Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car for 18 year old

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

seicento_ncap.jpg

35mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

VS

:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭keyboard_cat

Stheno wrote: »
    For sure you can, if you want to double or treble your car insurance premium.

So say 2k for a 1.0, perhaps four for a 1.4 if you are lucky?

Why do you need a car anyway?

i think it depends on the car and insurance company when i got my first car (1.4 polo) there was a difference of about only 50-100 euro for the 1.4L vs 1.0L so i went for the 1.4
    I recently upgraded to a 140bhp 2.0tdi passat 2005 (quite the jump from a 60hp polo) it raised my insurance from 1300 to 1700 however if i bought a 105bhp 1.9tdi passat 2005 my insurance would have gone up to 1800 :confused:

also keep in mind OP insurance prices are going up. my first insurance cost me 950 last year and it went up to 1300 this year even though i had an extra years no claims, more experience and my car was the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

amiasb wrote: »
    So i can bring it to tge track and drift competitions as well as it being a daily car

Make sure you say that when they ask you the bit about the type of insurance you require, 'social, domestic pleasure and a bit of track and drift' then come back and tell us what they said....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭dublinjen

Just back to the OP. When I learn to drive i went to my parents insurance company (wont mention names), they did a great deal

- €499 for six months lessons
    - during that six months free named driver on both my parents cars
    - after that insured as a full driver (still named) regardless of passing my test (i did)

- discount of 10% on future policy alone for doing the driving lessons at the start
    - stayed a named driver for another 6 months (one full year), they then do an offer of giving a three years no claims bonus for completing that year as a named driver

My insurance works out incredibly cheap for my age as a result of this €200 total for me and my mother (me a named driver), or around €700 for me alone.

Shop around, look for the deals specifically focused at new learner drivers, 2 years out that initial €499 I payed for lessons has paid itself a million times over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement