Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it too expensive to play Lotto ?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Yo

Yeah I was going to put in a disclaimer saying that that might not be how probability theory works!

Would you like to join my pyramid scheme?

smash wrote: »
    Yo

Yeah I was going to put in a disclaimer saying that that might not be how probability theory works!

Would you like to join my pyramid scheme?
    I'll have you know my model is known as the "Trapazoid" and guarantees all of you an 800% risk free return .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I don't play it that regularly and when I do I never win anything. I agree that it's too expensive. Not sure why you have to do a minimum of two lines for the normal lotto? It would be more affordable to be able to do just one. Euromillions is more affordable for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Do you reckon its too expensive now these days to play Lotto at €4 minimum for play? - I personally think it is .

I think if they introduced a one line for €1 or €1.50 but with a maximum of a Million Euro Jackpot I would be inclined to do it regularly rather than the way it is now, thats why I personally hardly ever play it and certainly not every week like some people.

When I settled in Ireland in the 90's it was £1 irish punts to play, I know you got to factor inflation and larger prizes and everything but €4 is no longer attractive to me whereas before when it was £1 we either done the lotto once or twice a week.

Stop paying the poor people tax. Problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Stop paying the poor people tax. Problem solved.

Stop being so in-pc. It's the vulnerable in society tax!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I thought the Daily Millions was only 36 numbers? 39 is ridiculous for an extra game.

Now there are 2 draws? It really is just praying on the vulnerable and addicted in the society. I play occasional but I imagine the only people who play Daily Millions twice a day can't really afford to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Pete123456 wrote: »
    And now its TWICE a day. 2pm and 9pm. one euro, one line, one million...

utter sh!te... the higest prize won last night was 25 quid. It was won by 48 people who matched 4 numbers. TOTAL number of prizes last night was 682! You can be sure there were thousands of tickets/lines sold around the country.

Aside from the odd 3 quid i see when i check customer's tickets, there's feck all being won on the daily. There was a million won here the first or second draw when it was launched and since then barely anything. Its a joke of a game.

Maybe because people don't play daily millions as much as the normal wed/sat lotto draws?
    Also, the daily millions is better than the normal draws, price and odds wise

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I just play in the bookies now .10c a line so if i was to pay the 5 euro i obviously get 50 attempts

odds are

40000/1 for 5 from 7
    3800/1 for 4 from 7
    375 for 3 from 7
    38/1 2 from 7

I always do it from 7. while the odds are from 6 numbers the one time i did it my 4th number was the bonus :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Shergar6

It does add up but woman down the road from me won the big jackpot years ago and my aunt is after winning 2k on the euromillions - Twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

I am beginning to wonder it the daily million is fixed like some of those lotteries run by various clubs round the country, and it has had so many breakdown of machines and this 8 million debacle about it still not being paid ,never any problems like this with An Post when they were running the lottery

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Are there any figures available showing lotto sales/prizes before and after these changes? I wonder has it backfired on them financially.

i just hope it has

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0603/793024-lotto-deadline/

so it has finally been paid, I am sure like all lottery players ,just what was the reason lotteries had for withholding payment until last day for claiming, as a weekly and daily player we all need to know what all the fuss was about ,it could be you next

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

For people that do the lotto each week, why not do it once a month instead for the combined weekly values? Quadruple your chances of winning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

barney4001 wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0603/793024-lotto-deadline/

so it has finally been paid, I am sure like all lottery players ,just what was the reason lotteries had for withholding payment until last day for claiming, as a weekly and daily player we all need to know what all the fuss was about ,it could be you next

funny how a solicitor had to be got to enable the winnings be collected, i assume interest will be paid on the winnings from day one, it seems from reading bits and pieces online from the uk that camelot are not well got over there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

I do the euromillions every now and again. Sure the odds are crazy. Thats what the person who won 100 million said to himself a while back (and many more before him). Don't know the stats but its probably won every couple of months or so to the tune of over 50 million.

Once you're not blowing the household budget whats the harm in spending a tenner on a 3 line euromillions once a week. Some serious killjoys here. Someone wins eventually. Same people would probably spend the same money on lunch everyday.

Its called having a bit of fun ffs.

Winterlong wrote: »
    Are there any figures available showing lotto sales/prizes before and after these changes? I wonder has it backfired on them financially.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Lottery_(Ireland)

Advertisement