Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster vs Connacht, Friday 1st of April, KO 19:35, BBC NI & TG 4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

Buer wrote: »
    Man of the match Jorid Peeeeeeen.

new zealands finest

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Luke Marshall going off transformed Ulster's attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Good win against the league leaders. Should have won by more. A bit more pragmatism please Ulster. Don't be afraid to take 3 points when it is offer.

Brave defence by Connacht though. They have great spirit and if they get a home semi final will most likely reach the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Inspirational defending by Connacht, a really great spectacle to watch.

bilston wrote:
    Aye it took about four of them to take Hendy on

18 stone prop pushes him over a pile of bodies with help of another. Would say Henderson is rattled!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

How 13 Connacht guys kept out 15 Ulster guys I'll never know - it was incredible stuff.

awec wrote: »
    Ulster have left a bonus point behind them tonight. Just not good enough to put Connacht to the sword.

Did you ever think we would be able to put Comnacht to the sword. That's a hard fought win. Connacht are clear at the top of the table and we just beat them. I'm happy, if a little exasperated about our play in the red zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Shame they leave with nothing though

18 stone prop pushes him over a pile of bodies with help of another. Would say Henderson is rattled!

Meh. I'd say Henderson is on the winning team. Still I like the cut of Bealham's jib. Must be the Fermanagh in him.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

bilston wrote: »
    Did you ever think we would be able to put Comnacht to the sword. That's a hard fought win. Connacht are clear at the top of the table and we just beat them. I'm happy, if a little exasperated about our play in the red zone.

I didn't before the game, but then I didn't think we'd play against 13 men for about 8 minutes.

We had the chances to score two more tries and butchered them.

I'm happy with the win but frustrated that we missed out on the extra point.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote:
    Meh. I'd say Henderson is on the winning team.

Looks like you fell into the....sar-chasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xavier8228

Gutted about the defeat, we weren't good enough in the first hand with a lot of handling errors but really stepped up in the second half. Unfortunately the damage was done. Thought Shane o Leary had a good game but should have been subbed at least 5 minutes before he was binned. He was waining a lot and making mistakes because of it.

vienne86 wrote: »
    How 13 Connacht guys kept out 15 Ulster guys I'll never know -.

Well the fact that Paul Marshall took 15 steps towards the first receiver at every breakdown didn't help Ulster!

Looks like you fell into the....sar-chasm.

Ha...think I did

Watching again, I'd have given Connacht a penalty to restart after their try. Gilroy's hit was high with lack of arms.

If I was referee. With the benefit of a replay. And perfect angles at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

I do love the TG4 analysis. For those Irish challenged they simply said that how in the name of God could Ulster not mow Connacht into the ground. 15 versus 13 and still looking equal. All the Ulster international players versus connacht unknowns. And still Ulster couldnt do it. God, but me province is the bestest :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Shame Lam never got to unleash Brennan
    Played decent at times but Ulster deserved the win - had been nice to get a LBP but not end of the world
    O'Leary looked okay but our 10 curse has struck again - O'Leary looked injured before he went off. Niyi hobbling aswell
    Dillane is awesome - Blade lively when he came on

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

In all fairness it was going to be very hard for Connaght to turn over Ulster tonight. Just too many Injuries at the moment. O'Leary played as well but it was obvious if we had someone else closer to the end we would have him on...

But not complaining, pity we didn't get a bonus point for the showing in defense towards the end but them are the breaks. No shame in this defeat...

For Ulster, what are ye at... there was only 13 of them.. Failure to wide has to be asked. You could be a really serious side if you took up Lam style for season..

I will point out that Connaght are the best value for money around, they manage to keep everyone on the edge of their seats all game...

Joke of the night came from the ref about "lets finish on a full compliment"...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Ulster were value for the win I thought at 15 v 15, seemed to have collective brain farts at the end when they should by rights have put it out of sight. Connacht very unlucky not to get the BP but they coughed up too much ground over the 80.

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Shame Lam never got to unleash Brennan
    Played decent at times but Ulster deserved the win - had been nice to get a LBP but not end of the world
    O'Leary looked okay but our 10 curse has struck again - O'Leary looked injured before he went off. Niyi hobbling aswell
    Dillane is awesome - Blade lively when he came on

Would have liked similar. Yellow cards unfortunately fecked that one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Zzippy wrote: »
    Well, Connacht scored the only try of the game so not sure that's correct. You have a point though, Ulster had great line speed in the reverse fixture and completely negated our attack

Not sure that try really is a result of fantastic attack as the defensive line wasn't really broken. Niyi got outside but was chased down and would have been tackled by 2 players. His kick was way too deep and the ball bounced perfectly to both keep it infield and get it away from McGrath. It was good play but a rather fortunate try.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Great defensively but I can't say Connacht offered much in attack to out score Ulster
    They stuffed up virtually every single chance they got when they got into the 22

salmocab wrote:
    Ulster were value for the win I thought at 15 v 15, seemed to have collective brain farts at the end when they should by rights have put it out of sight. Connacht very unlucky not to get the BP but they coughed up too much ground over the 80.

Don't think there's much doubt there. They were certainly the better side for the first 65 minutes. But their play in the last 15 was very naive.

Paul Marshall is a poor player. They killed themselves by going to maul after maul after maul. It ran the clock right down.

Connacht defended excellently in the final 15 in their own 22 but looked tired up front and were much slower off the mark in their defensive line speed overall. They won't be happy with the result and are beyond the patronising brave showing rhetoric. They came to win and rightly so.

I think the home semi finals won't be known until after the final round. Glasgow are in with a great shout of pinching it on the final day in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I was thinking Muldoon had good game, stats back it up:
    7 Tackles 0 missed
    2 Clean Breaks
    2 Defenders Beaten
    1 Offload
    45m made of 8 Carries
    4 Passes
    Ligind

In the period prior to their try Connacht played some fantastic rugby. They are a great watch to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Impressed with impact of Bealham, both himself and Buckley should be on the plane to Australia. Robb has come up against two very strong centre partnerships in six days and not been found wanting. Despite Henshaw leaving well stocked with options in centre. Said it before will say it again, Muldoon is the most important player in the history of Connacht, will be a sad day when he finishes up, hopefully he has a couple of seasons left.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Impressed with impact of Bealham, both himself and Buckley should be on the plane to Australia. Robb has come up against two very strong centre partnerships in six days and not been found wanting. Despite Henshaw leaving well stocked with options in centre. Said it before will say it again, Muldoon is the most important player in the history of Connacht, will be a sad day when he finishes up, hopefully he has a couple of seasons left.

I hope they enjoy their holiday, maybe they'll get to see an England v Aus test!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I hope they enjoy their holiday, maybe they'll get to see an England v Aus test!

Sharp wit around here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

ClanofLams wrote: »
    I'd prefer to see them in the plane to South Africa.:P:D

• Advertisement

I'd prefer to see pat lam and his team on the SA flight. Not in the least bit biased

Advertisement