Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a cafe racer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

Zascar wrote: »

That's sold a long time ago unfortunately. i enquired about it last year.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ad literally went on Yesterday as I got a notification. Looks like they have it back as they re advertised.
    Not cheap at 6.5k and it says it was reduced. What was it selling for last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

Ad literally went on Yesterday as I got a notification. Looks like they have it back as they re advertised.
    Not cheap at 6.5k and it says it was reduced. What was it selling for last year?

That's interesting, they must have got it back in again from whoever they sold it to... The main photo is the same as last year, but the black background ones are new.

I can't remember exactly what they were looking for it last year, but I think it was around 8k. It was out of my budget anyway. But they did sort me out with a very nice R1100GS instead :)

Standard spec GS, but nice bike to customise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Doesn't look turbo'd.....

Yep, turbo is not on it.

There's not too many cx parts on it.
    Engine+carbs and tank.
    Looks like thats about it.

There's a 1983 cx650 in my family with about 20 years.
    It was mine and i sold it to my brother who still has it.
    They dont make em like they used to.
    The engine still looks like new and all the nuts and bolts have no corrosion.

My brother also had 3 or 4 cx500's(he was a courier in london) and a few gl's.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

Nice R80 on donedeal:

A friend of mine will have a r40 up for sale in a few weeks if anyone is interested in buying it for a project :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

If it was a turbo at one stage carb's are hardly standard. Would turbo not have one larger carb :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Goose81 wrote: »

I agree on the exhaust, Im wondering would it be cheaper to buy a welder and give it a bash myself, did you get someone to do the pipe?
    I can paint it and do most of the stuff so shouldn't cost too much. (hopefully)

you just need a bit of clothes hanger, a gas torch ........ aaaand this talented bloke :

Kat1170 wrote: »
    If it was a turbo at one stage carb's are hardly standard. Would turbo not have one larger carb :confused::confused:

Fuel injection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

blade1 wrote: »
    Yep, turbo is not on it.

There's not too many cx parts on it.
    Engine+carbs and tank.
    Looks like thats about .

Frame and swingarm are cx'y..just mono shocked..forks are nice,not mad on the wavy discs though..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

There's a 1983 cx650 in my family with about 20 years [...]
    They dont make em like they used to.
    The engine still looks like new and all the nuts and bolts have no corrosion.
    You're telling me. Happened recently on the same old CX I once drove to France and back in 1986 (and it was 'old' then!). It's still running, and it's weathered the years a lot better than me!

On a side note — I've an old (1989) CB-1 400 that's running like a dream but needs a bit of tarting up, and one of the things I'm finding hard to source (around Limerick anyway) is replacement bolts/clips/nutcaps — everything from the wee hex-key 'button'-type side casing bolts to things like chromed Phillips-head nuts on the headlamp housing (originals are chewed and rusting badly). Does anyone know of a good "Nuts'n'bolts Emporium" online where you can root through stock and track down oddments by size/thread/materials, etc.? (I've had some luck with German/UK sellers on eBay, but searching is tricky).

Oh, and I'm gonna keep the CB-1 nice and naked, if not full-on café racer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

gctest50 wrote: »
    you just need a bit of clothes hanger, a gas torch ........ aaaand this talented bloke :

No wonder hand made costs so much : his gas bill must be enormous ! See yer man around 12 minutes taking off his coat ? ...exhaust guy had heated the whole room..

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

peckerhead wrote: »
    I've an old (1989) CB-1 400 that's running like a dream but needs a bit of tarting up, and one of the things I'm finding hard to source (around Limerick anyway) is replacement bolts/clips/nutcaps — everything from the wee hex-key 'button'-type side casing bolts to things like chromed Phillips-head nuts on the headlamp housing (originals are chewed and rusting badly). Does anyone know of a good "Nuts'n'bolts Emporium" online where you can root through stock and track down oddments by size/thread/materials, etc.? (I've had some luck with German/UK sellers on eBay, but searching is tricky).
    http://boltsandnuts.ie/

http://www.dublinboltandnut.com/

http://theboltcompany.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Merci, Monsieur. J'ai toujours cru à votre innocence. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

good luck with the build guys, must keep an eye out for the updates, have a look at Dave Degens website, it may give you additional inspiration he is the renowned UK café racer builder

good luck with the build guys, must keep an eye out for the updates, have a look at Dave Degens website, it may give you additional inspiration he is the renowned UK café racer builder

Seen some nice Irish built bikes too....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

very vaguely related nice things

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

A Rip of some of the cafe Racer R80 R100

http://www.diamond-atelier.com/mark-2-series-details/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thats lovely but mand money.

Cafe Racer Night - May 20th - Eden Pub Rathfarnham: https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagebikes-for-sale/cafe-racer-nite/12287226

Thats lovely but mand money.

Cafe Racer Night - May 20th - Eden Pub Rathfarnham: https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagebikes-for-sale/cafe-racer-nite/12287226

Probably p1ss rain..

Gort the K100 started last night - at last! Was a faulty fuel pump, got a new one in and got her started. She can take a while to start and sometimes cuts out when the revs are low but at least she runs. No shocker since she's been sitting up for 3 years so we'll have to sort that out in the next week or so. Meanwhile I just placed a big order for parts. New rear seat, bars, mirrors - few other small bits. Now I need to chop the end off for the new seat and get the battery and ecu mounted in the tail. I have found a good speedo, but still have to think about lights and indicators. I have an idea about the exhaust too but leaving that till last. Anyway now she she's running the fun part begins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭MarcoAntonio23

Virago's make a good baseline for a cafe racer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Gort the K100 started last night - at last! Was a faulty fuel pump, got a new one in and got her started. She can take a while to start and sometimes cuts out when the revs are low but at least she runs. No shocker since she's been sitting up for 3 years so we'll have to sort that out in the next week or so. Meanwhile I just placed a big order for parts. New rear seat, bars, mirrors - few other small bits. Now I need to chop the end off for the new seat and get the battery and ecu mounted in the tail. I have found a good speedo, but still have to think about lights and indicators. I have an idea about the exhaust too but leaving that till last. Anyway now she she's running the fun part begins!

Just a few ideas :)

Yeah they are cool and the standard cafe type, but I'm currently thinking something like this: http://cafe4racer.eu/en/bmw-k75-100-1100/130-bmw-k100-k1100-exhasut-and-collector-4to1-kit.html - however I want to expose the single sided swingarm so I'm going to reroute it out the other side and have it just sticking out slightly, very subtle.

Probably p1ss rain..

That's the spirit!!:pac:

That's the spirit!!:pac:

Do you not know..Organised bike events + Ireland= rain.....:P

Zascar..dont forget your building the bike for yourself...dont be put off or pressured into building something that looks like other bikes...thats why we build them..;)

Yeah true - I'm absolutely building the bike I want and I think looks best - but taking inspiration from other bikes. Parts will arrive next week and I can start fitting them. Need some chopping and welding done to fit the rear seat and hide the battery in the cowl. Just trying to arrange a welder now. Will post progress pix as I go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yeah true - I'm absolutely building the bike I want and I think looks best - but taking inspiration from other bikes. Parts will arrive next week and I can start fitting them. Need some chopping and welding done to fit the rear seat and hide the battery in the cowl. Just trying to arrange a welder now. Will post progress pix as I go

You havent bought a welder :P :pac: :cool:

Advertisement