,(bout five weeks in) he got her a Job interview that she was looking for.
    Anyways here's where things changed, they went to town together for interview with who ever it was, he bought her a card and a bag to say good luck, they waited on this guy for hours and he didn't show. He said I'll sort it later and went home as he didn't feel well.

He hadn't replied to her so she got worried as he had been very sick so he said, and she was worried he may have done something as his parents both died recently and he wasn't in happy state. After hours of trying to get in touch with the one friend she met and she message his sister who she didn't know and no answer. So she went to police to see if they will do anything and there was no answer at his place .

Apparently the police know of him and he has done this in the past to two others. his parents where still alive and the only thing that was true was his name.
    I met him myself a few times and was really skeptical that someone would "splash" that much cash after a little amount of time, but he seemed to love talking about spending money and waving it around and talking about famous people he was out with.there was more random and bizarre things he was trying to "spend"his money on.

Anyway, he disappeared after emailing to say a load of crap about how he is going to disappear but she was advised by police to stay away,

So basically he is a con artist or compulsive liar, I can't see what he was trying to achieve, he didn't exactly scam her of anything I think all in they spent about the same as each other. (He borrowed a nice sum of money from a friendly person on the course though)
    Maybe he was homeless and looking for place to stay for free, then I think if he was on sofa was he routing through things in house etc,
    Or maybe he just wanted to act like a big shot infront of evryone.
    Anyone got any comments on this? Am I missing something here?
    Sorry for really.long post there was Alot to fit in, I've left put Alot of other stuff from this waffler but it's similar stuff.

It's late.....can I have the tldr version?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Idiot dates Idiot. It happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Girl meets compulsive liar...much hilarity ensues.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Silentsoul666

Lol sorry I nearly fell asleep writing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Thought I could follow the story.

Turns out I was conned.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,770 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

He's just not into you OP

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Some fellah told a girl a lot of lies to big himself up. Then he disappeared after sleeping on her couch. Men are bastards.

Con someone summarise this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

In my day a fella like that would be brought up the back fields and thought how to play hurley without a sliothar. ;)

• Advertisement

Thanks sand shortened it abit, wasn't as if he stayed on coach Alot,maybe three nights over the 5 weeks. Still such a random thing.
    Wasn't even shocked when I got told

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Boardz Fiend

Sand wrote: »
    Some fellah told a girl a lot of lies to big himself up. Then he disappeared after sleeping on her couch. Men are bastards.

pmsl....

Literally I have no idea how someone has the balls to be sitting at dinner table talking about his new house the new car and holidays and have everyone else talking about it and getting excited yet him knowing its falling apart a few days later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Once a guy told me he had a massive cock, he lied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Literally I have no idea how someone has the balls to be sitting at dinner table talking about his new house the new car and holidays and have everyone else talking about it and getting excited yet him knowing its falling apart a few days later.

I'd call them gullible, but that word has been removed from the dictionary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

kneemos wrote: »
    Girl meets compulsive liar...much hilarity ensues.

Rob Schneider was an animal, then he was a woman. And now Rob Schneider is a...con artist. And he's about to find out that being a con artist is a lot harder than it looks.

Da Derp Dee Derp

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭Sand

A few people are psychologically "off". They can actually paint a fantasy they believe. I've met a few where I think they're normal people, but their vision of reality is .... different. They will literally do anything to avoid contradictions to their version of events and who they are. Try to tackle them on any of the points and they will get very aggressive or sulky because you are challenging their own story of who they are. There is a quiet desperation behind it all.

This guy, he may have simply "disappeared" because he couldn't spin the lie any further and didn't want to confront the reality that there was no house, funeral, car, job...your friend probably dodged a bullet with the minimal amount of drama.

Well he disappeared in person but he had been emailing sort of feeling sorry for himself, no real explanation about anything. At least not that I know of I didn't hear the emails he sent and she had blocked him anyways.
    I think I'm more concerned than she is about the whole situation, he just never sat right with me, and I may have been caught rolling my eyes at some of the stuff he came out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Am I right in saying that this guy didn't take any money from your friend and rather he spent money on her? That's hardly what I'd call a con man. He's obviously mentally ill, seemingly not getting or not willing to have treatment and probably will go on living like this for the rest of his life. Which is quite sad when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Me_Grapes

Brol Cory Sto.

• Advertisement

Eh as I said he spent money and so did she, also I said that he had borrowed a nice sum of money off a guy in course they met as he had this whole story going of how he has his business and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Did you at least get the ride OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Eh as I said he spent money and so did she, also I said that he had borrowed a nice sum of money off a guy in course they met as he had this whole story going of how he has his business and all.

You said she met him five weeks ago in the course, so would I be right in assuming that's when the course started? If so then that's a lesson learned the hard way for the man who loaned essentially a stranger money off a few stories he's heard.

I mean why would a guy who's so successful and running a business/several businesses need to borrow money from someone he met in a part time course? Is that man who loaned the money also waiting to hear back from a Nigerian prince by any chance?

I always get the ride. How ever I am neither of the people in the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Maybe he was one of those extreme positive thinking "if I believe it hard enough it'll come true" fúckwits :pac:

I only heard about the loan after found out he was all waffle. The course was to do something with business and the guy had money saved for a business he starting. He had a nice story of how he had small cash flow problem coz of funeral.
    That was my first thought when I heard he was doing the course of he was already successfull and rich doing a free course

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Something vaguely uninteresting happened to somebody else involving somebody else again neither of whom are the op.

And they all lived indifferently ever after.

The end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Wtf did i just read?

Edit: stopped ready after a few lines as op turned from being to the character to himself..:S

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Compulsive liar, narcissistic, grandiose, superficial charm, risk taking, previous form, known to police. That's a lot of boxes ticked.
    What sort of age?
    If he's completely out of her life, I'd consider that a big plus.
    I'll take the car though.

• Advertisement

I didn't change anything lol, I always spoke of him and her? And I said when I met him that nothing added up....I didn't change character!

Advertisement