Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster vs Connacht, Friday 1st of April, KO 19:35, BBC NI & TG 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I'd prefer to see pat lam and his team on the SA flight. Not in the least bit biased
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I'd prefer to see pat lam and his team on the SA flight. Not in the least bit biased

Not sure if you have posted about Henshaw not passing tonight yet but you would definitely have a point. Couple of times where he took it into contact and was definitely wrong option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

wasnt at game. so i went down to bookie when we were 18-3 down and put money on at 10/1 for connacht to win. So we lost. Dont care. I believe we can win. Pat has installed this. Just loving this. Yes we lost this game. As for robbie, i have posted my diatribe on him. Tiernan is better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

wp_rathead wrote: »
    I was thinking Muldoon had good game, stats back it up:
    7 Tackles 0 missed
    2 Clean Breaks
    2 Defenders Beaten
    1 Offload
    45m made of 8 Carries
    4 Passes
    Ligind

He was outstanding again

He also won a turnover penalty at the breakdown and took a couple of lineouts.

Outside of Stander (who he actually comprehensively outplayed in Thomond), he's been the best performing back row forward in the country hands down this season.

As well has his obvious contribution as the stats show, his leadership and bit of cuteness are huge for us. I don't think it's any coincedence we have a number of young back rows coming through at the moment when they have someone like him to learn from on a daily basis.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Did Pienaar get a knock or did they just take him off for no reason? You'd expect the best players to stay on the pitch if you're aiming for BP wins, which you should always be but particularly at the tight end of the season. The drop in quality from Pienaar to Marshall is just too much to be making that change unless it's absolutely necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

CowboyTed wrote: »
    In all fairness Connaght Connaght.

Is it that fcuking hard to spell?!? CONNACHT!! Jesus the amount of backward lazy fans around!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Did Pienaar get a knock or did they just take him off for no reason? You'd expect the best players to stay on the pitch if you're aiming for BP wins, which you should always be but particularly at the tight end of the season. The drop in quality from Pienaar to Marshall is just too much to be making that change unless it's absolutely necessary.

The fact that Pienaar isn't at the top of his game shows just how poor Marshall has been.

I have to say that although Pienaar hasn't been at his best his pass is still superb. I wager we'd have scored in that passage of play before the end with Pienaar at 9. Marshall and his 8 steps before passing was just making it a lot easier for Connacht than it needed to be. Either that or we'd generate quick ball against a team two men down and then Marshall would get to the breakdown, look right, look left, do it again and then pass it, by which stage the quick ball was wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I was wondering the same. If Pienaar had stayed, I think the BP would have been on. There was still plenty of time left when he went off. Made a massive difference to Ulster.

d-gal wrote: »
    Is it that fcuking hard to spell?!? CONNACHT!! Jesus the amount of backward lazy fans around!!!

Didn't it used to be spelled Connaught though?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Didn't it used to be spelled Connaught though?

No. The Anglicisation of the province is Connaught, in Irish it's Connacht, and the team name is Connacht.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Ulster well deserved the win last night. I thought we were worth a bonus point personally but wasn't to be.

That last 10 minutes defence was herculean but Ulster not getting the ball wide quick shot themselves in the foot. Really surprised they didn't go for the posts a bit more.

Really high penalty count across the game. I don't think the ref had control over it really. Muldoon was practically laughing as he walked away at one point (I know him and refs don't get on at the best of times)
    I can only comment on what I saw there. I might watch it back. A really sluggish first half from Connacht how Rodney stayed on the pitch that long I'll never know. (Good luck with him Ulster) if he plays again for Connacht this year it'll be a disappointing his last 2 games were well I'll stop short of saying disgraceful he had zero interest to be on the pitch. Bealham and Dillane really brought Connacht to life.
    Robb had a good game he's a good tackler he lessened McCloskeys impact who still had a decent game.
    Jackson wasn't himself anytime I've seen him live I've always been impressed not as much last night.
    Healy isn't 8ft tall those long passes out to home were getting ridiculous.

Hopefully there isn't too many injuries with a European quarter final ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Re: Connacht / Connaught
    On my phone it used to autocorrect Connacht to Connaught so wouldn't get to annoyed at people
    My pet peeve is people calling the Sportsground the Showgrounds

Bazzo wrote: »
    No. The Anglicisation of the province is Connaught, in Irish it's Connacht, and the team name is Connacht.
    wp_rathead wrote: »
    Re: Connacht / Connaught
    On my phone it used to autocorrect Connacht to Connaught so wouldn't get to annoyed at people
    My pet peeve is people calling the Sportsground the Showgrounds

It might look like I was annoyed there but I actually wasn't :o. I don't mind people saying Connaught either but the name written on the jerseys is Connacht.

sorry bazzo was aimed at d-gal

I think it's just a bit of ignorance. I always thought it was Connaught until a few years ago.

bilston wrote: »
    I think it's just a bit of ignorance. I always thought it was Connaught until a few years ago.

So did I. Technically most places in Ireland are known by their Anglicized names. I'm sure we learned it as Connaught in school and that's not that long ago. According to Wikipedia it's been Connacht for some time.
    Usage of the Connaught spelling is now in decline. State bodies use Connacht, for example in Central Statistics Office census reports since 1926,[10] and the name of the Connacht–Ulster European Parliament constituency of 1979–2004,[11][12][13] although Connaught occurs in some statutes.[14][15]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

It was spelt that way for decades on maps, in books, on hotels (still)..http://http://www.opentable.co.uk/connaught-room?refid=ppcggl&ref=4220&sp=ppc_g_UK_Restaurants&reengagement=1&publisher_id=169194&my_campaign=Kenshoo1&ref_id=cee94565-9ab3-4610-a249-1d6319ee6abd&gclid=CPfLxtuC8MsCFZcy0wodzTUPcQ

Connaught is disappearing from everyday use. It's the Anglicised version of Connacht or even Connaght...which I've seen...not sure if that is correct. It seems in the latter years that some people get a bit thin skinned if the Anglcised version is used.

Now I wonder what the Ulster Scots name for it is.....:D:D:D probably need to make it up.:D...Something like "Thonwetplacewiththe bigwindsandGalway...mines a pint."

jacothelad wrote: »
    It was spelt that way for decades on maps, in books, on hotels (still)..http://http://www.opentable.co.uk/connaught-room?refid=ppcggl&ref=4220&sp=ppc_g_UK_Restaurants&reengagement=1&publisher_id=169194&my_campaign=Kenshoo1&ref_id=cee94565-9ab3-4610-a249-1d6319ee6abd&gclid=CPfLxtuC8MsCFZcy0wodzTUPcQ

Connaught is disappearing from everyday use. It's the Anglicised version of Connacht or even Connaght...which I've seen...not sure if that is correct. It seems in the latter years that some people get a bit thin skinned if the Anglcised version is used.

Now I wonder what the Ulster Scots name for it is.....:D:D:D probably need to make it up.:D...Something like "Thonwetplacewiththe bigwindsandGalway...mines a pint."

So it's a bit like Bombay and Mumbai then.

Anyway Luke Marshall played very well last night, hope he is ok, with McCloskey looking like he shipped a nasty one a an Olding/Marshall midfield would be a very attractive prospect for the last three games (hopefully more but I doubt it) of the campaign.

So it's a bit like Bombay and Mumbai then.

Not really because it's pronounced the same way regardless of how it's spelled. I always spelled it Connaught but it was still pronounced Connacht. It's weird that the British Anglicized it but still pronounced it wrong. Leaving it as Connacht surely would have been easier for them to say?

Anyway, that's off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

I grew up in Sligo and always used Connaught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I wouldn't. If they couldn't bear a poor Ulster team I dread to think what the Springboks would do to them.

Ulster were poor last night...very poor in fact. Completely clueless in the opposition 22. Hopefully our 2 big signings pull us forward next year.

Dudley Phillips was poor as well. Both sides living offside last night. The binning of the Connacht player was a joke. I warned you about your infringements so even though you haven't done anything wrong I'm still sending you to the bin. A bit like slapping your eldest child cause you warned the youngest 2 to stop fighting!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

mfceiling wrote: »
    I wouldn't. If they couldn't bear a poor Ulster team I dread to think what the Springboks would do to them.

Ulster were poor last night...very poor in fact. Completely clueless in the opposition 22. Hopefully our 2 big signings pull us forward next year.

Dudley Phillips was poor as well. Both sides living offside last night. The binning of the Connacht player was a joke. I warned you about your infringements so even though you haven't done anything wrong I'm still sending you to the bin. A bit like slapping your eldest child cause you warned the youngest 2 to stop fighting!!

it was either the 10 for the 'high' tackle, or Aki at the breakdown were he stopped the game. The 10 was limping at the time too and connacht had no other genuine 10 available.

Ulster were poor last night...very poor in fact. Completely clueless in the opposition 22. Hopefully our 2 big signings pull us forward next year!

Very poor? Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

That wasn't a poor ulster team. That's the best ulster team on offer. So if they are poor then that's a worry. Ignoring referee decisions, the fact that a full strength team of 15 can't whip a weakened team of 13 is indeed worrying. Pat lam for President :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

That wasn't a poor ulster team. That's the best ulster team on offer. So if they are poor then that's a worry. Ignoring referee decisions, the fact that a full strength team of 15 can't whip a weakened team of 13 is indeed worrying. Pat lam for President :-)

That might have been the best Ulster team on offer but I still feel they were poor. Headless chicken at times and some very poor decision making. It is a worry that we couldn't score against 13 men...that's a definite.
    I think connacht are also finding out that tries are more difficult to get against the better teams. One against 160 minutes playing leinster and one on Friday night.

For all the talk of TOH being a superstar I think Henshaw showed his class from 15...A lot of hate against him from one poster on here just shows his lack of knowledge when watching Henshaw on Friday night.

That might have been the best Ulster team on offer but I still feel they were poor. Headless chicken at times and some very poor decision making. It is a worry that we couldn't score against 13 men...that's a definite.

Not to pick on Paul Marshall but he was on before either Connacht player got binned. I'd have to think that if Pienaar had stayed on there'd have been at least one if not 2 tries scored against 13 man Connacht.
    Somebody else mentioned that maybe Jackson should have got involved there and screamed at Marshall for quicker ball etc. and maybe that's true. I suppose even with the drop in quality from Pienaar to Marshall not scoring against 13 men is pretty discouraging.

I think connacht are also finding out that tries are more difficult to get against the better teams. One against 160 minutes playing leinster and one on Friday night.

[B[For all the talk of TOH being a superstar I think Henshaw showed his class from 15...A lot of hate against him from one poster on here just shows his lack of knowledge when watching Henshaw on Friday night.

Henshaw is a quality player but he didn't cover himself in glory on Friday, he very much mixed the good with the bad. He butchered a try opportunity by failing to pass to a 2 on 1 overlap and deciding to take it in to contact, in fact he took it in to contact a few times where it was almost definitely the wrong option. He also fired a pass out to Healy's wing that was a danger to migrating birds and sailed well over Healy's head and in to touch. Healy had open grass between him and the try line although a covering tackler probably would have got across but who knows with his pace.

He did have some great moments too but overall not his best day at the office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

dont let the facts get in the way of your BS.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99266594&postcount=2680

neelia11 wrote: »

What's your point? Connacht were missing a decent amount aswell
    Think Billy's point was it was strongest team Ulster could name with their injuries - and alot of their replacements were pretty damn handy established players

Edit: ah wait, I notice he said Ulster were full strength which they clearly weren't ... Feck this is what I get for trying to defend Billysays No..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I don't know why you cling to this statement when it is clearly not the case. If it makes you feel better then fine but perhaps therapy might help instead of using denial. A full strength Ulster team with everyone completely fit would have overpowered that Connacht side on Friday. Unless of course you feel that guys like Herbst, Williams, Bowe, Tuohy, O'Connor, Warwick etc are really second string players. I am aware that Connacht were missing players including some very important ones. So were Ulster. Here's to the next 56 years....:D:D Chin! Chin!

Advertisement