Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting a car to NCT centre without tax/insurance.

Options
  • 26-03-2016 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭

What's the cheapest way to get a vehicle to the NCT Centre without the above?

The test centre is only 4 km's away but I don't want to chance drving it.

I was thinking if I booked it into a garage for pre-nct and asked them to collect it from my house? Probably cost a bomb.

Suppose I could get it there on the back of a truck but that would cost a fair bit to.

Anyone have any experience? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Sitec wrote: »
    What's the cheapest way to get a vehicle to the NCT Centre without the above?

The test centre is only 4 km's away but I don't want to chance drving it.

I was thinking if I booked it into a garage for pre-nct and asked them to collect it from my house? Probably cost a bomb.

Suppose I could get it there on the back of a truck but that would cost a fair bit to.

Anyone have any experience? Thanks.

I get my garage to do it on their trade plates, otherwise you'll need a trailer.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

How long is tax out? Could get a friend with 3rd party extension to drive it for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

aaakev wrote: »
    How long is tax out? Could get a friend with 3rd party extension to drive it for ya

The Tax is out since April 14. The car was parked up for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

If the car is declared off the road, then you can legally drive to NCT centre for purpose of the test, even though it doesn't have valid tax.

As for lack of insurance on the car, just ask someone who has a policy on their own car, and "driving other cars" extension to drive it for you.

If car has no valid NCT, then there's no legal way to drive it, but fine for driving without NCT is not that severe, and chances of guards fining you for that if you can show him you are actually driving it to the test centre, are slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

CiniO wrote: »
    If the car is declared off the road, then you can legally drive to NCT centre for purpose of the test, even though it doesn't have valid tax.

The car wasn't declared off the road but will be going in to my name.

As for lack of insurance on the car, just ask someone who has a policy on their own car, and "driving other cars" extension to drive it for you.

I thought the car still had to be insured before the "drving other cars" extension was legal?

If car has no valid NCT, then there's no legal way to drive it, but fine for driving without NCT is not that severe, and chances of guards fining you for that if you can show him you are actually driving it to the test centre, are slim.

Thanks very much for the suggestion, I really don't want any hassle if I am stopped or someone hit me.

I might just bite the bullet and get it there on the back of a truck but I'd imagine the car will fail straight away coming in on the back of a truck :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,050 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I thought the car still had to be insured before the "drving other cars" extension was legal?
    Depends on the policy.

Is it still legal to tow a car these days?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Esel wrote: »
    Depends on the policy.

Is it still legal to tow a car these days?

It's using the road so would still need tax. The person towing would need a BE licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Automatic 5 penalty points not that severe ? Eh no thanks

Also a third party extension won't cover it without tax / nct

Back of a truck for you mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

1. Any car can be driven to a booked nct.

This includes no tax no nct.

The only things that are needed are a driving licence, insurance, wheels with tyres and some juice.

If the car has been sitting up a good idea would be to give a service especially if one could do themselves at home. Air filter, oil filter, oil and plugs if applicable.

Another good tip would be drive the nuts out of the car and arrive only shortly before test so engine Is warm.

1. Any car can be driven to a booked nct.

This includes no tax no nct.

The only things that are needed are a driving licence, insurance, wheels with tyres and some juice.

Link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Arkady

could you tow it there ?

Del2005 wrote: »
    Link?

Check it out on citizens and motor tax FAQ.

I am 100% sure its the case but as stated it must be to an appointment and obviously the trip home other then that it is not permitted.

Op you must know someone in the family or a friend who could drive as extension on their policy once booked they will be covered to get car to centre and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Bring it down on a bad day. The fuzz don't come out when it's raining.

ebbsy wrote: »
    Bring it down on a bad day. The fuzz don't come out when it's raining.

Their cars with anpr do though so that could be a problem.

Bridges are also a problem ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Get someone to drive a minute or two in front of you to act as your eyes and ears, they can ring back to you if the boyos are out :pac:

Would be fair unlucky if something happened in those 4km!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Esel wrote: »
    Depends on the policy.?

Doesn't depend on the policy. There does not have to be any insurance on the car driven on 3rd party extention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

You're out of date....it's only three points now and no court appearance

Check it out on citizens and motor tax FAQ.

I am 100% sure its the case but as stated it must be to an appointment and obviously the trip home other then that it is not permitted.

The first paragraph on citizens information says it's an offence to drive without valid NCT, there's no mention of driving with expired NCT to the centre. Motor tax doesn't even mention NCT.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/vehicle_standards/national_car_test.html

Doesn't depend on the policy. There does not have to be any insurance on the car driven on 3rd party extention

Most require the car to have a valid NCT though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Del2005 wrote: »
    Most require the car to have a valid NCT though.

Aa insurance requires it. And loads of other things.

So no hard rules here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

they may require it but you would still have the minimum third party cover as required by Law. Your Ins Co might not be happy but the Gards would

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

You're out of date....it's only three points now and no court appearance

It's now 60 euro fine and 3pp if you pay within the first 28 days, then 90 euro and 3pp if you pay within the next 28 and then to court where the penalties will obviously higher

Be very wary of allowing the car on their insurance if your car doesn't have any. This is from my own Insurance policy:

D Driving other cars

4 a current certificate of insurance has been issued and remains in force on the Private car being driven under the Driving other cars cover provided;

they may require it but you would still have the minimum third party cover as required by Law. Your Ins Co might not be happy but the Gards would

When you next look for a quote you might not be happy.

Q15. What if I'm due to have an NCT while my car is off the road?
    A15. A vehicle may be used during the period of a non-use declaration in two cases: ◦to bring it to and from a test centre for the test; or
    ◦to bring it for repair after a re-test, or back to where you are keeping it while it is off the road after the repairs. This option may only be used where an appointment has already been made for a re-test.
    The same rules apply to roadworthiness testing for commercial vehicles.

If you are bringing the vehicle to a test centre or to or from repairs after a test failure, it would be advisable to carry a copy of the appointment for the test or re-test with you.

My post above is from motortax.ie and is in the law so anyone saying different is wrong its actually the only time you can legally drive without tax but is a good idea and gives people that chance to have everything in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

My post above is from motortax.ie and is in the law so anyone saying different is wrong its actually the only time you can legally drive without tax but is a good idea and gives people that chance to have everything in order.

You can drive without tax no problem for NCT when vehicle is declared off the road, but you can't do it if there's no insurance or no NCT.

You can drive without tax no problem for NCT when vehicle is declared off the road, but you can't do it if there's no insurance or no NCT.

Obviously.... I already mentioned that earlier we have gone over this before.

What I posted above is the law and obviously you must be insured to do so nobody has said you could without.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Do you have a link for where you found that? I look at motortax.ie FAQs and Q15 is totally different.

15Q. Can I change ownership of my vehicle on this site?
    15A. Not at present. When the ownership of a vehicle changes, both the seller and buyer must complete the appropriate details on the Vehicle Licensing Certificate (VLC), Vehicle Registration Certificate (VRC) or form RF105 (if the new owner is a motor dealer). The completed form should then be sent to the Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division, Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport, Shannon, Co. Clare. The Department will update the computer records and issue a new VRC.

In the case of vehicles registered prior to 1st January 1993, notification of transfer of Vehicle Ownership Form RF200 must be completed and must be sent to the seller's local motor tax office.

You may check the status of a Vehicle Change of Ownership Transaction by clicking on the View Transaction Enquiry Link.

Edit - Found it on the environ.ie website... http://www.environ.ie/local-government/motor-tax/vehicle-road/qa

Advertisement