Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1916 celebrations *Warning in post #1*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The city does look fantastic, the interesting bits are the aerial shots, about the statues or where/what was in place in 1916 or subsequently damaged.

The military ceremony/formalities not so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

keith16 wrote: »
    And what exactly is Ireland about OP? Seems to be the same old, tired, hate, criticism and begrudgery of all things Irish.

Like this:

I think they have done a stellar job and there and thousands of families in there today participating in the celebrations. Fair play to them.

Dublin looks absolutely amazing.

Where did they hide all the junkies today I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Pink Fairy wrote: »

Well there's not as many as Boards.ie and The Journal posters claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Jawgap wrote: »
    Because it was Oglaigh na hEireann, the Citizen Army, the Hibernian Rifles etc who fought in the Rising, and the current Defence Forces are their lineal descendants......it's their well deserved moment of commemoration.

Good job their doing too......well done to them.

"lineal descendants" my arse. That claim is a ludicrous as the nutters who claim lineage to the 1919 Dáil. Royalty has lineages, a Republic does not.

I've always found having this show of tin pot militarism and having the army brass reading out the proclamation to be embarrassing.

Nice to see most of O'Connell street blocked off from joe public too.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Its a military parade. Why did you want paddy's day mk 2?

Something less tacky but inclusive, their achievement isn't that we have a military.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭OU812

Everyone knows the centenary isn't until next month, right?

Dumb celebrating it early.

Bambi wrote: »
    "lineal descendants" my arse. That claim is a ludicrous as the nutters who claim lineage to the 1919 Dáil. Royalty has lineages, a Republic does not.

I've always found having this show of tin pot militarism and having the army brass reading out the proclamation to be embarrassing.

Nice to see most of O'Connell street blocked off from joe public too.. :confused:

There are thousands of people on O'Connell Street and VIPs around the GPO.

Also, it's only right that an officer read the proclamation as Pearse was also in military uniform when he read it.

How else could it be re-enacted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Ah well, at least the DF's Pipe Band is giving it socks.

Great to see the contribution of the DF to the UN placed at the heart of the march past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭thomil

The parade seems pretty good to me, gives a good impression of the Irish Defence Forces, probably could give a good whipping to the german Bundeswehr in its current condition. ;)
    In all seriousness, I don't understand all these complaints about the parade being so militaristic. We're talking about the centenary of an ARMED uprising for gods sake! Commemorating it with a major display of the armed forces is only logical, especially as many of those units don't get much publicity. Irish culture, and the culture of the many different nationalities here in Ireland were celebrated on St. Patrick's Day, so if this day is used to get the Defence Forces into the limelight, I'm all for it!

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Embarrassing how? Ireland is no different to any country in the world when it comes to celebrating these types of events.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    There are thousands of people on O'Connell Street and VIPs around the GPO.

Also, it's only right that an officer read the proclamation as Pearse was also in military uniform when he read it.

How else could it be re-enacted?

Through the medium of mime of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

O'Connel Street was only open to those whose relatives were related to those in the 1916 rising and VIP's which is a correct and fair way of doing it imo.

laugh wrote: »
    Something less tacky but inclusive, their achievement isn't that we have a military.

Yes it is as without them we would not have one.

You do know that every country in the world is represented by their military and police forces?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Fine day for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,253 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Needs a good Orange band to liven things up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Can't understand call those who have an issue with it being able to give a running commentary.
    If you don't like it , turn it off and do something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Busy breaking and entering out in the suburbs whilst everyone is distracted.

The prison services band marching past the GPO now, are they the lineal descenands of the people who kept the member of the 7 signatories in Kilmainham before their execution?

The prison services band marching past the GPO now, are they the lineal descenands of the people who kept the 7 signatories in Kilmainham before their execution?

No, because the leaders were sentenced to death by courts martial, imprisoned and executed by the British Army......I'm sure there's a book about it, if you're interested ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

That_Guy wrote: »
    O'Connel Street was only open to those whose relatives were related to those in the 1916 rising and VIP's which is a correct and fair way of doing it imo.

I don't think In an Ireland of equals anyone should be given a VIP status

Though it's good to see the state commentating it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

I'd love to go for a few pints with John Bowman, he always comes across as a seriously intelligent man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

That_Guy wrote: »

Why is that right. It's a Republic all people equal not some more equal because of who they are related to.

Jawgap wrote: »
    No, because the leaders were sentenced to death by courts martial, imprisoned and executed by the British Army......I'm sure there's a book about it, if you're interested ;)

Ah, I was just wondering if lineal descenands worked both ways.... It doesn't ;)

I don't think In an Ireland of equals anyone should be given a VIP status

Though it's good to see the state commentating it
    Why is that right. It's a Republic all people equal not some more equal because of who they are related to.

Oh for fu...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I thought they would have fired off a few rounds given the day that's in it

Ah, I was just wondering if lineal descenands worked both ways.... It doesn't ;)

Irish Volunteers to DF is a pretty clear line.......

British Army to IPS? Maybe some people can make the case, I don't see it.

Good to see, though, the contribution of other services acknowledged - nice 'touch' having a Garda party numbering 88 to reflect the numbers killed since the foundation of the State.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

I hope we aren't invaded today with all the military etc busy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Some of the posts in here are depressing. Some people are never happy unless they're whinging

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Some of the posts in here are depressing. Some people are never happy unless they're whinging

Can we not just give it a rest for one weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Christy42

sonofenoch wrote: »
    I'm reminded of N. Korea or China in their militaristic pomp

Or the US or England or South Korea or even Germany have started celebrating their military again or every country in the world nearly.

The lengths people are going to to try and complain is embarrassing. We are celebrating a military event, it has always been celebrated by the military so it would be odd to change it now.

And yes it is fine to only allow relatives and important politicians onto O'Connell street. It doesn't mean we aren't equal. Getting front row seats to a parade is not an incredible privilege, inviting them is symbolic and that is why it is the right thing to do.

Fair play to the organisers for this I have to say.

Advertisement