Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxymo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

joujoujou wrote: »
    What's the insurance co. name? Bolloxymo? ;)

//sorry, couldn't resist. :o

Special insurance prices for Renault owners. Owners of other brands must have our special risk reduction / immobiliser device fitted.

I can almost imagine this happening in Ireland. Remote control immobiliser, you have to ring up your insurer and plead with them to allow you to drive a certain times of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shaunaod

I also have this problem with boxy mo got the device fitted 7 months ago my car has been repetidely dying, got it checked by 3 different mechanics and they insisted the car was fine. No problem with the alternator I got a new battery fitted just to be sure it wasn't that either. I couldn't leave my car idle for more than 2 days or it died completely.
    The problem still continued to occur so I booked it into a diagnostic test for 100 euro with Nissan and they found it was the telematics device draining my battery. I have since emailed them complaing because I can't find a telephone number anywhere! And the one I found on their website didn't ring through. I'm very annoyed at this as its cost me quite a bit of money too jumping from mechanic to mechanic trying to source the problem they themselves have caused 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭billyhead

Shaunaod wrote: »
    I also have this problem with boxy mo got the device fitted 7 months ago my car has been repetidely dying, got it checked by 3 different mechanics and they insisted the car was fine. No problem with the alternator I got a new battery fitted just to be sure it wasn't that either. I couldn't leave my car idle for more than 2 days or it died completely.
    The problem still continued to occur so I booked it into a diagnostic test for 100 euro with Nissan and they found it was the telematics device draining my battery. I have since emailed them complaing because I can't find a telephone number anywhere! And the one I found on their website didn't ring through. I'm very annoyed at this as its cost me quite a bit of money too jumping from mechanic to mechanic trying to source the problem they themselves have caused 😡

My car drives after 2 days lack of use. I go some weeks without using the car for up to 6 days as I use a bike to commute to work and the car still starts. The only time my batter drained was about a week after I had it fitted. It was a second hand car I got with 105,000km on the clock and the morning I couldn't start it due to a flat batter was a cold frosty one so I put it down to that. Hard to know if it was the telematics device that caused my problem but it seems to be yours:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JohnoVC

is anyone here insured with boxymo, I want to purchase a policy but I heard you have to post out copies of your licence etc after you purchase online and it can take a couple of weeks for your policy to be effective when they post the disc out to you.

Can anyone confirm if you are insured straight away as I need to use my car?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

JohnoVC wrote: »
    is anyone here insured with boxymo, I want to purchase a policy but I heard you have to post out copies of your licence etc after you purchase online and it can take a couple of weeks for your policy to be effective when they post the disc out to you.

Can anyone confirm if you are insured straight away as I need to use my car?

That is standard procedure with all insurers. Generally speaking you can email them the documents and they can approve faster. All insurance bought online comes under 'distance selling' regulations i.e. Its automatically approved based on the criteria you give (And assuming its not fraudulent) but both the buyer and seller have the right to cancel it within a set period (I think 10 business days)

For example, a glitch in an online system might sell me car insurance for €10 or I might get a 17 year old insured on a GT-R for peanuts. Hence why all policies need this verification. It doesn't take weeks however and I'd be shocked if you couldn't email it in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭spupazza

Hi, On the 7th of August I'm due for renewal. At the moment I'm with AA, but i would like to spend less and I know that Boxymo is one insurance company that gives cheap quotes.

Who is with this insurance what's your opinion about it?
    What are the documents that they require to set up a new policy?

Thank you in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good thread here in Learning forum (besides the thread I merged yours with).
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100220492

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SheepOnField

Boxymo wont insure cars over 15 years old. Anyone know an insurance company with the same kind of box that will?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 gavshee

Can anone on here tell me what documents boxymo want from you once you buy the policy and also how long you have to send them in? Unfortunatly i simply cant afford anywhere else ive shopped around for a month. Id be greatful if anyone could give me that info asap thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mike5000

I found a very good quote with them as a first time driver with a full license just wondering is it as bad as people say I've read many mixed reviews about them can anyone that has it please give me info on it , and even if your goin 5-10km over the limit to they penalise you? Can't find anywhere decent that will insure me without the box Cheapest I found is 3,700 and boxymo is 2000, Many thanks in advance :)

• Advertisement

Mike5000 wrote: »
    I found a very good quote with them as a first time driver with a full license just wondering is it as bad as people say I've read many mixed reviews about them can anyone that has it please give me info on it , and even if your goin 5-10km over the limit to they penalise you? Can't find anywhere decent that will insure me without the box Cheapest I found is 3,700 and boxymo is 2000, Many thanks in advance :)

€3700 is really high, what are you trying to insure? Personally I'd pay anything to avoid having it in my car. Its invasive, can't possibly be accurate and its a sure fire way to be screwed down the line. I'd rather pay the extra €5 a day and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 marialou

Boxymo have the WORST customer services I have ever experienced. I applied to get insured with them and was ready to pay with my card. They then told me that as I was a named driver on my mothers insurance it needed to be canceled before I apply, that they needed a cancellation letter. I rang the insurance company straight away to ask them to cancel it and send the letter. I then rang boxymo again and told them it was canceled they said they still needed the letter.

When I sent the letter today they said they didn't need the letter that they will go ahead and insure me. They then put me on hold and said they will not insure me as I am older now. So I wasted a month waiting for the letter to come when they told me I needed it to be insured even though I didn't need it at all. They are a complete waste of time!!! Staff are incompetent and they refused to admit they were in the wrong! They are now ignoring me. I rang my parents broker and they told me that no reliable insurance brokers deal with them as they are complete "scumbags to be honest". If that doesn't tell you what they are like you can check all their reviews on every site where they are mostly 1 star. DO NOT BOTHER DEALING WITH BOXYMO ITS A WASTE OF TIME

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

marialou wrote: »
    DO NOT BOTHER DEALING WITH BOXYMO ITS A WASTE OF TIME

Would have thought that was abundantly clear given their authoritarian style control over customer's driving. They really are the type of company that should actively be boycotted until they relent on some of the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

I can't believe that ppl are willing to willingly give up so much privacy for what really is small money.

I know that soon new cars will have to call 112 automatically when they detect a collision, but what other data will they be collecting.

Time for a tinfoil hat and have those features disabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I really cannot fathom what peoples issue is with this company having telematics boxes in their policy holders cars.

Their target market is drivers that are in the very highest risk category ie first time motorists.

The likes of Quinn direct lost a fortune on the young driver market.

There is a reason that very few companies quote young / first time drivers.

It is 100% logical that a company will try and mitigate its potential losses given the fact it is insuring very high risk drivers.

People nowadays want to have their cake and eat it when it comes to insurance.

My problem with them is the simply are not good enough for the purpose they are being used for. They cannot, in the slightest, be accurate in terms of acceleration, cornering and braking forces a driver is undertaking. If you want to do that, you need multiple sensors and to set up each installation for the car involved. The only thing they are good for is measuring where a driver went, how fast they went and when it occurred. Every other metric is pure BS, but its that very BS that a driver will be penalised for. Its even more outrageous if the App is running on your phone. Every single phone is different and the very orientation of the phone in the car could throw the data wildly off. To cap it off, there is zero oversight on the hardware and software so the metrics can't even be verified as being true and accurate.

Why not offer insurance by the hour? e.g. A young driver can buy multiple hours and the GPS logs them. When they are running close to being up, send them a text or perhaps even an auto recharge. Or by mileage? I'd have no issue with that. But taxing a young driver for 'braking too hard' or 'sharp cornering' based on this data is complete nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Is there anyone here with boxymo? What are they like to deal it.... mixed reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Mf310 wrote: »
    Is there anyone here with boxymo? What are they like to deal it.... mixed reviews

Up to you if you want to be tracked.
    Some have no other option due to crazy prices.

If you do just drive within the law and speed limits and stay off motorways if on learner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Mf310 wrote: »
    my partner is with them since Nov and although it can be a pain trying to stay within the limit at times, it works well. each month you get a monthly score based on your drive. It will also tell you if you accelerating too hard, braking, cornering etc and of course speeding, only things about the speeding part is they cant tell you where it was, but they gave me the best quote for the gf and cant complain so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

ironclaw wrote: »
    Why not offer insurance by the hour? e.g. A young driver can buy multiple hours and the GPS logs them. When they are running close to being up, send them a text or perhaps even an auto recharge. Or by mileage? I'd have no issue with that. But taxing a young driver for 'braking too hard' or 'sharp cornering' based on this data is complete nonsense.
    Id like to see options like this from the insurance companies. seeing as how young or retired drives in rural locations only need to visit the shops a few times a week. also, limiting driving at night would be a great option for those of us that don't pop down to the pub for a party

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pabloazazel

Is anyone due for renewal or has renewed with Boxymo????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭DJ98

Will they charge you more for braking too hard, cornering or speeding?

DJ98 wrote: »
    Will they charge you more for braking too hard, cornering or speeding?

No, you will get a score each month out of 100. You can check your driving behavior from their portal and see if your braking too hard, corning, speeding or accelerating. My partner shows over 200 braking occurrences but still got a score above 80. The higher your score also the more bonus mileage you will get

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DauphinAi

I'm just starting out driving and all my insurance quotes have been absolutely extortionate. I was told to try BoxyMo who gave me a much more reasonable quote, but I've been told by someone else they're not good to go with at all. Apparently if you go over the speed limit they fine you. Anyone know if this is true or have any insights they could share? Thanks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

DauphinAi wrote: »
    I'm just starting out driving and all my insurance quotes have been absolutely extortionate. I was told to try BoxyMo who gave me a much more reasonable quote, but I've been told by someone else they're not good to go with at all. Apparently if you go over the speed limit they fine you. Anyone know if this is true or have any insights they could share? Thanks.

They install a box into your car that records your driving, you go over the speed limit they will invalidate your insurance etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DauphinAi

Do you know how strict they are? Lets say the speed limit is 50 and you're doing 55/60? Or is it only if you're speeding? Do they up the insurance there and then or is it reviewed at the end of the year?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

What sort of information does BoxyMo collect?

BoxyMo will collect information on the following:

Criteria

Reason

Speed
    It is a well known fact that speeding is a major contributory factor to road accidents particularly on rural or urban roads. The faster someone is driving the less time they have to stop if something unexpected happens. Of course we can all inadvertently go slightly over the speed limit from time to time and we will take account of this. What we look for are those drivers that regular break the speed limit and do so by a larger than average speed. We will also be looking at speeding in inappropriate conditions such as at night and/or in urban areas. The more frequently you drive within the speed limit the more likely you are to be awarded "Reward Kilometres" and get a lower renewal premium.

Driving Smoothness
    This is broken down into Braking, Cornering and Acceleration. If you are braking heavily all the time this would indicate poor awareness and/or speeding and not keeping distance from the vehicle in front. In normal circumstances the safest way to brake is to do so early and lightly, braking more firmly as you stop. The more frequently you brake harshly the lower your driving score will be and the less likely you will be to earn "Reward Kilometres".
    You should also drive at a speed suitable for the characteristics of the road (corners/bends). Driving too fast will cause the vehicle to tilt and we monitor this. The more frequently you drive at appropriate speeds around corners over a period of time the higher your score will be.

Where and When
    This considers the times the vehicle is being driven on specific roads (by speed limit). Driving in the dark is one of the most dangerous times of driving. Visibility is lower than in daylight hours and a driver’s depth perception is reduced which can cause impaired judgement and delayed reflex actions. Driving between the hours of 11pm and 5am will lower your score.

Distance
    With BoxyMo you select the "Policy Kilometres" you will need for the year. If you need more than this do not worry as you can purchase more "Top-Up Kilometres".

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

I'm with Boxymo for almost a year now and I can confirm that they neither fine you or invalidate your policy if you are speeding. Your insurance policy will be cancelled if you commit a severe speeding offence, but it's not clear as to what is defined as severe. You get a weekly text that indicates how well you drove for that week. I have gotten moderate or dangerous speeding offences from time to time, but never a severe speeding offence. As far as I can gather, if you are doing 65km/h in a 60 zone that would be classed as a moderate speeding offence. Obviously if you accumulate enough of these it may be grounds for your policy to be invalidated. I think the best thing about Boxymo is that it trains you to be aware of your speed when you are probably at your most vulnerable on the roads as a new driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pushpush

jonnycivic wrote: »
    What sort of information does BoxyMo collect?

BoxyMo will collect information on the following:

Criteria

Reason

Speed
    It is a well known fact that speeding is a major contributory factor to road accidents particularly on rural or urban roads. The faster someone is driving the less time they have to stop if something unexpected happens. Of course we can all inadvertently go slightly over the speed limit from time to time and we will take account of this. What we look for are those drivers that regular break the speed limit and do so by a larger than average speed. We will also be looking at speeding in inappropriate conditions such as at night and/or in urban areas. The more frequently you drive within the speed limit the more likely you are to be awarded "Reward Kilometres" and get a lower renewal premium.

Driving Smoothness
    This is broken down into Braking, Cornering and Acceleration. If you are braking heavily all the time this would indicate poor awareness and/or speeding and not keeping distance from the vehicle in front. In normal circumstances the safest way to brake is to do so early and lightly, braking more firmly as you stop. The more frequently you brake harshly the lower your driving score will be and the less likely you will be to earn "Reward Kilometres".
    You should also drive at a speed suitable for the characteristics of the road (corners/bends). Driving too fast will cause the vehicle to tilt and we monitor this. The more frequently you drive at appropriate speeds around corners over a period of time the higher your score will be.

Where and When
    This considers the times the vehicle is being driven on specific roads (by speed limit). Driving in the dark is one of the most dangerous times of driving. Visibility is lower than in daylight hours and a driver’s depth perception is reduced which can cause impaired judgement and delayed reflex actions. Driving between the hours of 11pm and 5am will lower your score.

Distance
    With BoxyMo you select the "Policy Kilometres" you will need for the year. If you need more than this do not worry as you can purchase more "Top-Up Kilometres".

A question in relation to the times you drive. What if you work in the entertainment business and only finish work at 2am and sometimes 3 am can this be taken into consideration when scoring you
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Boeing777 wrote: »
    If you are speeding. Your insurance policy will be cancelled if you commit a severe speeding offence, but it's not clear as to what is defined as severe.
    when i was quoting for my partner they said that a severe speeding event would be doing over 120mph or something like that

Advertisement