Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Luas drivers justified?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The freedom to do just this is what people fought and died for 100 years ago!

Do you genuinely believe that working place people took up arms and fought and died so that corporate entities could sack workers without recourse to labour rights?

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

bubblypop wrote: »
    Clearly the union want transdev to lose the contract.
    Who do they want to take over? CIE I wonder?

Nice thinking. People think unions stick up for workers. Afaik they stick up for themselves first and formost. I always equate unions with ponzi schemes. Top will always rake it in even if company goes bust.

80s Child wrote: »
    Private sector workers can do what they want, it's not the state's money.

ah would ya feck off with that ****e, money is money, staff are staff. What difference does it make if you are paid directly from taxes or directly from customers? Either way you are being paid by the public except in the public sector theres no owner living in a mansion and featuring on the wealthiest person lists which he got to as a result of making massive profits from YOU

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

not turning up for work.

a strike isn't "not turning up for work"
    Indeed and with it only taking 5 weeks to train up new drivers the company can simply hire in buses to help cover while they wait on the first of the new batch of drivers and other staff.

5 weeks to train up an individual. multiply that by the amount of staff and we have i would suggest, months rather then weeks.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Mexcanelo wrote: »
    I think as it is they are already vastly overpaid for what they do. I mean how hard can it be to sit on your ass all day pressing a few controls. Anyone could do it.

Ah ha, so you only want them sacked so you can get the job, cunning. Cunning like a fox!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

esforum wrote: »
    Do you genuinely believe that working place people took up arms and fought and died so that corporate entities could sack workers without recourse to labour rights?

Really?

They have the right to work and they also have the right to withdraw their labour at which time their employer has the right to fill the vacancy created!

They have the right to work and they also have the right to withdraw their labour at which time their employer has the right to fill the vacancy created!

answer the question

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Zaph wrote: »
    The Luas is not a government agency. It's run by a private company, Transdev, and the state has nothing at all to do with them.
    Stop being a dick and read posts

LUAS is private for the third time in this thread!

ok ill go and stop being a dick.

a strike isn't "not turning up for work"

5 weeks to train up an individual. multiply that by the amount of staff and we have i would suggest, months rather then weeks.

The employer is entitled to dismiss workers who go on strike.

It takes 5 weeks to train a class of maybe 20 staff under normal circumstances but I would imagine they could restaff in less than 8 weeks if pushed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Mexcanelo

Ah ha, so you only want them sacked so you can get the job, cunning. Cunning like a fox!;)

No I don't think they should be sacked. I didn't say that. I think I'd a very simple task that they shouldn't get much more than minimum wage to do.

I do more work playing FIFA 16 than these guys do for a living.

• Advertisement

answer the question

What does the constitution say about striking workers and a persons right to dismiss an employee who does not want to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

It boggles my mind how when people make the 'Junior Doctor V Luas Driver' comparison, that people somehow think that a junior doctor should early less than a Luas driver because they'll eventually make more.

A junior doctor will work their arse off in school, get a 590/600 point leaving, go to college for five years and then work their arse off for the next decade + trying to make consultant. A Luas driver needs no other qualification that a 7 week course and has a responsible but unskilled job.

A junior doctor, or any skilled person, deserves more than a Luas driver. There's a limited pool of people with the ability to be a doctor, this just isn't the case to be a tram driver and hence they shouldnt be paid similarly.

Likewise the argument that the CEO of transdev earns more than a tram driver... of course he does. He has more responsibilities, more training, a more technical job.

If tram drivers don't feel they are getting the pay they deserve, I support their right to strike, but they're taking the piss entirely.

It takes 5 weeks to train a class of maybe 20 staff under normal circumstances but I would imagine they could restaff in less than 8 weeks if pushed.

so they could train all those staff in 8 weeks, a bit more then it takes to train an individual or a few individuals, dispite their being quite a lot of staff? i certainly wouldn't be using the luas if that happened. i expect the training to take the proper length it takes to insure it is done properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

No,no, no absolutely not. Strikes like this are leading to a general increase in cost of living for many and lowering of living standard's.

Shame on the luas drivers. Easily dispensible I say!

FalconGirl wrote: »
    No,no, no absolutely not. Strikes like this are leading to a general increase in cost of living for many and lowering of living standard's.

Easily dispensible I say!

both these points would be concluded based on what?

I think gardai should be paid 250,000 Euro s year.
    Should they go on strike ,& hold the country to random because they think that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

based on what for both points?

Based on the cost of increased wages transferred onto Joe Public. It's a disgrace tbh EODR. I followed your line on water charges but cannot support this bullsh*t.

Also driving a tram.... get real! No skill required.

so they could train all those staff in 8 weeks, a bit more then it takes to train an individual or a few individuals, dispite their being quite a lot of staff? i certainly wouldn't be using the luas if that happened. i expect the training to take the proper length it takes to insure it is done properly.

From what I have heard about the training it could easily be done in two weeks, 10 x 8 hour days, it is a bit of learning and lots of instruction and once you have the capacity to take the information in and hold onto it you will sail through the tests, the tests are basically competence tests to ensure th person is fit intellectually as well as has enough basic common sense to drive a tram.

FalconGirl wrote: »
    Based on the cost of increased wages transferred onto Joe Public.

but how would it be passed on to us seeing as transdev pay the wages and they get a fixed fee that won't change no matter what? it would be up to them to find the money and as far as i know they don't get a say in fare increases.
    From what I have heard about the training it could easily be done in two weeks, 10 x 8 hour days, it is a bit of learning and lots of instruction and once you have the capacity to take the information in and hold onto it you will sail through the tests, the tests are basically competence tests to ensure th person is fit intellectually as well as has enough basic common sense to drive a tram.

yet it takes 7 or more, so i would suggest it can't easily be done in 2 weeks. if training for whatever takes a fixed time then it needs to take that fixed time to make sure it is done to the letter

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are the Luas drivers justified

There Justified and Ancient, Ancient and a-justified, Rocking to the rhythm in their ice cream van!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

We hardly need another re-hash of this same topic..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement