Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxymo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Libertewhite

if i pay now what happens next/
    will they send me out my insurance disc or do i have to send a copy of my drivers license first

I'm with Boxymo. They will ask you to scan your licence and any other drivers that are going to be insured on your car.
    They will ask for the direct debit/bank stuff.
    Then they will send out insurance disc. Then you can start driving.
    You can drive even if you don't have the box installed yet.
    This can take anywhere up to 2/4 weeks to get box installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

I am with boxymo.ie for my car insurance,

long story cut short.

The first install of the telematics device was wired directly to the front fog lamp switch, this meant that the front fog lights pulsed on and off when driving, the way they would on an emergency vehicle, so I called boxymo and they got the fitters out to fix it.. (waited 3 weeks)

Now the problems are worse, since the refitting of the telematics device, there is an error message on the dash saying the alarm system needs to be checked, and also, whatever they have done is draining the battery at a fast rate, I have had to jump start the car several times since and the day after they left, the LOW BATTERY WARNING light came up on the dash.

I have phoned boxymo and got no reply to the message I left, I called edrive, the installers, they said they would get back to me and they havnt

now the car sits there unable to start..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

we've 400+ vehicles on our fleet with trackers in them albiet from a different company is your car unusual

the only issue we have ever had is trackers going faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Why was it not wired up to a fuse that cuts power when ignition is off. Sounds like a botched job stealing power from a fog light

Bazzy wrote: »
    we've 400+ vehicles on our fleet with trackers in them albiet from a different company is your car unusual

Volvo s40 '06

The battery is fine and the alternator is charging OK...

whatever has been done is draining the battery rapidly, and causing a malfunction on the car alarm..

I am tempted to take this telematics device out of the car and tell the insurance company where to go with it.

It is there problem, not mine, the insurance company contracted edrive to install it.. whatever they have done, is having problems with the car..

• Advertisement

boardzz wrote: »
    Why was it not wired up to a fuse that cuts power when ignition is off. Sounds like a botched job stealing power from a fog light

that was the first time, now they rewired it and the problem is much worse..

I have an unusable car with this device in wired up the way they have done it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Our trackers are always on so they do drain the battery a small bit a van would have to be sitting up for 3 weeks plus before it would need a jump start.

They've wired it arse ways wiring it into the fog lights is YEEE HAW at best

It should have its on feed direct from before the fuse box most of them if not all take a feed from there into a fuse and then into the system and back out into another fuse.

its only a sim card talking to a network so uses up very very very little juice.

its been wired arseways get onto edrive and get them to sort it. Be wary of ripping it out your insurance could become null and void very quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Having seen the behind the scenes work of many audio / car kit installers I'm not one bit surprised by this.
    320473_1.jpg
    LOL they have you either way knowing insurance companies - remove it and you're not covered. Leave it in and you have are knowingly driving with an unpredictable and amateur modification.
    Maybe this is the point - if you can't drive it anywhere without breaking conditions of your insurance, then they know they can offer a low price.

Seriously though - they wouldn't be long crying foul if your kit was disabled or spoofed, but they can let a gang of wandering apes loose on your car without any comeback - LOL. YEEEE HAW indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Frankly shocking they would wire it up to the Fog light, and in such a way that would actually complete the circuit to cause the fogs to engage. I'm struggling to think how one would even do that without a combination of questionable live and earthing arrangements. I'd be half interested in seeing the install actually! You can easily tap off the fuse board with some piggy back fuses, so no idea why they would splice there way into the fog circuit of all circuits to choose.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Frankly shocking they would wire it up to the Fog light, and in such a way that would actually complete the circuit to cause the fogs to engage. I'm struggling to think how one would even do that without a combination of questionable live and earthing arrangements. I'd be half interested in seeing the install actually! You can easily tap off the fuse board with some piggy back fuses, so no idea why they would splice there way into the fog circuit of all circuits to choose.

the installer put the telematics device behind the drivers kick panel, the fuse box is on the passenger side...

when I watched him taking the interior apart to fix the first bodge, I was surprised to see he had the + wire spliced into the loom of the front fog light switch...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Keep ringing and mailing the installers - every day.
    Mail the installer and copy insurer on every mail.

Show that you are really trying to get your car back in working order but the installers are blocking you. Tell insurer that if car is not corrected soon, they are in breach of contract and you will demand a full refund and go to a better insurer.

biko wrote: »
    Keep ringing and mailing the installers - every day.
    Mail the installer and copy insurer on every mail.

Show that you are really trying to get your car back in working order but the installers are blocking you. Tell insurer that if car is not corrected soon, they are in breach of contract and you will demand a full refund and go to a better insurer.

I'd want a hire car until an inspection by a competent auto electrician could confirm that the cack handed jobs had been fully rectified with no lasting damage to the car.

Seriously like, an apology over the phone and "shur they'll get it right third time lucky wha wha wha" is not acceptable at all. A car is an essential part of life for many people in Ireland. Never knowing if your previously reliable car will start when you need it after you park it up somewhere is not a shrug your shoulders "insurance shur! What can ya do ha? They're awful messers so they are!" job.

Any company that isn't very very very apologetic and going the extra mile to make up for this situation is a shower of c@nts, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

Bazzy wrote: »

I believe touching a welder off the tow hitch ****s them up not that I've ever done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I believe touching a welder off the tow hitch ****s them up not that I've ever done it.

It'll disable the tracker alright because every piece of electronics in the car will be destroyed.

Del2005 wrote: »
    It'll disable the tracker alright because every piece of electronics in the car will be destroyed.

To be honest I'm surprised cowboy car kit installer aren't advertising this as a service. Shur what's the worst that could happen!! :pac: "trakkers perfeshunaly disabelt"

CamperMan wrote: »
    the installer put the telematics device behind the drivers kick panel, the fuse box is on the passenger side...

when I watched him taking the interior apart to fix the first bodge, I was surprised to see he had the + wire spliced into the loom of the front fog light switch...

Thats a really lazy install. Either install closer to the fuse box or run a +ve across from the fuse board with a proper splice / tap onto an appropriate circuit. Did they fuse the +ve they spliced off? Using proper connectors and blocks?

For a tracker, I'd forgive them for not wanting to go near the fuse box to hide it but for an insurance telematics device, there is no excuse. Its this bottom barrel stuff that really annoys me as to do things properly takes time and effort, something that is rarely appreciated when John Boy can do it in 10 mins with a pliers, a paperclip and some insulating tape.

I phoned boxymo, they say its the installer eDrive, they are responsible, i also told the insurance company there is no way im going to let the same installers attempt to correct this for a third time... what if they wired it up to the loom for the cruise control?..

The car is still sat outside unable to start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭kindalen

your contract is with the insurer? if the company the hired to install the device have made a mistake, surely it is up to insurer to sort this out? keep records of every call email. ask insurer to supply you with a letter stating that your car is roadworthy.

I would not accept them passing the blame.

tell them if your are not sorted within 24/48 hours that you will be forced to go legal and/or press route?

perhaps ask them how many other unsafe cars are they liable for that are presently driving around.....?

@CamperMan, if you are based in Dublin / North Wicklow, out of pig iron I'd be interested see the botch job they did.

ironclaw wrote: »
    @CamperMan, if you are based in Dublin / North Wicklow, out of pig iron I'd be interested see the botch job they did.

I will be photographing it when they come to try and fix the problem

• Advertisement

I will be photographing it when they come to try and fix the problem

Please do! Would love to see it :pac:

The installers came to check the car, told me the battery was kaput and to get a new battery, then they can come and check the car over

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The installers came to check the car, told me the battery was kaput and to get a new battery, then they can come and check the car over

Have you taken photos of this mess? Never mind us on here wanting to look, you should have it for your own benefit in dealing with this. There could be a case for a claim against them if they've been negligent.

Not really great advertising for Boxymo is it?
    They should REALLY be sorting this out pronto.

It's plausible that there is some issue with the battery, but it's also plausible that the attempted installs were the cause of draining the battery to a level where it is now useless. It's also very possible, going on recent form, that they were looking at the spare wheel instead of the battery, or had a packet of biscuits hooked up instead of a multimeter.

If you know anyone who has a grasp of electrical stuff beyond sticking cutlery into sockets, I'd say disconnect that sh1t until you can verify what the problem is.
    This is a rough, off the top of my head version of what I would do
    1) disconnect that sh1t
    2) jump start car or charge battery.
    3) Check alternator, drive car for 30 mins.
    4) Stop car somewhere safe and convenient. Your own drive way is best I guess. Have a cup of tea and try to start it again.
    5) If it doesn't start now, or starts now, but not in the morning, your battery is indeed goosed, or there is a problem other than the tracker being fitted. Check alternator, and/or replace battery, refit tracker - see how it goes (repeat 3,4,5?).
    6) If it works fine over the weekend after a charge/jump and without the tracker fitted, then the fitting company have shown themselves to be out and out spoofers IMO and shouldn't be left near a childs 6V toy car.

Battery has nothing to do with it. They managed to wire a tracker that is causing the fog light circuit to complete. They could be shorting the entire circuit and god knows what else. Unless its fused, it has the potential to be a massive fire risk. Correctly wired, the tracker should not be causing that much drain, unless its a super old battery. If it's draining quick, it could be discharging across a large resistance in the car. Large resistance and a nice battery to pump some current means heat.

I'd have the car checked today if it was me and send the bill to the insurer.

Have you taken photos of this mess? Never mind us on here wanting to look, you should have it for your own benefit in dealing with this. There could be a case for a claim against them if they've been negligent.
    Add your reply here.

Sorry, no photos, they didnt even look at the telematics device, all they did was put a multi meter on the battery, it read 11.5v, they then attempted for a few minutes to jump start the car.. once started, they used a diagnostic system to read error codes, nothing showed.. so after maybe 40 minutes, i was told there was nothing more they can do until i put a new battery in..

The thing is, this telematics device is wired to a permanent feed and does not shut off when the ignition is off, surely a device like this can drain a battery if the car isnt used?..

So.. its the weekend and still no functioning car

Not really great advertising for Boxymo is it?
    They should REALLY be sorting this out pronto.

It's plausible that there is some issue with the battery, but it's also plausible that the attempted installs were the cause of draining the battery to a level where it is now useless. It's also very possible, going on recent form, that they were looking at the spare wheel instead of the battery, or had a packet of biscuits hooked up instead of a multimeter.

If you know anyone who has a grasp of electrical stuff beyond sticking cutlery into sockets, I'd say disconnect that sh1t until you can verify what the problem is.
    This is a rough, off the top of my head version of what I would do
    1) disconnect that sh1t
    2) jump start car or charge battery.
    3) Check alternator, drive car for 30 mins.
    4) Stop car somewhere safe and convenient. Your own drive way is best I guess. Have a cup of tea and try to start it again.
    5) If it doesn't start now, or starts now, but not in the morning, your battery is indeed goosed, or there is a problem other than the tracker being fitted. Check alternator, and/or replace battery, refit tracker - see how it goes (repeat 3,4,5?).
    6) If it works fine over the weekend after a charge/jump and without the tracker fitted, then the fitting company have shown themselves to be out and out spoofers IMO and shouldn't be left near a childs 6V toy car.
    Add your reply here.

If i attempt to touch the telematics device, my insurance will be cancelled.. only an authorised monkey can do this

The thing is, this telematics device is wired to a permanent feed and does not shut off when the ignition is off, surely a device like this can drain a battery if the car isnt used?..

It will, but will take weeks as the amount of power required is minimal (100mA or less usually) Hence if its draining quick, there is circuit pulling a lot more power.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭billyhead

I am with Boxymo since the start of February and on Feb 19th about a week after the device was installed my car was dead. It was an icy/frosty morning and I put it down to a drained battery. A mechanic came out to tow the car to a the nearest garage and replace the battery and test it. After reading this thread I am beginning to believe the device installed caused it and made me fork up €100 to get the battery job done:o. The car has been running ok when I need it since the mechanic sorted it. I wonder how the telematics device could have effected the battery though:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

What's the insurance co. name? Bolloxymo? ;)

//sorry, couldn't resist. :o

Advertisement