Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it too expensive to play Lotto ?

Options
  • 25-03-2016 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭

Do you reckon its too expensive now these days to play Lotto at €4 minimum for play? - I personally think it is .

I think if they introduced a one line for €1 or €1.50 but with a maximum of a Million Euro Jackpot I would be inclined to do it regularly rather than the way it is now, thats why I personally hardly ever play it and certainly not every week like some people.

When I settled in Ireland in the 90's it was £1 irish punts to play, I know you got to factor inflation and larger prizes and everything but €4 is no longer attractive to me whereas before when it was £1 we either done the lotto once or twice a week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't play so have no input on the price.
    Hope this helps xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

More chance of being mauled by a great white shark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

You're not from Sligo by any chance, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

It's the number of balls that is the biggest problem Andy.

In lotteries and most other aspects of life, you have to get the number of balls right. Too few is a problem. Too many is a very serious worry indeed.

And what's the story with them being multi-coloured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Gob****e tax!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Yes, €5 for a 2 line quick pick with lotto plus! and if you get 5 numbers now you only get €400!!!!

I got 5 numbers twice in the last 10 years and got €2k each time.

Rip off now so I've stopped playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭MacauDragon

Throwing money away is always too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

More chance of being mauled by a great white shark.

On land

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

keith16 wrote: »
    You're not from Sligo by any chance, are you?

oooh your good! :D

• Advertisement

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

interesting , thanks for the info. must check it out. must have been living under a rock, hadnt heard of it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

On land

Swan then if we are being pedantic and in relation To Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I only really do it when it goes up to a big jackpot. If things are tight that week I wouldn't bother.

It is way too expensive now a days. It has turned from a bit of fun to genuine gambling. I would rather put my €4 on a horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I spend 22 euro a week on the lotto. Thats to play each lotto and euromillions draw. Thats affordable for me. And a lot less than some other vices such as smoking for example, on which a person smoking a pack a day will spend the guts of 70 quid a week.

I love how people consider it an investment and expect to get something back. I play for the (very small) possibility of winning a big prize and am happy to pay for that chance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tzardine wrote: »
    I spend 22 euro a week on the lotto. Thats to play each lotto and euromillions draw. Thats affordable for me.
    That's €1,122 a year less winnings.

Over the 28 years the lotto has been around that rate of spending would be €32,120 or thereabouts not including any interest that could have been earned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I spend €22 per week on the lotto.

At times I think it's about the only thing that keeps me going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

That's €1,122 a year less winnings.

Over the 28 years the lotto has been around that rate of spending would be €32,120 or thereabouts not including any interest that could have been earned.

And if you win the jackpot you wont be giving two ****s about that

Jaysus lads 22euro on lottery per week, that's serious that is!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    And if you win the jackpot you wont be giving two ****s about that
    Statistically you might be better off investing in shark repellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Statistically you might be better off investing in shark repellent.

Tell that to all the jackpot winners.

• Advertisement

Would ye put 22quid in a fruit machine like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

I spend €22 per week on the lotto.

At times I think it's about the only thing that keeps me going.

better off taking some of that and gambling on penny stocks, or altcoins or other high risk high return things with better expected value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Would ye put 22quid in a fruit machine like?

No.

But I don't drink,smoke,go to the bookies and I haven't been on a holiday since 2008 (and don't intend on ever going on one again unless I happen to win the lotto).

All of those things above I would consider to be pointless expenses so although it is a decent bit of money and sometimes I think it's too much and a waste of money it only needs to work out once.I probably win €10 per month as well which reduces the cost a small bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

It's too expensive NOT to play the Irish National lottery... sure you could win a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Anecdotally I know a few people who've stopped playing it since the number of balls increased and the price went up. It was never a particularly cheap thing to be playing on a regular basis but I wonder have the changes put more people off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

COMPARED TO UK LOTTERY THE IRISH ONE IS CHEAPER AND WITH LESS NUMBERS' ONCE THE UK ADDED 10 NEW NUMBERS THE PLAYERS HAVE BEEN DROPPING OUT AND NO WONDER,I QUIT THE UK LOTTERY BUT I NOW PUT 37.50 EUROS IN IRISH DRAWS LOTTO' DAILY MILLION AND EUROMILLIONS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I HEAR YOU. I THINK WE CAN ALL HEAR YOU. EVEN THE DEAF CAN HEAR YOU.

I see its not run by An Post any more since 2014 then ...

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

We used to play the minimum amount for the Irish Lotto until the change to the number of balls/cost came about last year. Only do a very, very odd quick pick on occasion since. Saving the €6 we used to shell out every week now for a definite windfall holiday this summer :) When you add it all up, that's a substantial €312 in a year - and that's the very minimum payment.

If you're paying €22 a week, that's €1144 in a year - a very decent annual holiday could be had for that amount.

• Advertisement

No.

But I don't drink,smoke,go to the bookies and I haven't been on a holiday since 2008 (and don't intend on ever going on one again unless I happen to win the lotto).

All of those things above I would consider to be pointless expenses so although it is a decent bit of money and sometimes I think it's too much and a waste of money it only needs to work out once.I probably win €10 per month as well which reduces the cost a small bit.

well sure its your money isnt it, you can do what u like with it. If you win, I live in Sligo :D

Advertisement