Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it too expensive to play Lotto ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Tell that to all the jackpot winners.
    Tell that to the people who've been attacked by sharks, especially if you owe them money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Tell that to all the jackpot winners.

What's the statistical probability of knowing one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

mansize wrote: »
    What's the statistical probability of knowing one?

I know two.

(Neither of them is me :()

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

That dailymillions is a colossal fraud ,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

its the ones that remain anonymous that you got to wonder about - could be a few of them around and you wouldnt know it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

You get much better odds in the bookies, for all except the jackpot

• Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

davo2001 wrote: »
    Yes, €5 for a 2 line quick pick with lotto plus! and if you get 5 numbers now you only get €400!!!!

I got 5 numbers twice in the last 10 years and got €2k each time.

Rip off now so I've stopped playing.

In the UK you get only £15 for five numbers. You get three times as much for matching four. Weird, isn't it?

https://www.national-lottery.co.uk/results/lotto/draw-history/prize-breakdown/2113

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

For me, it's a €25 a month on the Prize Bonds.

I've won loads of little prizes and can cash the outlay in if I want.

Win, win. Not like the fekin Lotto.

But I do have a Lotto flutter now and then when the prize is big, just for the thrill of seeing if I won or not.

Never have though.....yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

its the ones that remain anonymous that you got to wonder about - could be a few of them around and you wouldnt know it

Heard on the Gangland forum that the gangsters find out who won, and buy the ticket from the winners with a huge bonus to launder their ill gotten gains.

Yes, probably an urban/rural myth!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭RayCon

• Advertisement

Keplar240B wrote: »
    That dailymillions is a colossal fraud ,

why?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

why?

no live draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

There's more chance of Elvis riding Shergar down O'Connell Street singing 'Dixieland' and playing a banjo than there is of winning the lotto

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I remember hearing an expert who said that if you put your lotto money on the least fancied horses in an accumulator, you would still have a much greater chance of winning than on the lotto.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ally Dick wrote: »
    There's more chance of Elvis riding Shergar down O'Connell Street signing 'Dixieland' and playing a banjo than there is of winning the lotto
    I think there is a misunderstanding of statistics.

At the time Elvis Presley died in 1977, he had 150 impersonators in the US. Now, according to calculations I spotted in a Sunday newspaper colour supplement recently, there are 85,000. Intriguingly, that means one in every 3,400 Americans is an Elvis impersonator. More disturbingly, if Elvis impersonators continue multiplying at the same rate, they will account for a third of the world’s population by 2019.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

More chance of being mauled by a great white shark.

You won't get that with a quick pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Been doing €60 a week for the last 15 years a syndicate of 6 of us. The biggest win was about 300 punt may moons ago.

Ally Dick wrote: »
    There's more chance of Elvis riding Shergar down O'Connell Street signing 'Dixieland' and playing a banjo than there is of winning the lotto

I can imagine all the ones that have won it having a different view of that now - if your not in it you cant win it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

wush06 wrote: »
    Been doing €60 a week for the last 15 years a syndicate of 6 of us. The biggest win was about 300 punt may moons ago.

That is over 150k. You could have gotten yourselves a female horse and have it covered with greatest horse of all time.

I play the Irish lotto but not the Euromillions.

At least with the Irish lotto you know that some of the money you are spending is at least going to some good cause and you also have a chance at winning money, win/win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I play the Irish lotto but not the Euromillions.

At least with the Irish lotto you know that some of the money you are spending is at least going to some good cause and you also have a chance at winning money, win/win.

I am the opposite. Stopped doing the Irish lotto last year as I am sure its fixed.

You always get 2 or 3 numbers the same being drawn across the 3 draws. For example, two numbers, 14 and 34 were drawn twice on Sat. Look back at other draws and its the same.

Some mathematical egghead in the pub worked out that the chances of that happening every draw are greater than the odds of winning the jackpot!

Win something on the EuroMillions regularly. More than I ever got on the Irish lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

wush06 wrote: »
    That is over 150k. You could have gotten yourselves a female horse and have it covered with greatest horse of all time.

I think you need to check your sums there, Mr. Hillman. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

prinzeugen wrote: »
    I am the opposite. Stopped doing the Irish lotto last year as I am sure its fixed.

You always get 2 or 3 numbers the same being drawn across the 3 draws. For example, two numbers, 14 and 34 were drawn twice on Sat. Look back at other draws and its the same.

Some mathematical egghead in the pub worked out that the chances of that happening every draw are greater than the odds of winning the jackpot!

Win something on the EuroMillions regularly. More than I ever got on the Irish lottery.

Not quite, each draw is independent of each other. The chances of the draw being 1,2,3,4,5 for two weeks in a row have the same chance of 1,2,3,4,5 and 7,21,22,18,34 or 1,2,3,4,6 so while it looks like there's very little chance of it happening, it is as likely as any other option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Not quite, each draw is independent of each other. The chances of the draw being 1,2,3,4,5 for two weeks in a row have the same chance of 1,2,3,4,5 and 7,21,22,18,34 or 1,2,3,4,6 so while it looks like there's very little chance of it happening, it is as likely as any other option.

That maybe so but its almost every Wed and Sat...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭JackieBauer

Too dear, I don't play it anymore. Fiver a ticket? Forget it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Someone once said that if you picked 1,2,3,4,5,6 as your numbers, you would be sharing the jackpot with hundreds of others, if they ever came up !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Do you reckon its too expensive now these days to play Lotto at €4 minimum for play? - I personally think it is .

I think if they introduced a one line for €1 or €1.50 but with a maximum of a Million Euro Jackpot I would be inclined to do it regularly rather than the way it is now, thats why I personally hardly ever play it and certainly not every week like some people.

When I settled in Ireland in the 90's it was £1 irish punts to play, I know you got to factor inflation and larger prizes and everything but €4 is no longer attractive to me whereas before when it was £1 we either done the lotto once or twice a week.

Daily millions

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Daily millions

And now its TWICE a day. 2pm and 9pm. one euro, one line, one million...

utter sh!te... the higest prize won last night was 25 quid. It was won by 48 people who matched 4 numbers. TOTAL number of prizes last night was 682! You can be sure there were thousands of tickets/lines sold around the country.

Aside from the odd 3 quid i see when i check customer's tickets, there's feck all being won on the daily. There was a million won here the first or second draw when it was launched and since then barely anything. Its a joke of a game.

If you pick 3 from the 6 numbers drawn the current odds are 600/ 1.

What do you get for 3 on the lottery, scratch card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

If you pick 3 from the 6 numbers drawn the current odds are 600/ 1.

What do you get for 3 on the lottery, scratch card?

Dont think thats right though... if you think about it, youre only picking 3 in the bookies and you have to match 3. if you do a line on the lotto you have 6 numbers to match 3 from. That surely lowers the chances

I think you get between €9-12 (depending) now for 3. you get the €3 scratchcard if you have 2 and the bonus ever since they added in the new numbers.

Advertisement