Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminator: Dark Fate **Spoilers from post 983**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

pixelburp wrote: »
    I swear to god, when I see this film, if these "symbolic" tampons aren't centre frame while the camera holds of them for seconds, this entire strand of discussion is going to come across even more bizarre than it already is. Weird how some folk just go a bit nuts at the mere sight of sanitary products.

You see that's the problem, I don't go nuts at the sight of them. Nobody does. But the filmmakers are trying to say that people are offended by the sight of them and they think they are making a wickedly original, feminist statement. Tampons, big deal. It's part of life.
    My issue is that its so uninspired, unoriginal, and downright naff that it's cringe inducing. It's like that episode of The Simpsons where Lisa tries to join the football team and asks the coach if he has a problem with a girl wanting to join, then the coach (Flanders?) tells her there is no problem and that they've already got girls on the team. And then Lisa runs off crying.

My point is that it's simply bad filmmaking with an outdated sense of "sticking it to the man."
    I'll tell you how outdated this movie is with its ideas, at the start they have characters in dismay that machines are taking their jobs, in yet another heavy handed piece of symbolism. Machines taking our jobs is an issue for characters in a film in 2019? What is this, the 1970s?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

pixelburp wrote: »
    I swear to god, when I see this film, if these "symbolic" tampons aren't centre frame while the camera holds of them for seconds, this entire strand of discussion is going to come across even more bizarre than it already is. Weird how some folk just go a bit nuts at the mere sight of sanitary products.

It's going to be the second one, I promise. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

sirmanga wrote: »
    I'll tell you how outdated this movie is with its ideas, at the start they have characters in dismay that machines are taking their jobs, in yet another heavy handed piece of symbolism. Machines taking our jobs is an issue for characters in a film in 2019? What is this, the 1970s?

As if women need jobs anyway! She doesn't even have a boyfriend ffs!! amIright?!?

Goodshape wrote: »
    As if women need jobs anyway! She doesn't even have a boyfriend ffs!! amIright?!?

Erm, well I'm actually talking about the part when Dani's brother was told the machine was doing his job. You know, a man. So your sarcasm doesn't work, sadly.

Erm, well I'm actually talking about the part when Dani's brother was told the machine was doing his job. You know, a man.

FINALLY! A decent set of testicles in this picture. Proper order.

You're right – he should keep his job.

• Advertisement

Goodshape wrote: »

Here, hang on, you're telling me she didn't at least mention having been in love with a man at some point during the 36 hour window she ran for her life from a shapeshifting murderbot from the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭RoryMac

pc7 wrote: »
    I loved it, turn the brain off, enjoy the ride, great nostalgia and cheese, can't understand all the hate.

I went not expecting much just a half decent action movie and hated it after the opening 30 mins. Beginning to think I watched the wrong movie when I see people praising it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

El Duda wrote: »
    The discussion on this last page is enough to make me cancel my plans to see it tomorrow night.
    Don't watch this movie El Duda. Just buy a box of tampons and watch that instead. I'm looking at a box of tampons right now and it's like seeing the movie all over again.

Leaving aside the fact that the script and the acting might be shoite (i haven't seen it), for those who have see it, is it just a good action movie on its own?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Leaving aside the fact that the script and the acting might be shoite (i haven't seen it), for those who have see it, is it just a good action movie on its own?

Being a massive T1, T2 fan, and putting those aside for a moment, yes, I enjoyed it. More so then the other big movie that's out at the moment. I don't understand why some people on here or so hyper critical about it. I mean, look at some of the other action hit movies, with next to no plot which can be summed up in one sentence.

Die Hard - a guy stuck in a building overrun by terrorists at christmas
    Predator - a team of soldiers being picked off by an alien in a forest
    Aliens - a team of soldiers being picked off by aliens in a deserted base
    T1 - two people being chased by a killer robot
    T2 - a few people and a robot being chased by another killer robot

It's all the same. Just switch off and enjoy it, and don't bother with all this tampon talk. I didn't notice them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Guy Person wrote: »
    Don't watch this movie El Duda. Just buy a box of tampons and watch that instead. I'm looking at a box of tampons right now and it's like seeing the movie all over again.

You must be going through a bad period at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Bleedin awful, the visual overload/clutter in the action sequences were just another Transformers clone of machines flying through the air, only often dodgier C.G in this. The villian is about as menacing as Barney The Dinosaur and all bar one of the films gags go down like lead balloons. Cant blame the director and writers for the derivative plot, the saga ran out of places to go a long time ago.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Yeah I think so, but if you liked the originals there are good nods to them. I didn’t even notice the tampons!

Action wise the first 40 mins or so is quality, really great. It doesn't hit those highs again though, but I thought the border patrol stuff was very effective. There are some fairly ropey underwater sequences, but the last confrontation is good and makes a good gimmick of the venue, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

Anyone have a rough time stamp for the tampons?

I'm not bothered about the rest of the film but i'm going tonight just to see the Tampon scene. The Guardian have recruited me to write a double page spread about menstrual cycle representation in sci-fi films.

I'm not bothered about the rest of the film but i'm going tonight just to see the Tampon scene. The Guardian have recruited me to write a double page spread about menstrual cycle representation in sci-fi films.

I mean I'm sure they're so well lit and in focus you'd be foolish to miss them.

Actual movie screenshot.

494055.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,019 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd heard some screenings are going to be in full "TD", where periodically some of the cinema staff will throw tampons in the audience. Damn feminism, being thrown in our faces like that!

Too much? :D :pac:

Ha ha! Brilliant photoshop ^

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,959 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why are people talking about Tampons?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Why are people talking about Tampons?

Some GUY with a phobia of women cited product placement tampons as the films main flaw.

Some weirdo with a phobia of women cited product placement tampons as the films main flaw.

Mods. Name calling... Please sort it out. This is supposed to be an open discussion on the film.

And I didn't point out the scene with the tampons in frame as the main flaw. I gave it as an example of how badly made this film is. It's incredibly heavy handed. As for a phobia of women? As you will see from my other posts on this film, the fact that I love good female action heroes is why I hate this film's cringey, condescending "feminism". It's anti-feminist. Sarah Connor in T1 and T2 is a feminist icon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Linda Hamilton was on Jimmy Kimmel last night and said she saw it for the first time with friends and family yesterday. When asked how was it, she said:

"it was...ok!".

Sorry dude. I was only teasing.

You must admit that it was your Tampon comment that caused this thread to descend into a bit of a farce though. It does show that you're very observant at least. :D

I know how affecting negative comments can be. Again, i'd like to apologise for my post.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,019 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And I didn't point out the scene with the tampons in frame as the main flaw. I gave it as an example of how badly made this film is. It's incredibly heavy handed. As for a phobia of women? As you will see from my other posts on this film, the fact that I love good female action heroes is why I hate this film's cringey, condescending "feminism". It's anti-feminist. Sarah Connor in T1 and T2 is a feminist icon.

All explained very astutely, but doesn't escape from the surreality of tampons suddenly being a serious focus of discussion in a mainstream hollywood blockbuster. 'Cos it's literally a first :D:)

If literally none of the women here are coming away from your posts thinking "Wow, this guy sure is feminist", could it be time to reassess, dyou think?

Which thing do you think might have set off the proximity alarms do you reckon? The incidental background tampon fixation? The "She even steals mens clothes"? The bafflement that none of the characters "even mention being in love with a man!"?

Do you think maybe opening by pretending your beef with it were the plot points inherited from T2 - until you realised they were from T2 and then reversed course - *might* have given the game away a little bit, and maybe that's why you're not being taken very seriously?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,959 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I didn't notice any tampons.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Sorry dude. I was only teasing.

You must admit that it was your Tampon comment that caused this thread to descend into a bit of a farce though. It does show that you're very observant at least. :D

I know how affecting negative comments can be. Again, i'd like to apologise for my post.

Every film should be studied for what it is, the visual medium. Every single shot has been storyboarded and thought out. Every set is dressed with the director's input or approval. Things that may look "incidental" were given weeks and months of thought. I am simply trying to look at this film from that perspective and figure out what they were going for. And from what I think they are going for, I don't like. I don't think it works. If that makes me a weirdo or scared of women then I dunno.

I guess I could just turn off my brain and not pay attention to what I'm seeing, but that's what radio plays are for.

• Advertisement

I didn't notice any tampons.

Crazy. To think, that entire scene was clearly an excuse to display them, apparently, and yet they somehow passed you by like they were just filling a shelf in a chemist in a scene with a bunch of other stuff entirely happening.

Advertisement