Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a cafe racer?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'll try to keep you updated on progress. Did a little more last night. I think I fixed the throttle problem. Sanded the bar down and now it goes on ok. Still missing a piece to hold the cable but at least it goes on. Tidied up a lot of cabling and took away some others that weren't needed, also some drainage hoses which will have to go back. Figured out where I am going to run the cabling for the rear brake and indicators, and then mapped out the battery cables which I'll do next week.

Took off the rearsets - giant big horrible yokes - must weigh a ton. I'm thinking about not having a rear brake at all. I rarely use mine and it would make the bike look cleaner. Unfortunately the only rearsets you can get cost a fortune: http://www.bskspeedworks.co.uk/k-rearsets.html - but pretty much any nice K100 cafe racer i have seen has them.

When I took off the exhaust manifolds a while ago 3 of the nuts were stuck in, Tried to get them out last night but one of them sheared off. So that's another problem to fix. Anyone have any tips on getting them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

You can get a stud extractor kit pretty cheap in halfords, that should do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm thinking about not having a rear brake at all. I rarely use mine and it would make the bike look cleaner.

Legal requirement though and you can guarantee any insurer would go ape if they find out in the event of a claim that a brake is missing!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Legal requirement though and you can guarantee any insurer would go ape if they find out in the event of a claim that a brake is missing!

Was thinking of the same for my build but decided against it,nothing to do with legal stuff but on a classic you really need every brake you can get...:P

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah fair enough - will leave it there. I think I just have to go for the expensive rearsets now anyway. They cost almost as much as I paid for the bike in the first place!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I wouldn't leave home without a good back brake.
    I would have got T-boned one day without it.

Yeah fair enough - will leave it there. I think I just have to go for the expensive rearsets now anyway. They cost almost as much as I paid for the bike in the first place!!

I'd be looking at cheapo ones that could be adapted...then, thats me...cheapo..:o

I'll definitely look into it. From what I understand you can get some universal rearsets like these and then get someone to fabricate a bracket so they fit. Just not sure if in the long run it will be loads of hassle and not that much cheaper but I'll see. Where do I even look to find someone to do this type of thing for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

How do people do slow control without a rear brake ?

It's a necessity for superb slow control I'm sure you've seen the concept on those YouTube videos where the police bikes are doing tiny circles around cones. You can't get that level of control without a rear brake.

listermint wrote: »

It's a necessity for superb slow control I'm sure you've seen the concept on those YouTube videos where the police bikes are doing tiny circles around cones. You can't get that level of control without a rear brake.

Not sure he intends going through cones slowly...maybe a spin out to Bray for a 99 though....:p

• Advertisement

How much did the k100 cost if you dont mind me asking?

I got it for peanuts as it was not running, and was a second bike on a different ad. Paid €450. Anything running in decent shape is going for about €1500

I got it for peanuts as it was not running, and was a second bike on a different ad. Paid €450. Anything running in decent shape is going for about €1500

Thats a great price.

€1500 isn't too bad I've been drooling over pics of them lol

I definitely want to build a cafe racer as my 2nd bike hopefully in 2018

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

.....police bikes are doing tiny circles around cones. ....

omg omg my poor little heart ..... teh dream.... doing tiny circles around cones on a cb750p with excessive amount of buttons on the bar switches :P

The rear brakes are handy though :

GqOcOnb.jpg

gctest50 wrote: »
    omg omg my poor little heart ..... teh dream.... doing tiny circles around cones on a cb750p with excessive amount of buttons on the bar switches :P

The rear brakes are handy though :

GqOcOnb.jpg

Is he robbing that......:eek::D

Imagine stamping on the wrong lever on that thing...grunch...:eek:

Yeah...interested..

It's not - don't ask - long story. However watch this space will be movement soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jackdaw89

It's not - don't ask - long story. However watch this space will be movement soon.

I’d be very interested to follow a build/restoration thread. It’s been on my todo list but I don’t no if it’ll be a restoration or even what bike I’ll tackle yet.

Advertisement