Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Luas drivers justified?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

And if they get their way and bankrupt Transdev? what then?

Mightn't be a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Canadel wrote: »
    Good for him. And he needs those guys who drive the trams to make that business viable. And here we are.

Sack them all and bring in outside staff while they train new irish staff .
    Let them demand an 18% pay rise on the dole

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No their strike action is unjustified. I have zero sympathy for them. They were offered a good offer and if they do not want it then they can f=ck of. They should be happy they have a job and if they have a mortgage they can not pay then they should not have bought that house also don,t have children if you are not going to be able to afford to raise them.
    The Luas drivers and everyone else in that company who is planning too strike this Easter Sunday and Monday should be ashamed of themselves.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Steve wrote: »
    And if they get their way and bankrupt Transdev? what then?
    I imagine a new company will take over operations of the Luas, and the world, along with the trams, will keep on moving.
    Gatling wrote: »
    I'm sure Transdev would be glad to receive your submission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I do like the way they didn't just ditch the new lads in the **** and want them on the same wage. Fair play on that, alot of professions are low paid now as the deals unions got part of it was new comers get less/took they hit to even the books.

Anyway, they must be smoking something, the deal was good/great and too reject it. They must be thinking they'll get more, I can see them all getting sacked or the company going under, maybe both. If they do get the massive rise they want, it can't be financially supported without fare increases and big ones at that. People just won't use it if it's expensive, which will result in shrinking back on services/job losses. Or the company will just claw back on any type of investment in the workforce to gain some money back and work the arse off the drivers.

But the thing I don't get it the wage is excellent and they are breaking something that doesn't need fixing. It's a good wage and certainly not low paid by any stretch of the imagination. I was surprised when I heard 30/35k mentioned, then I heard that was starting out pay, my jaw dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I imagine a new company will take over operations of the Luas, and the world, along with the trams, will keep on moving.

That would be my hope.

That would be my hope.
    It might give you the opportunity to apply for your dream job as a Luas driver.

It might give you the opportunity to apply for your dream job as a Luas driver.

Why do you think that would be my dream job???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

What's the figures that they are on about ? Seems an outlandish claim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

AMKC wrote: »
    No their strike action is unjustified. I have zero sympathy for them. They were offered a good offer and if they do not want it then they can f=ck of. They should be happy they have a job and if they have a mortgage they can not pay then they should not have bought that house also don,t have children if you are not going to be able to afford to raise them.
    The Luas drivers and everyone else in that company who is planning too strike this Easter Sunday and Monday should be ashamed of themselves.

Nailed on.

Doubtless they see themselves as embodying the spirit of the Rising. A small band of warriors, with little chance of achieving their ambitious aims, take on their overlords in the face of unpopular public opinion and succeed in inconveniencing the entire city. They are some of them probably hoping for a blood sacrifice and to become martyrs. Yes a sacking or two might give them their potential cause celebre.

The greedy bastards. I object to their right to protest in this way as they seem totally delusional.

• Advertisement

Clearly the union want transdev to lose the contract.
    Who do they want to take over? CIE I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'm sure Transdev would be glad to receive your submission.

I'll send them a cv too .

I'm sure some where in their 83,000 employees are a good few experienced tram drivers

Why do you think that would be my dream job???
    I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Yes they are, I support them.

Most of the Luas drivers I have seen are all mid-30s and older. The wage they are looking for is appropriate for their age, when you consider the costs of an average priced house in Dublin and kids.

Secondly, there should be an adjustment from the idea that salaries should be based on skills, at least in certain sectors, and that it should encompass work experience and stage of life.

Same for train and bus drivers. All public servants should be paid well and it should increase according to time served.

All I can say as a fellow public sector worker who could not even contemplate an 18% pay rise is that your entire post is nonsensical and smacks of self entitlement. I suspect though it's a troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

veetwin wrote: »
    All I can say as a fellow public sector worker who could not even contemplate an 18% pay rise is that your entire post is nonsensical and smacks of self entitlement. I suspect though it's a troll.

LUAS is NOT public sector. It is run by a private commercial company emplying private staff. I wouldnt look to hard at their wages, nost wouldnt be able to afford a BMW

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

Sack them all. Leave the Luas down for about ten weeks while new people are trained . Regan did it with the air traffic controllers back in the day. Bring in the army if nessery. As a former shop steward myself I can where a few asseretave people can inflatuncee the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Stheno wrote: »
    Qualified airline pilots on less than 42K? Seriously?
    The maximum salary for a Luas driver is €42,500 for a 39-hour week. If the pilot flew the 39 hour week, he'd probably make better, but as AFAIK, they only get paid whilst flying, this figure drops for the short hops?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

esforum wrote: »
    LUAS is NOT public sector. It is run by a private commercial company emplying private staff. I wouldnt look to hard at their wages, nost wouldnt be able to afford a BMW

Thought it was and I was going to give out to be honest.

Private sector workers can do what they want, it's not the state's money.

If I was in charge though, they'd all be gone. They're on excellent wages for people who have to do very little to become qualified in their position! Again, that comes back to them being a private sector entity: not happy with your wages, go and find a job that pays you more! You want to go on strike?? Good luck with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TheRealPONeill

[QUOTE= ...Gardai are on half what the luas staff are on and have to do months of training and much more learning laws and rules etc....[/QUOTE]

So a Luas driver retires at 55 with a pension ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

If I'm not mistaken the management wanted new drivers to start on a lower pay scale and the union

wouldn't wear it and my compliments to them! Look at the qualified nurses only a few weeks ago who

were earning LESS than minimum wage! That wasn't right but their union didn't fight for them?

This country has been in the austerity enforcement policy for too long!

Lets see our newly elected representatives go in to Government on a Tuas Scheme or Job Bridge Scheme.

Can you imagine the reaction to that suggestion!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 wheresmyphone

Greedy blackmailing tram drivers and aggressive unions - sack them all, restrict the unions and train up replacements - let's keep things equitable and share the recovery

Greedy blackmailing tram drivers and aggressive unions - sack them all, restrict the unions and train up replacements - let's keep things equitable and share the recovery

you wont be sharing jack **** if you restrict unions and industrial action

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

yer man! wrote: »
    Also need to consider the starting salary of a doctor in Ireland, €30k, they work far more than anyone employed with Transdev, they literally have people's lives in their hands, they work unsociable hours, spend 5 years of their lives training and then to have a Luas driver earn far more than them is an absolute insult.

how is it an insult. some jobs will earn more then others even though they have less training or aspects to them.
    by the way we all ready have a thread on the luas strike, do we really need another one repeating everything that has been said over and over again?
    Gatling wrote: »

for what, on what grounds. where are they going to get the outside staff from without disrupting services elsewhere? do you think other countries are going to allow transdev to disrupt services by taking staff away to help the irish operation? i should think not and rightly so.
    darlett wrote: »
    The greedy bastards.

no such thing.
    darlett wrote: »
    I object to their right to protest

ireland mightn't be the place for you. i hear china is nice.
    80s Child wrote: »
    If I was in charge though, they'd all be gone.

why? because you are against workers rights? because you don't want anyone improving their conditions? this is 2016 not the 1800s, people are entitled to improve their lot whether one agrees with them or not.
    80s Child wrote: »
    They're on excellent wages for people who have to do very little to become qualified in their position! Again, that comes back to them being a private sector entity: not happy with your wages, go and find a job that pays you more! You want to go on strike?? Good luck with that!

or, they can negotiate a better deal. why should they find another job when they can make the job they have better? because you can't earn the same? the fact that others earn less with more qualifications is just how it is

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

lanomist wrote: »
    Sack them all.

for what and on what grounds.
    Leave the Luas down for about ten weeks while new people are trained .

10 weeks? any proof it would only take 10 weeks? what if it took 10 months?
    Regan did it with the air traffic controllers back in the day.

what has that got to do with anything considering the air traffic controllers weren't allowed to strike where as luas staff (rightly) are.
    Bring in the army if nessery.

the army have better things to do then driving a tram.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

TheDoc wrote: »
    Nice to see the public service way of thinking alive and kicking!

if it was me that was running the luas, id fire the whole lot and hire somebody that appreciates the job.

what gov agency is next in line for strike action? Have uni lecturers had their day in the sun,
    what about street sweepers sure they haven't striked in a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Mexcanelo

I think as it is they are already vastly overpaid for what they do. I mean how hard can it be to sit on your ass all day pressing a few controls. Anyone could do it.

Greedy blackmailing tram drivers and aggressive unions

no such thing.
    sack them all, restrict the unions

for what, on what grounds. sacking "ja larra jem rabel rabel" and restricting unions from enforcing workers rights would be against workers rights. any attempt to restrict unions should be circumvented.
    train up replacements - let's keep things equitable and share the recovery

for what exactly. they have staff, they can negotiate and sort out the problems.
    Mexcanelo wrote: »
    I think as it is they are already vastly overpaid for what they do. I mean how hard can it be to sit on your ass all day pressing a few controls. Anyone could do it.

and considering you haven't driven a tram, how would you know anyone could do it?
    also, how would you know they are over paid and what do you base that on?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

kupus wrote: »
    if it was me that was running the luas, id fire the whole lot and hire somebody that appreciates the job.

what gov agency is next in line for strike action? Have uni lecturers had their day in the sun,

The Luas is not a government agency. It's run by a private company, Transdev, and the state has nothing at all to do with them.

kupus wrote: »

Stop being a dick and read posts

LUAS is private for the third time in this thread!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

for what and on what grounds.
    not turning up for work.

10 weeks? any proof it would only take 10 weeks? what if it took 10 months?
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/transport-firms-point-to-intense-safety-training-26566988.html
    Over five weeks they undergo written examinations, practical training and assessment by qualified assessors.

what has that got to do with anything considering the air traffic controllers weren't allowed to strike where as luas staff (rightly) are.
    Maybe Luas staff would like the same salaries as pilots next?

I suggest they look to working on a stud farm or racing stables because they have necks like a jockey's bollix
    the army have better things to do then driving a tram.
    Indeed and with it only taking 5 weeks to train up new drivers the company can simply hire in buses to help cover while they wait on the first of the new batch of drivers and other staff.

The freedom to do just this is what people fought and died for 100 years ago!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement