Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miserable Irish Begrudgery

Options
13»

Comments

Read her autobiography, her mother hates Edmund from the off.

As for her crying about killing herself, thats a little insensitive of you.

Her father commit suicide when Ronda was eight years old, and evidence shows that when a parent dies by suicide that parent almost certainly puts at least one of their children on the path to contemplating suicide at some later point in their lives.

I seen that interview and thought it was cringy but I'd never ignore or mock someone opening up about taking their own life.. Thats a bit lousey of you IMO.

yeah well that's hyper sensitive of you, define my MOCKING??. I;m surprised you;d come out with that being a moderator.
    I know all about her dad, we've seen the BIO!!

TITO ortiz lost his friends in a shooting, he'd watch his dad drag his mam out for punters to take turns on, so they could fuel their drug habbit!!
    just one story, of which I;d say there's dozens
    We all have problems to deal with, demons to slay.
    most do so with dignity and seek professional help. we don't go on afternoon TV. theres' no mocking here, I simply wont be convinced with the crocodile tears, unlike some I see !

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

JustShon wrote: »
    Very insightful wasn't it? :P

I'm usually of the mindset that people are entitled to their opinion on things but without knowing a good bit about it, it comes across badly.

I don't like rugby but I wouldn't go ahead and write an article about a sport I know very little about. I don't understand why people (well, other than page views) decide to pen these articles despite having very little knowledge about MMA.

I think it'd be the perfect time for the likes of Ryano/SBG etc to open its doors to naysayers in the media and let them partake in a training session. It may enlighten them a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

rusty cole wrote: »
    yeah well that's hyper sensitive of you, define my MOCKING??. I;m surprised you;d come out with that being a moderator.
    I know all about her dad, we've seen the BIO!!

TITO ortiz lost his friends in a shooting, he'd watch his dad drag his mam out for punters to take turns on, so they could fuel their drug habbit!!
    just one story, of which I;d say there's dozens
    We all have problems to deal with, demons to slay.
    most do so with dignity and seek professional help. we don't go on afternoon TV. theres' no mocking here, I simply wont be convinced with the crocodile tears, unlike some I see !

I find it amazing that a person who goes on a talk show and speaks openly about feeling suicidal following a dark moment in their life is described as doing "crocodile tears", particularly when that person's father actually committed suicide. Surely you get the fact that Ronda is not going to throw around suicide flippantly given that her father committed suicide?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'm usually of the mindset that people are entitled to their opinion on things but without knowing a good bit about it, it comes across badly.

I don't like rugby but I wouldn't go ahead and write an article about a sport I know very little about. I don't understand why people (well, other than page views) decide to pen these articles despite having very little knowledge about MMA.

I think it'd be the perfect time for the likes of Ryano/SBG etc to open its doors to naysayers in the media and let them partake in a training session. It may enlighten them a bit more.

People are entitled to their opinion but my problem with it comes about when people act like they're an authority on something they know nothing about.

I know somewhere between sh1te and all about MMA if I'm totally honest. I'll still give my opinion on fights etc but that's all it is, an opinion; it's far from fact.

I find it amazing that a person who goes on a talk show and speaks openly about feeling suicidal following a dark moment in their life is described as doing "crocodile tears", particularly when that person's father actually committed suicide. Surely you get the fact that Ronda is not going to throw around suicide flippantly given that her father committed suicide?

really, she made a point of going on about suicide with bethe correia despite the fact correia doesn't have the best english and was misquoted out of context, yet suddenly she's championing suicide victims round the world...
    Now she's beaten and goes on Ellen and it's back to her Darkest time!! yet gives no thought to those she interacts with in relation to same

suicide awareness and prevention is not something I'd have her preach about. if it gets people behind her, she'll play off of it. I know loads of people that have killed themselves, it's shocking but again we're talking about self image and promotion here, damage control etc. she's a brand and what you see is ALL you get!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

JustShon wrote: »
    People are entitled to their opinion but my problem with it comes about when people act like they're an authority on something they know nothing about.

I know somewhere between sh1te and all about MMA if I'm totally honest. I'll still give my opinion on fights etc but that's all it is, an opinion; it's far from fact.

Absolutely. I love watching boxing fights but outside of the actual fights, I don't know anything about what's going on externally because I don't consume boxing media in the same why I would with MMA.

But there's a difference between opinion and informed opinion and the former has given people a soap box to spout vitriol towards something they just want to bash in many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

What a lazy argument- all criticism is begrudgery. Perhaps we are nation that isn't very good at taking criticism?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

cloudatlas wrote: »
    What a lazy argument- all criticism is begrudgery. Perhaps we are nation that isn't very good at taking criticism?

It's not though! Begrudgery is resentment of any person who has achieved success or wealth, very different to true constructive criticism!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

It's not though! Begrudgery is resentment of any person who has achieved success or wealth, very different to true constructive criticism!

And I would suggest that a lot of people don't know the difference.

And I would suggest that a lot of people don't know the difference.

well clearly you're one of them, your words not ours.
    What a lazy argument- all criticism is begrudgery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Ah come on now,Ronda wont even talk about mma now since she lost,there is literally no comparison,not to even mention stuff shes done in her personal life outside of fight promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

darced wrote: »
    What is the difference in what Conor does and what Ronda does? Is it the belief that Conor is only playing a character and Ronda is being herself? It all seems very hypocritical.

Honestly, for me anyway, that's exactly the reason.

How can anybody take offence to anything this man says,he even goes full wwe with his entrance to the stadium taking the piss

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCmanW_SSah/?taken-by=kennyflorian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Gamebred wrote: »
    Ah come on now,Ronda wont even talk about mma now .

She's not obliged to talk about MMA.

She doesn't even talk about Judo now either.

Its brilliant that CmcG didn't shy away but people handle defeat in the public eye differently ~ you can bet your life he's beating himself up about it away from the public gaze.

She's not obliged to talk about MMA.

She doesn't even talk about Judo now either.

Its brilliant that CmcG didn't shy away but people handle defeat in the public eye differently ~ you can bet your life he's beating himself up about it away from the public gaze.

Will ya get a grip shes not obliged? you can be damn sure now she will talk about it now Holly get beaten,im sure shes done more for charities ect than ive ever done and god knows what demons she has but on a human level Conor is 10 times the person she is from what ive seen.

Will ya get a grip shes not obliged?.

Sure, she's not obliged. Simple as.

Lots of champions shy away to lick their wounds after a defeat.

And I'm not disagreeing with you re. CmcG, I think he's handling things far better than she did. But thats his personality, win or lose.

Personally I don't really care for either fighters public image, I find both are spectacular to watch.

I was ringside when Conor made his debut, his striking back then was just as spectacular given that MMA in this country was in its infancy. Would you believe fighters often didn't even have their own gloves and would be swapping gloves ring/cageside after their bouts.

Ronda never set the world on fire on the Judo tatami, but I found her Judo in the cage just as spectacular as Conors striking.

Outside of that I couldn't really give a toss what either fighter does.

Ah I think doing interviews and saying if mma is brought up your gonna walk out is very childish,for somebody who is an mma pioneer and the greatest female fighter ever as she was billed,you cant go hiding away Ive lost myself many of time (not 0.1%) on the stage she suffered but the the losing feeling is the same for everyone Im sure you've felt the same,if you cant accept a loss with humilty I have no respect its a bitter pill to swallow but as a supposed role model for young kids (not that she asked to be but still) she aint setting a good example,lose = go hiding

Ah I think doing interviews and saying if mma is brought up your gonna walk out is very childish,for somebody who is an mma pioneer and the greatest female fighter ever as she was billed,you cant go hiding away Ive lost myself many of time (not 0.1%) on the stage she suffered but the the losing feeling is the same for everyone Im sure you've felt the same,if you cant accept a loss with humilty I have no respect its a bitter pill to swallow but as a supposed role model for young kids (not that she asked to be but still) she aint setting a good example,lose = go hiding

I'm around a long time, I've lost plenty. But I've stuck it out. I hit the big FIVE OH yesterday and I'm confident I'll still be in the game in another twenty years.

Like I said I care for what either do after a loss. I've never been caught up in the UFC circus, I rarely watch it tbh.

People often say it to me that I know CmcG on a personal level and do I not get excited for him, of course I do (sometimes I'm a bag of nerves) but I rarely know anything about his opponent.

I used to moderate this forum, but back then it was mostly the Irish scene being commented on but as the UFC became more popular and I wasn't following it I stepped down.

Anyway I'm off to bed, thanks for the chat.

Ah I think doing interviews and saying if mma is brought up your gonna walk out is very childish,for somebody who is an mma pioneer and the greatest female fighter ever as she was billed,you cant go hiding away Ive lost myself many of time (not 0.1%) on the stage she suffered but the the losing feeling is the same for everyone Im sure you've felt the same,if you cant accept a loss with humilty I have no respect its a bitter pill to swallow but as a supposed role model for young kids (not that she asked to be but still) she aint setting a good example,lose = go hiding[/QUOTE

I agree 100%, it's that whole I want it may way mentality. If you ride on the highs you must ride out the lows too. What really got on my goat was her attitude when DANA white allegedly called her and they discussed the result, " I guess I'd better get back to work"....hhhmmm what would the reply have been if white reported Holm decimated Tate in similar fashion to Rhonda??
    oh well I've got movie commitments.... or anything to avoid being battered again, which she will be!!! she's up with Kanye west in terms of ego!!!

• Advertisement

Sure, she's not obliged. Simple as.

Lots of champions shy away to lick their wounds after a defeat.

And I'm not disagreeing with you re. CmcG, I think he's handling things far better than she did. But thats his personality, win or lose.

Personally I don't really care for either fighters public image, I find both are spectacular to watch.

I was ringside when Conor made his debut, his striking back then was just as spectacular given that MMA in this country was in its infancy. Would you believe fighters often didn't even have their own gloves and would be swapping gloves ring/cageside after their bouts.

Ronda never set the world on fire on the Judo tatami, but I found her Judo in the cage just as spectacular as Conors striking.

Outside of that I couldn't really give a toss what either fighter does.

dont understand the logic here really....she's not obliged to simple as??? hhhmm most famous female MMA star in the world goes to do interviews, press junkets, magazine pieces and she' asked what??? favorite hairspray? preferred sports bra / tampon??.. what pearls of wisdom would we expect from her?? oh yes cos she's up there with Marie curie or the suffragettes in terms of importance and contribution to life in general!! she comes over herself like a giggling school girl on stage because she's sharing the bikini cover on sport illustrated (cringe city).. she does a right cuckoo job on another womans boyfriend and stands telling women to be strong and proud!! gimme a break, it was never about licking her wounds, she just can't face being beaten. All the talk of bulimia and suicidal thoughts is bull****. ooohh I slap my kid cos it goes back to my own treatment as a child yada yada yada oooh the pressure, all those millions ehh!!!! when people have too much money or take too many drugs, they become an even worse version of themselves, mariah carey, kanye west, fooookin donald trump.... but they were assholes to begin with, remember that...GSP was minted and an all round respectful person..she even had a go at him!! she could do well to learn from him as I see it.

wow, is this still the mcgregor thread...... echo echo....hellooooooo.... walks off to bed!!!:(

Your a gas man rusty I love your rants keep em up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

rusty cole wrote: »
    wow, is this still the mcgregor thread...... echo echo....hellooooooo.... walks off to bed!!!:(

It's actually not the McGregor thread xD

McGregor thread is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057565178&page=65

Advertisement