Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a cafe racer?

Options
  • 22-03-2016 11:50am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine is doing this and I have to say I'm very tempted to do the same. He's looking at something like a BMW K100, or R80 etc. Drop the bars, change the lights, the seat, and make it shiney. They can look pretty cool.

He's fairly handy with a spanner but I'm not really - however it might be a good opportunity to learn if we both do it at the same time. You can buy a lot of the parts on ebay without having to custom build them like I know a lot of guys do.

Has anyone done or thought about doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I'd love to. One thing I found is there is little details online about people who do this. If you do, keep a video diary, I'd love to follow one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Me too, more so these days, be nice to 'do up' an older bike.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

infacteh wrote: »
    I'd love to. One thing I found is there is little details online about people who do this. If you do, keep a video diary, I'd love to follow one!

There are a couple of videos on youtube but they don't show much in terms of instruction. I'd be dependant on my mate being pretty handy and maybe getting some of the more difficult work done properly. I would not be doing a proper custom job just a few basic tweaks - but it might be interesting to be able to tinker and learn stuff, especially when you don't need to use the bike day to day. Stripping it, cleaning, bit of painting and put it back together. Then replacing some stuff like the seat, lights bars etc. There are a few k100's around for not huge money - you'd just have to hope it would not turn into a money pit with all the mods!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Just dove in head first and bought a BMW K100 :D Will get it next week and then start work on it.

Aiming for something similar to this: http://www.bikeexif.com/bmw-k100-cafe-racer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Best of luck, that's a sweet bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,708 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That looks,

The ****.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,708 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Didnt think the K100 could actually scrub up well

but hey it does

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bmw-k100-cafe-racer-/182058041818?hash=item2a638141da:g:Zq4AAOSwyjBW7aZ4

Yeah I think they can look badass if done properly. Few more examples here. Will get it next week then have to service it and get it running, going to ride it as is for a while to make sure it's reliable - then start stripping it - and then go shopping for parts! I'll make sure to take photos and document it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭blade1

They look great and good luck with the new project!

Here's some more for inspiration

8A3FA405-42E3-4F21-9CB7-D483083B6906_zpshhn0jxsm.png

B0B5D6F0-C006-48AC-AB7D-BD9CEF597BBA_zpsgbxla8y9.png

DAEA93FE-72B8-44CD-A5E8-3CDD5DADE38E_zps0c5hijog.png

59D1247E-C098-4D7F-9DE2-7600C2993BD1_zps06batjop.png

She's arrived, and the teardown has started!

pn5bMW3.jpg?1
    evcV9u6.jpg?2

Getting battery and a service kit tomorrow, see if we can get her started!

Does anyone know where I can get a custom exhaust made? I want to expose the single sided swingarm - so I want to reroute the exhaust to the other side and have a small stubby. I want it loud but not deafening - but a nice grumble. Where can I get this done does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Are you doing it in the underground carpark Zascar? Brave man not the best place to do a project like that....... But very best of luck I would love to do something similar some day.

Unfortunately yes. Not ideal but we both live in apartments. I bloody wish I had a garage or shed it would be a dream. Most will be ok but some bits may be tricky. I'm not doing it all myself I will have help so I'll bring it to places to get the more complicated bit done.

Just do it Wonda. Only a few weeks ago I was dreaming and now I'm up to my ears in it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Zascar wrote: »
    She's arrived, and the teardown has started!

Y4dJjB7.jpg
    evcV9u6.jpg?2

Getting battery and a service kit tomorrow, see if we can get her started!

Does anyone know where I can get a custom exhaust made? I want to expose the single sided swingarm - so I want to reroute the exhaust to the other side and have a small stubby. I want it loud but not deafening - but a nice grumble. Where can I get this done does anyone know?

Just my tuppence worth but I prefer a twin pipe setup on a caff...you could buy the bends etc and diy. .it can be very pricey to get it done..

Not mad on the twin pipes, I want to show off the single sided swing arm. I could aim for something like this - or maybe a stubby exhaust.
    bmw-k100-cafe-racer-4.jpg
    Just how pricey are they and where can I get quotes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

go for a japaneese bazooka style straigh pipe exhaust, to infinity and beyond !!

Not mad on the twin pipes, I want to show off the single sided swing arm. I could aim for something like this - or maybe a stubby exhaust.
    bmw-k100-cafe-racer-4.jpg
    Just how pricey are they and where can I get quotes?

Sorry, not familiar with the bike,...I see the pipes come out on the left....guy in dunlaoire (Dave) beside J&S makes up car pipes...might be easier if he can use the old headers...problem is he'd need the bike in the shop..
    Looks like you'd deffo have to ditch the centre stand..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

A friend of mine is doing this and I have to say I'm very tempted to do the same. He's looking at something like a BMW K100, or R80 etc. Drop the bars, change the lights, the seat, and make it shiney. They can look pretty cool.

He's fairly handy with a spanner but I'm not really - however it might be a good opportunity to learn if we both do it at the same time. You can buy a lot of the parts on ebay without having to custom build them like I know a lot of guys do.

Has anyone done or thought about doing this?
    i'm gonna build a r80 cafe racer before i die
    but after my e24 race car (40% finished) and
    my gsxr 7-11m streetfighter (60% finished)

Sorry, not familiar with the bike,...I see the pipes come out on the left....guy in dunlaoire (Dave) beside J&S makes up car pipes...might be easier if he can use the old headers...problem is he'd need the bike in the shop..
    Looks like you'd deffo have to ditch the centre stand..

Thanks Max I'll give him a shout. Good point I had not thought about the stand...

Does anyone else know who makes exhausts? I heard about http://www.souhan.ie - but I'm guessing they'll be expensive. I sent them an email but no reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

yer man Gizmo (Jay) from irishbiker / biker.ie is well regarded I believe

should be able to give you a steer at least

Ok thanks found him on biker.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Goose81

Just to resurrect this, how are you getting on with it?

Ive decided to buy one aswell, the old man keeps going on about them so decided we can do it together as a project.

I agree on the exhaust, Im wondering would it be cheaper to buy a welder and give it a bash myself, did you get someone to do the pipe?
    I can paint it and do most of the stuff so shouldn't cost too much. (hopefully)

Im looking at this, is there a specific model I should look for?
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagebikes-for-sale/bmw-k100-for-sale/11682777

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Honda CX 500 is a great foundation to start with...

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagebikes-for-sale/honda-cx-500/12016009

honda-cx500-sacha-lakic-design-2014-db-01-1280x800c.jpg

So due to a series of unfortunately family events with both myself and my mate we have not touched it in many weeks, but going to get back on it this week. Still have not started it so thats the main objective. Also I have not fully decided on various parts, need to get on the phone a bit this week.

Goose that looks perfect. Looks in amazing nick which is great. I paid less than 1/3 of that but that's why mine is not running yet, however I'm enjoying the process of learning how to get it working. Let me know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Honda CX 500 is a great foundation to start with...

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagebikes-for-sale/honda-cx-500/12016009
    [/IMG]

more tracker then cafe racer imo..!

Wossack wrote: »
    more tracker then cafe racer imo..!

Nah....clipons=Cafe racer......tyres make it look tracker

Nah....clipons=Cafe racer......tyres make it look tracker
    Dunlop Mutants!
    Have a set myself!

And is that not a CX650????

blade1 wrote: »
    Dunlop Mutants!
    Have a set myself!

And is that not a CX650????

Deffo a 500......;)
    650 has 650 on the Honda badge...

Deffo a 500......;)
    650 has 650 on the Honda badge...

Ah right!
    The rocker covers threw me.
    I'm after realising what the engine is out of now.
    I'm fairly sure (this time:pac:)its the cx500 turbo.;)

blade1 wrote: »
    Ah right!
    The rocker covers threw me.
    I'm after realising what the engine is out of now.
    I'm fairly sure (this time:pac:)its the cx500 turbo.;)

Doesn't look turbo'd.....

• Advertisement

Advertisement