Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1916 celebrations *Warning in post #1*

Options
  • 27-03-2016 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Mod

Same ****e, different day.

If someone disagrees with you they aren't automatically trolling, discuss and rebut, attack the post and not the poster.

That said, there are a few here that are on a wind up. I've let it go till now but that's it. This is your warning, give it a rest. Take heed or get banned.

Why is this so militaristic?

It seems very simplistic to celebrate rising up against an oppressor by marching our current small neutral military force passed the GPO.

Should this not be more of a celebration of all of what Ireland is today?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

It looked great to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

If this was happening in the North, they'd all be shouting insults at the 'shinners' :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

laugh wrote: »

It seems very simplistic to celebrate rising up against an oppressor by marching our current small neutral military force passed the GPO.

I was thinking the same. A few young Irish children of differing cultures showing our future and our inclusion.

I'd have no presence of religion or politics. This is a celebration of Irish people. Not a political exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Switched it on.....it's painful to watch, ....so I'm not watching anymore, maybe someone throw up a YouTube highlights link later .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just had one of the formations pass over me in South Dublin, heading north - a cargo plane and several smaller planes. The formation was very wobbly - two of the planes came extremely close to colliding, or so it seemed from my POV. :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I think it's absolutely brilliant myself. I've criticised RTE many times but I think their coverage is excellent and the organisers did a damn good job imo.

Dublin looks absolutely incredible today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Because it was Oglaigh na hEireann, the Citizen Army, the Hibernian Rifles etc who fought in the Rising, and the current Defence Forces are their lineal descendants......it's their well deserved moment of commemoration.

Good job they're doing too......well done to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

bnt wrote: »
    Just had one of the formations pass over me in South Dublin, heading north - a cargo plane and several smaller planes. The formation was very wobbly - two of the planes came extremely close to colliding, or so it seemed from my POV. :eek:

Saw the plane flyover on TV, the winds are very strong and yes the planes were very wobbly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

I take nothing to do with it, it is full of 26 county nationalists, not the sort of nationalism that the comrades during 1916 and the war of independence fought for, for example Martin McGuinness would have more in common with them than Enda Kenny would.

This fellow sums it up well for me.

https://youtu.be/-_aWuoXNjWo?t=7m2s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

The ceremonies and parade are fantastic. Dublin looks so well in those are ariel shots. Proud to be Irish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

It's like a budget/mini version of the shows of force the old Eastern Bloc countries used to parade.

I take nothing to do with it, it is full of 26 county nationalists, not the sort of nationalism that the comrades during 1916 and the war of independence fought for.

This fellow sums it up well for me.

https://youtu.be/-_aWuoXNjWo?t=7m2s

Don't tar us all with the same brush there pal. We're not all "26 county nationalists".

RobertKK wrote: »
    Saw the plane flyover on TV, the winds are very strong and yes the planes were very wobbly.

Looks a like a strong cross-wind over O'Connell Street (judging by the flags) - hard work holding a position in a formation trying to fly along the street, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Jawgap wrote: »
    Because it was Oglaigh na hEireann, the Citizen Army, the Hibernian Rifles etc who fought in the Rising, and the current Defence Forces are their lineal descendants......it's their well deserved moment of commemoration.

Good job their doing too......well done to them.

Their aim was a republic though not professional soldiering.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

That_Guy wrote: »
    Don't tar us all with the same brush there pal. We're not all "26 county nationalists".

What is that anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Looks fantastic to me, wish I could be there

Collie D wrote: »
    What is that anyway?

I think it's those lads who wear the Celtic jerseys...

Fella on RTE loves saying "ve-HEH-cle".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I'm reminded of N. Korea or China in their militaristic pomp

• Advertisement

Their aim was a republic though not professional soldiering.

It sure was, but that doesn't change the fact that the DF deserve their time today.

City looks great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why are people complaining about a commemoration of a military event being conducted by the military of a now independent state.

Let Patrick's Day parades be for the kids and modern Ireland.

This is more to do with founding of the state and the military is very important to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,968 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Looks a like a strong cross-wind over O'Connell Street (judging by the flags) - hard work holding a position in a formation trying to fly along the street, I'd imagine.
    Indeed - this isn't really a day for low flying. The wind appears to be coming mostly WSW with gusts, and the weather radar show intermittent showers, some heavy, crossing the country.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Good job their doing too......well done to them.

Isn't there another parade going on somewhere with a group also claiming to be their lineal descendants :pac:

I think it should also be pointed out that the yearly (state) commemorations have always been done by the Defence Forces so to deny them pride of place this year would be an incredible insult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Its great so far. The last flyover came over my house .
    Of course my camera was in the bag:(

What do these guys do if they need to go to the toilet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Exactly what i was thinking "here is these tanks and vehicles we have"

Would serve them right to talk more about our nation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Its easy to be cynical but feck it. I'm proud of the work our defence forces have done and I'm proud of those who fought in 1916 for our freedom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Exactly what i was thinking "here is these tanks and vehicles we have"

Would serve them right to talk more about our nation

Its a military parade. Why did you want paddy's day mk 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

And what exactly is Ireland about OP? Seems to be the same old, tired, hate, criticism and begrudgery of all things Irish.

Like this:
    Pink Fairy wrote: »
    Switched it on.....it's painful to watch, ....so I'm not watching anymore, maybe someone throw up a YouTube highlights link later .

I think they have done a stellar job and there and thousands of families in there today participating in the celebrations. Fair play to them.

Dublin looks absolutely amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Jesus the commentary is abysmal.

Like they dragged 3 people off the streets.

Advertisement