Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting a car to NCT centre without tax/insurance.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    Do you have a link for where you found that? I look at motortax.ie FAQs and Q15 is totally different.

15Q. Can I change ownership of my vehicle on this site?
    15A. Not at present. When the ownership of a vehicle changes, both the seller and buyer must complete the appropriate details on the Vehicle Licensing Certificate (VLC), Vehicle Registration Certificate (VRC) or form RF105 (if the new owner is a motor dealer). The completed form should then be sent to the Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division, Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport, Shannon, Co. Clare. The Department will update the computer records and issue a new VRC.

In the case of vehicles registered prior to 1st January 1993, notification of transfer of Vehicle Ownership Form RF200 must be completed and must be sent to the seller's local motor tax office.

You may check the status of a Vehicle Change of Ownership Transaction by clicking on the View Transaction Enquiry Link.

Motortax.ie then go to bottom link on 1st page sign off road/declare off road.

Then select read text this is not made up and is well known.

As stated numerous times.

Car driver must have a licence, insurance and juice to get them there nothing else applies as you are allowed to drive without nct or tax to get it tested or to garage to repair and back home again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Motortax.ie then go to bottom link on 1st page sign off road/declare off road.

Then select read text this is not made up and is well known.

As stated numerous times.

Car driver must have a licence, insurance and juice to get them there nothing else applies as you are allowed to drive without nct or tax to get it tested or to garage to repair and back home again.

The link is for driving an untaxed, and declared off the road, vehicle to the test centre it doesn't mention NCT. The link I posted says it's an offence to drive a car without NCT. Please provide a link which states that you can drive a vehicle without an NCT?

Del2005 wrote: »
    The link is for driving an untaxed, and declared off the road, vehicle to the test centre it doesn't mention NCT. The link I posted says it's an offence to drive a car without NCT. Please provide a link which states that you can drive a vehicle without an NCT?

Self explanatory in my post from motortax.ie. Its all there.

If it fails you are allowed to drive it back and also drive it to be repaired once you can prove that is what you are doing.

If a car is deemed dangerously defective ncts will not let you drive your car away and must be collected by recovery truck/trailer.

Best example ill give you is I have had a car off road nearly 2 years nct is out 2years I am allowed to drive said car once it is to a booked in nct test and if it fails I am then allowed to drive it home then say in a few days I have it booked in with mechanic to do repairs i can drive car there and home after repairs then book nct if it is not a visual and drive back to test centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Hey lads thanks a million for the advice. I text a local mechanic who has trade insurance and he will collect the car, pre-nct and drop it back to the house for 100e. Seems like a fair price and I don't have to gamble my license.

Thanks for the advice.

Sitec wrote: »
    Hey lads thanks a million for the advice. I text a local mechanic who has trade insurance and he will collect the car, pre-nct and drop it back to the house for 100e. Seems like a fair price and I don't have to gamble my license.

Thanks for the advice.

Where you located op that's expensive for a few minutes drive and 20 min test if that or is it a good distance?

• Advertisement

Where you located op that's expensive for a few minutes drive and 20 min test if that or is it a good distance?

In Kilkenny, I think it's a pretty good price. He's putting it up on a lift and doing the usual lights and levels and sending it over. The car should fly it as it was off the road a good while and has done very little mileage since last test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The car should fly it as it was off the road a good while and has done very little mileage since last test.

Tell him to take it for a spin to have the engine hot going in to NCT centre, more welly needed if its diesel given that car has not been in use.
    Exhaust system needs to be up to temperature to function correctly for emissions control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭CarFan100

If it fails you are allowed to drive it back and also drive it to be repaired once you can prove that is what you are doing.

If a car is deemed dangerously defective ncts will not let you drive your car away and must be collected by recovery truck/trailer.

Best example ill give you is I have had a car off road nearly 2 years nct is out 2years I am allowed to drive said car once it is to a booked in nct test and if it fails I am then allowed to drive it home then say in a few days I have it booked in with mechanic to do repairs i can drive car there and home after repairs then book nct if it is not a visual and drive back to test centre.

Your quoted text doesn't say you can drive without nct

There may be a presumption that the existing NCT is still valid while retesting and repairs are carried out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

drove a car to the NCT in July 2014. Car had no tax or NCT at the time. drove out no problem. met a checkpoint 100 yards from my house and the cop was 1001 questions. I explained to him it was only being driven for the purpose of being nct'd and he accepted the legislation allows one to do it. all I was asked to do was produce insurance to prove I was allowed drive the car via 3rd party extension which wasn't a problem and the matter was finished and over with.

CarFan100 wrote: »
    Your quoted text doesn't say you can drive without nct

There may be a presumption that the existing NCT is still valid while retesting and repairs are carried out?

If your car fails and nct is there you now have a form stating it failed so nct is void till repairs are carried out.

How could a car off the road 3 years have valid nct its covered on the faq I supplied.

Its the only time the car can be driven as a import falls under the same as it wont be taxed till it has vrt paid and nct test if 4years old. You can drive car on e.g uk plates to centre for inspection and then pay vrt then tax when all that I done.

• Advertisement

KC161 wrote: »
    drove a car to the NCT in July 2014. Car had no tax or NCT at the time. drove out no problem. met a checkpoint 100 yards from my house and the cop was 1001 questions. I explained to him it was only being driven for the purpose of being nct'd and he accepted the legislation allows one to do it. all I was asked to do was produce insurance to prove I was allowed drive the car via 3rd party extension which wasn't a problem and the matter was finished and over with.

I'm not going to insure the car until I know the car will pass the NCT so I was sort of snookered in that regard.

I'm not going to insure the car until I know the car will pass the NCT so I was sort of snookered in that regard.

have you another car with insurance?just use that. as long as the other car isn't in your name there's no problem.

Your post refers to motor tax. It doesn't mention NCT, please provide a link which contradicts the one I posted, from citizens information which you initially quoted, which says you can drive without an NCT?

I was stopped by a Garda once on a bike with no tax and was let ride on when he could have taken the bike off me. Just because both of us met the right Garda on the right day doesn't mean that we where legally on the road.

While Gardai are supposed to enforce the law they don't always know it, plenty of people getting stopped towing twin axel trailers in 2wd cars being the most obvious case of them not knowing the law.

have you another car with insurance?just use that. as long as the other car isn't in your name there's no problem.

I've a company car so am using fleet insurance. It's a right pain actually because when getting quotes the insurance companies would not accept it as a NCB.

I've a company car so am using fleet insurance. It's a right pain actually because when getting quotes the insurance companies would not accept it as a NCB.

A feck it. I can only imagine how annoying that must be. For any private insurance you are fcuked. Insurance prices aren't bad enough at the moment. Have you a relative who can transfer insurance?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Can't find the information about the legality of driving TO the test centre for a booked test, but this covers the rest of the day, which implies that getting it there is also legal.

I have added the bold to highlight the relevant bits.

SI 322 of 2014

(5) This Regulation does not apply to a vehicle—

(a) first registered prior to 1 January 1980,

(b) which is used solely on an off-shore island,

(c) on the day on which a test certificate in respect of the vehicle had been refused, or

(d) which is owned or operated by the Garda Síochána or the Defence Forces.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Your post refers to motor tax. It doesn't mention NCT, please provide a link which contradicts the one I posted, from citizens information which you initially quoted, which says you can drive without an NCT?

I didn't quote citizens info.

I give up you are not allowed to drive without nct unless you are booked for nct and bringing to appointment it is covered under the declared off the road so no tax also.

I have explained enough as that's what is there and is permitted under the conditions stated.

If you are driving around without nct that is an offence but when going to or from test centre or garage to repair you are permitted as who would keep nct on a car they haven't had on the road for years.

Tax is also covered under all of the above as per FAQ from motortax.ie provided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭CarFan100

I give up you are not allowed to drive without nct unless you are booked for nct and bringing to appointment it is covered under the declared off the road so no tax also.

I have explained enough as that's what is there and is permitted under the conditions stated.

If you are driving around without nct that is an offence but when going to or from test centre or garage to repair you are permitted as who would keep nct on a car they haven't had on the road for years.

Tax is also covered under all of the above as per FAQ from motortax.ie provided.
    Why would the car have to have been off the road for years

Could a car have been declared off the road for months and still have valid nct

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Can't find the information about the legality of driving TO the test centre for a booked test,
    You can't find the information, as there is none.
    It's illegal to drive to NCT centre for a test without valid NCT.
    but this covers the rest of the day, which implies that getting it there is also legal.
    I'm not sure how according to you this implies legality of driving to the test centre.
    It clearly says "on the day on which a test certificate in respect of the vehicle had been refused". When driving to the test centre for NCT, test certificate wasn't refused yet, so surely this exception can not apply here.

SI 322 of 2014

(c) on the day on which a test certificate in respect of the vehicle had been refused, or

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

You are understanding it wrong.
    What you quoted from motortax website, refers to driving untaxed vehicle.
    There's not a word about driving vehicle without valid NCT.

You'll have to accept you are wrong - there is no legal way to drive car without NCT to the test centre.

CiniO wrote: »
    You are understanding it wrong.
    What you quoted from motortax website, refers to driving untaxed vehicle.
    There's not a word about driving vehicle without valid NCT.

You'll have to accept you are wrong - there is no legal way to drive car without NCT to the test centre.

There is when it is booked otherwise how would one get the untaxed vehicle there after years of sitting up.

Have done it for years with many cars including been pulled over and check points and showed documents to show test on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

There is when it is booked otherwise how would one get the untaxed vehicle there after years of sitting up.

Have done it for years with many cars including been pulled over and check points and showed documents to show test on.

The Guards are humans as well - but would be perfectly in their rights to issue a ticket.

Sorry, but your explanations sound like something you'd hear in a kindergarten...

The law is actually very specific. It states that the regulation ( to have a valid NCT) does NOT apply
    on the day on which a test certificate in respect of the vehicle had been refused

If it passes, then there IS a valid certificate for the date concerned, as unlike insurance, which has a specific start and finish date AND TIME, there are no times associated with an NCT. So, if it passes, there is a valid certificate for that date, so the vehicle is technically legal. If it fails, it is also technically legal FOR THAT DAY ONLY, and not for any other day, or for a quick trip or two as "there's a test booked in a few weeks time".

So, if a vehicle is stopped on the way to the centre, in strict terminology, the production a pass OR fail certificate at the garda station AFTER the test means that no offence has been committed. It probably hasn't ever been argued in court as it's unlikely that it would get that far, in the very specific and limited case that IS covered very specifically in the legislation.

The way it's worded is somewhat arcane, and it for sure doesn't qualify for a "good english" (or Irish) award, but I don't think there can be any doubt about the very specific statement in the legislation. Effectively, I could drive from Donegal to Kerry and back for a test, and take a diversion via Dublin on the way, and it's legal to do so, for that day only. That also covers the re test, in the same way, as either a pass or fail certificate will be issued for that specific date.

The latest (2014) SI has another very specific case, that effectively confirms the above

Some vehicles on off shore islands with no road connection now may have to have a test, so there is another very specific exemption, where it states that the NCT regulations shall NOT apply.
    in the 24 hour period prior to a test appointment in the case of a vehicle heretofore used solely on an off-shore island attending for a first test provided evidence of the appointment is produced.

So, there's no direct words in the legislation to say *you can drive TO the test", as it's effectively covered by the wording that exempts a vehicle from the legislation on the basis of a fail certificate.

Thank you and good night. Boom

Can't find the information about the legality of driving TO the test centre for a booked test, but this covers the rest of the day, which implies that getting it there is also legal.

SI 322 of 2014

To me that reads that if you failed an NCT you can drive back from the NCT centre to your home, you've been refused a certificate. If you're NCT has expired you haven't been refused a certificate so there is no way to drive to the centre, but you can drive it home as you have been refused a certificate.

The law is actually very specific. It states that the regulation ( to have a valid NCT) does NOT apply

If it passes, then there IS a valid certificate for the date concerned, as unlike insurance, which has a specific start and finish date AND TIME, there are no times associated with an NCT. So, if it passes, there is a valid certificate for that date, so the vehicle is technically legal. If it fails, it is also technically legal FOR THAT DAY ONLY, and not for any other day, or for a quick trip or two as "there's a test booked in a few weeks time".

So, if a vehicle is stopped on the way to the centre, in strict terminology, the production a pass OR fail certificate at the garda station AFTER the test means that no offence has been committed. It probably hasn't ever been argued in court as it's unlikely that it would get that far, in the very specific and limited case that IS covered very specifically in the legislation.

The way it's worded is somewhat arcane, and it for sure doesn't qualify for a "good english" (or Irish) award, but I don't think there can be any doubt about the very specific statement in the legislation. Effectively, I could drive from Donegal to Kerry and back for a test, and take a diversion via Dublin on the way, and it's legal to do so, for that day only. That also covers the re test, in the same way, as either a pass or fail certificate will be issued for that specific date.

The latest (2014) SI has another very specific case, that effectively confirms the above

Some vehicles on off shore islands with no road connection now may have to have a test, so there is another very specific exemption, where it states that the NCT regulations shall NOT apply.

So, there's no direct words in the legislation to say *you can drive TO the test", as it's effectively covered by the wording that exempts a vehicle from the legislation on the basis of a fail certificate.

You can drive a vehicle which was exempt due to being on a non road connected Island within 24 hours from leaving the Island to a test centre vehicles, which are not from an Island are not mentioned. Why would the legislation specify being from a non connected Island if it applies to all vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Lack of penalty does not constitute lawfulness.

You can drive a vehicle which was exempt due to being on a non road connected Island within 24 hours from leaving the Island to a test centre vehicles, which are not from an Island are not mentioned. Why would the legislation specify being from a non connected Island if it applies to all vehicles?

With a copy of the appointment notification, it effectively allows a longer period of use, presumably to allow for the scenario of having to get a ferry across on the day before the test.

Vehicles not from an island are covered by the other statement relating to the regulations not applying on the day of a test, even if it fails, but that doesn't give the extra time, though with NCT centres operating extended hours now, that point may well be moot.

• Advertisement

To me that reads that if you failed an NCT you can drive back from the NCT centre to your home, you've been refused a certificate. If you're NCT has expired you haven't been refused a certificate so there is no way to drive to the centre, but you can drive it home as you have been refused a certificate.

It would be very rare for the test to be being done on the day of expiry, so even if it fails, the old test is still valid. If it fails, you get a statement of failure, and I don't see how the legislation can be clearer re the fail.

on the day on which a test certificate in respect of the vehicle had been refused.

If it fails, it HAS been refused a certificate, relating to the test that has just been performed. Usage on THE DAY has been specifically allowed for by the wording in the legislation.

So, if there is no NCT in force on the day of the test, regardless of pass or fail, the legislation allows it to be on the road.

Advertisement