Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxymo

Options
124»

Comments

I'm a 30 year old on a learner permit.  Heard Boxymo would be a good option for insurance.  Did an online quote and it wouldn't quote me.  Requested a callback.  A guy called me and took lots of details, couldn't give me a quote either.  He also couldn't tell me the reason why :S  
    I asked if maybe it was because I am on a learner permit and he said no that wasn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

It was that van full of nuns you plowed into during EDT :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

I'm a 30 year old on a learner permit.  Heard Boxymo would be a good option for insurance.  Did an online quote and it wouldn't quote me.  Requested a callback.  A guy called me and took lots of details, couldn't give me a quote either.  He also couldn't tell me the reason why :S  
    I asked if maybe it was because I am on a learner permit and he said no that wasn't it.

I'm guessing your car is over 10 years old.

I just tried for a quote out of interest on my 04 Audi A4. 34yo male, 10 years no claims, 8 years full licence, looking for 10,000 km a year and they wouldn't quote. Their sister company offered a very competitive quote of €1,980 though :D

The car is only 7 years old. Its a 1 litre Opel Corsa. The weirdest thing is that the guy genuinely didn't seem to know why either and couldn't offer any lifeline. :D 
    I messed around for awhile entering different criteria just to try see what it might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 orkay

I am with them 10 months now without a problem.
    I have to assume people who don't like the idea of being tracked don't have mobile phones. It's that or they want to be able to break the speed limits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Adambutterly

i have been with boxy mo the last year and a half. the first year was fine then second year was grand for the renewal because it was like 800 euro. but then had to travel the country for work and keep running out of km and now for some reason i must be driving faster because i keep getting dangerous driving texts but im driving the same way i always have.

so now there telling me there cancelling my policy. so they can cancel it themselves and it will go down as cancelled and will effect my future insurance and if i want to cancel it myself before they do this it'll cost me 190 euro cancellation charge... which no one mentioned until today when i got them to ring me.
    There good for your first year of driving but this is my like 7th year of driving but had a claim two years ago so had to find something cheaper. but you run out of km very easy... and then the price of new km is awful. id advise anyone going with them to maybe just stick it for a year but after more then a year you get sick of constantly worrying about km and dangerous driving. sure if you brake hard because someone runs out in front of you they take it as dangerous driving its nonsense. i'll be steering well clear of them after today id rather pay the extra money and have unlimited km the way insurance should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 orkay

i have been with boxy mo the last year and a half. the first year was fine then second year was grand for the renewal because it was like 800 euro. but then had to travel the country for work and keep running out of km and now for some reason i must be driving faster because i keep getting dangerous driving texts but im driving the same way i always have.

so now there telling me there cancelling my policy. so they can cancel it themselves and it will go down as cancelled and will effect my future insurance and if i want to cancel it myself before they do this it'll cost me 190 euro cancellation charge... which no one mentioned until today when i got them to ring me.
    There good for your first year of driving but this is my like 7th year of driving but had a claim two years ago so had to find something cheaper. but you run out of km very easy... and then the price of new km is awful. id advise anyone going with them to maybe just stick it for a year but after more then a year you get sick of constantly worrying about km and dangerous driving. sure if you brake hard because someone runs out in front of you they take it as dangerous driving its nonsense. i'll be steering well clear of them after today id rather pay the extra money and have unlimited km the way insurance should be.

Have you recently started driving on motorways? I'm getting the same and I think it's the on / off ramps, some are 30kmph and it's difficult and very inconvenient to drop to 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Adambutterly

orkay wrote: »
    Have you recently started driving on motorways? I'm getting the same and I think it's the on / off ramps, some are 30kmph and it's difficult and very inconvenient to drop to 30.

well i have always drove on motorways. they have explained to me now that dangerous driving is 25% of the speed limit in that area added on to that speed limit. so if its a 60 zone then dangerous driving is technically anything over 75km. but then i asked ok well if i'm on the motorway and doing 125km/h is that considered dangerous driving? and she said yes it is. so they haven't a clue really they seem to just make up the rules as they go along and sure i'm not going to pay someone to come out and test the box to see if its reading accurately because of course they would love to take more of your money. i have now also been told that because i have used majority of my km's and i have only been with them around 5 months this year if i cancel i might have to pay for the rest of the year to make up for the used km's... its an absolute joke so i will be cancelling soon enough and paying them as little as possible. there absolute robbers and honestly would advise everyone to steer well clear of them. unless your a learner driver maybe only driving the weekends and dont need to worry about km's. other then that its worth paying the extra cash to other insurance companies to not have the worry

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Thought I would throw my experience in. Just renewed with boxymo. This will be my second year with them. 05 Clio - provisional license - 1 year experience - 1 year no claims - €1156

No issues at all. Got plenty of reward Kms last year. Paperwork smoothly handled. Online portal v handy for tracking driving (my cornering needs improvement). Highly recommend.

Edit to add that I'm a mom of two and never speed, so obviously no issues with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mr.kh

I'm 29 year old and was in the same situation as yourself, but the guy from boxymo told me that they insure drivers up to 25 years of age, that's why online quote didn't work for you and for me. Then he suggested to try 25plus insurers, he said they are one company but different customers etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Ellen 19

Don't touch them. they rope you in with a high charge 1st year then reduce a little 2nd year and make every effort for you to cancel to keep you money if you pay up front. they are faceless and unreasonable - they like Unionist/British bigots

They may be different if you pay per month if you pay up front they will cancel and keep you premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

Hey guys,

Just wondering was there any first time drivers using boxymo? Looking to start this year and it quoted 2.5k for a golf 07 with low mileage. It's borderline impossible to get insurance starting out :(

Thanks for the help!

Try AXA or Liberty. Boxymo are horrible to deal with - faceless. They'd find some way out if anything went wrong and decline to pay up

Advertisement