Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miserable Irish Begrudgery

Options
  • 08-03-2016 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

I think it was Yeats who compared the Irish to a sow who eats its farrow. Every writer this country ever produced was banned at some stage!

Yet again the same old miserable Irish begrudgery rears it's head when a person who has made a success of himself like McGregor has a setback.

I'm not a fan of MMA as such but I watched the fights and I enjoy watching McGregor mouthing and peacocking and I take my hat off to him for his magnificent success.

However after his defeat we have witnessed a jeering lynch mob of bitter twisted sad sacks attacking him.

Why?

Is it a relic of our revolution when landlords were run out of the country and their palaces they left behind burned to the ground?

Can some people never just be happy for someone?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I think it was Yeats who compared the Irish to a sow who eats its farrow.

Yet again the same old miserable Irish begrudgery rears it's head when a person who has made a success of himself like McGregor has a setback.

I'm not a fan of MMA as such but I watched the fights and I enjoy watching McGregor mouthing and peacocking and I take my hat off to him for his magnificent success.

However after his defeat we have witnessed a jeering lynch mob of bitter twisted sad sacks attacking him.

Why?

Is it a relic of our revolution when landlords were run out of the country and their palaces they left behind burned to the ground?

Can some people never just be happy for someone?

There is an unsavoury mix of jackasses who are in love with McG and talk the world of **** about his opponents being pussies etc and jackasses who hate the guy. These two groups seem to be obsessed with outdoing eachother and in the middle of all of this the reasonable folk (actual fans of the sport) get caught. Not sure I've ever seen anything like the furore that surrounds the McGregor phenomenon. Talk about polarizing a nation. It's also worth noting people are great at talking **** online.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

There is an unsavoury mix of jackasses who are in love with McG and talk the world of **** about his opponents being pussies etc and jackasses who hate the guy. These two groups seem to be obsessed with outdoing eachother and in the middle of all of this the reasonable folk (actual fans of the sport) get caught. Not sure I've ever seen anything like the furore that surrounds the McGregor phenomenon. Talk about polarizing a nation. It's also worth noting people are great at talking **** online.

This whole "actual fan of the sport" thing is the bullshít behind it. People who watched the GSPs, Griffins, BJ Penns, Liddells, heck even Lesnars a few years ago seem to want everyone to know that they have been watching for longer than the new fans that McGregor has brought to the sport and how much better they are than them. It's like anything online really.

There is always people ready to plunge the knife into people at the top and McGregor is so confident that people see him as some upstart who is disrespecting fighters who have years on him in the game. This is because they only really pay attention to him in the run up to a fight and only see the outspoken, getting in opponents head Conor, not the one who literally stops whatever he's doing so that (almost) everyone who asks him for a picture gets one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Liam O wrote: »
    This whole "actual fan of the sport" thing is the bullshít behind it. People who watched the GSPs, Griffins, BJ Penns, Liddells, heck even Lesnars a few years ago seem to want everyone to know that they have been watching for longer than the new fans that McGregor has brought to the sport and how much better they are than them. It's like anything online really.

There is always people ready to plunge the knife into people at the top and McGregor is so confident that people see him as some upstart who is disrespecting fighters who have years on him in the game. This is because they only really pay attention to him in the run up to a fight and only see the outspoken, getting in opponents head Conor, not the one who literally stops whatever he's doing so that (almost) everyone who asks him for a picture gets one.

You're missing my point completely. I'm all for the new fans. I'm not talking about the more knowledgeable long term fans. I'm more than happy to see people posting on here who are complete newbies but are "actual fans" and not just the jackasses that have landed recently and are either clones of the **** talking side of McG or the haters, both of whom are constantly trying to outdo eachother.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

lawred2 wrote: »
    It's a bloodsport for jackass thugs

quite right ole chap, tally ho

fox-hunting_2772078b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

lawred2 wrote: »
    It's a bloodsport for jackass thugs

Great film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Great film.
    Love a bit of Dim Mak I do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I actually said to a mate that a thread like this would appear.
    How is it begrudgery to enjoy a defeat of a fighter you don't even like and have never been a fan of?
    Is it begrudgery to see a rival football/soccer/rugby team lose and enjoy it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't think he's been attacked since his loss by Irish people.

There's a lot of discussion all right about how he fought the fight and how he lost it but really he hasn't gotten that much abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

its not "Irish begrudgery"...take a look at reddit...theres plenty of people around the world who were delighted to see him lose. I wouldnt let it annoy you, its the nature of his hype

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Meh, Sonnen, Brock, etc, this is nothing new or special, wait till Punk fights and we'll do it all again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

The negativity around this loss has been disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I actually haven't heard any begrudgery going CmcG's direction from Irish fans of the UFC.

I've seen a lot of bollox talk from just about every corner trying to lay blame on everyone and everything else but CmcG.

I think the stupidest, most retarded thread I've seen has been the one about CmcG's movement coach, but overwhelmingly CmcG has been supported by the Irish UFC fans.

Contrast that with the crap posted about Ronda Rousey when she lost (mostly by the same Irish fans) and what you have is even greater CmcG support.

I think you're wrong OP.

One thing I do think Irish people got cheesed off with, myself included and I'd know Conor pretty well, was when the trash talk went from banter and selling seats to personal insults and generally acting like a dick.. I think he forgot where the line in the sand was and people didn't like that.

All that aside he still has overwhelming support here in Ireland. I think we all wish him well and look forward to a strong comeback.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

One thing I do think Irish people got cheesed off with, myself included and I'd know Conor pretty well, was when the trash talk went from banter and selling seats to personal insults and generally acting like a dick.. I think he forgot where the line in the sand was and people didn't like that.

Agree with that. Loved him until after the Mendes fight, it's not just thrash talk anymore its all numbers..money, ppv buys ect.. This isn't trying to get in to an opponents head or sell fights, its just bragging about how rich he is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

I actually haven't heard any begrudgery going CmcG's direction from Irish fans of the UFC.

I've seen a lot of bollox talk from just about every corner trying to lay blame on everyone and everything else but CmcG.

I think the stupidest, most retarded thread I've seen has been the one about CmcG's movement coach, but overwhelmingly CmcG has been supported by the Irish UFC fans.

Contrast that with the crap posted about Ronda Rousey when she lost (mostly by the same Irish fans) and what you have is even greater CmcG support.

I think you're wrong OP.

All that aside he still has overwhelming support here in Ireland. I think we all wish him well and look forward to a strong comeback.

Matt Mittrione was on the mma hour and said similar,he got caught up in his own circus,nobody giving him a reality check surrounded by yes men ufc and media telling him the numbers were huge everything he done something like abusing an opponent so keep it up,I think and I posted at the time the jibes at Dos Anjos's kids were crossing the line,I think alls fair in fight promotion but families are off limits,

There was worse reality checks he could've got,losing without losing his belt is one of the better ways of it happening.

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Bet in 5 years Connor will be on coke and broke.

I never heard of MMA till everyone started talking about him.. What I hate is the mouth, the sorry tales of the hard life on the dole (he quit his job to go on the social. MMA training does not stop you holding down a plumbing job FFS) etc

I find him an arrogant twat that had that loss coming to him. And no.. He is not the "greatest" Irish sportsperson ever..

But we now have a generation of younger folks (and older but we cant talk about that) that think they are the next connor and punching someone is the way to sort stuff..

Think the scangers around Dublin are bad now? Wait till they start doing connors on you for your phone.

Abusing his skills and thrash talk is one thing,but this vile post is truly sickening 1am in the morning and your posting this personal vile? says a lot about you,get a life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Gamebred wrote: »
    Abusing his skills and thrash talk is one thing,but this vile post is truly sickening 1am in the morning and your posting this personal vile? says a lot about you,get a life.

Vile post?? Explain?

And I have a life thank you.. Post not the poster :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,323 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Gamebred wrote: »

keep you knickers on Shirley

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 215 ✭✭ceecee14

prinzeugen wrote:
    But we now have a generation of younger folks (and older but we cant talk about that) that think they are the next connor and punching someone is the way to sort stuff..

prinzeugen wrote:
    Think the scangers around Dublin are bad now? Wait till they start doing connors on you for your phone.

Most ridiculous thing I've ever read!!
    U think no one in Dublin knew how to throw a punch till Conor became news? And now suddenly they have learned what a punch is that they'll go around punching everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Bet in 5 years Connor will be on coke and broke.

I never heard of MMA till everyone started talking about him.. What I hate is the mouth, the sorry tales of the hard life on the dole (he quit his job to go on the social. MMA training does not stop you holding down a plumbing job FFS) etc

I find him an arrogant twat that had that loss coming to him. And no.. He is not the "greatest" Irish sportsperson ever..

You do know that ireland has a great history of boxing yeah? aaah I remember the chaos that ensued after carruth won his gold medal...the streets running red as the younger folk who had just learned what a punch was ran wild. They forgot what a punch was soon after from the head trauma but thankfully mcgregor has thought them this mysterious art once again. Hide yo kids..hide yo wife!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

evil_seed wrote: »
    I actually said to a mate that a thread like this would appear.
    How is it begrudgery to enjoy a defeat of a fighter you don't even like and have never been a fan of?
    Is it begrudgery to see a rival football/soccer/rugby team lose and enjoy it?

If they don't like him that's one thing.
    I'm talking about not liking him because he is successful.
    He is obnoxious hence the Notorious shtick he puts on.
    I find him fun and it's just a laugh.
    But to actually begrudge his talent and success is different and kicking him after a setback is worse and betrays a misery guts mindset that has nothing to do with McGregor himself but runs deeper.
    When Michael Flately made it big in dancing - a similar personality who is a self made man - the same hateful attitude was in evidence.
    Both men aren't shy about living it large and displaying their material success.
    I despise the haters who hate for the sake of it and without reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

paulieeye wrote: »
    You do know that ireland has a great history of boxing yeah? aaah I remember the chaos that ensued after carruth won his gold medal...the streets running red as the younger folk who had just learned what a punch was ran wild. They forgot what a punch was soon after from the head trauma but thankfully mcgregor has thought them this mysterious art once again. Hide yo kids..hide yo wife!!!!
    There was riots Joe, people behaving like animals Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

A few days removed and I've been thinking about the many negative comments/articles that have been produced in the wake of his loss.

It's like people are falling over themselves to stick the boot in and look, that's fair enough I guess.

Conor is such a polarising figure not just in Ireland but all over the world. People watch him to cheer him on. People tune in to watch him hopefully lose. Either way, it's win-win for Conor and the UFC given the amount of money he generates from PPV buys and the like.

I've been thinking about begrudgery and "bandwagoning". These are two terms that have been thrown around like mad the last few days.

I think there is a nasty undercurrent of "real MMA fans" vs "bandwagon fans" particularly from the shíte that has cropped up on my Facebook/Twitter pages from Irish people.

Knocking something because it's popular and people have flocked in their masses to watch MMA/UFC events. Almost like people thinking that Conor losing is the death knell of MMA popularity.

"Time to get off the bandwagon now lads" was one post I saw recently from a person who doesn't even like the sport.

I have seen similar posts from supposed hardcore fans almost thinking that Conor's loss will help reclaim the sport for the "real fans".

I hate this kinda crap. I really do.

I haven't seen it crop up on this forum for a while thankfully and the "bandwagon" term needs to be ban worthy in my opinion.

But going back to begrudgery, I've decided to stop giving out to people for taking joy in Conor's defeat. As I say, he's a polarising figure and he will invoke strong emotions/reactions in people.

Different fighters invoke certain reactions in me and there have been times when I've wanted fighters to lose for whatever reason. I appreciate everything they do to compete and stepping into a cage takes balls so fair dues.

It's the same for most sports I think. I'm a Bohs fan and I almost take pleasure from Shamrock Rovers losing. Ok, football is totally different because it's more of a tribal/community thing but just because Conor is Irish doesn't necessarily mean that he commands support from all corners of the island.

I'm a big fan of Conor but like most, I've only been made aware of him since he stepped into the Octagon for the first time but I've been watching the sport for ages.

I didn't always like him either but once I twigged what he was doing after the ACL injury, I had the utmost respect for him in keeping himself relevant by taking on that cocky persona in selling fights.

But, I totally understand why he isn't liked by many.

It's an unfortunate factor in sports but I think we just have to accept it. What we shouldn't accept is the "real fan" vs "newbie fan". That helps nobody.

Honestly, regardless of whether people hate Conor's personality or not, I'm surprised that on an Irish forum, people can't commiserate with his loss IF ONLY because you all should be aware of the history of MMA, Judo, BJJ etc in Ireland. It's not long since our only MMA/BJJ schools were using children's gym mats and chit for training, using back alley garages, kids school gyms (lots still are)...I'm sure a lot of posters here were around during these formative years. You could go back into the archives of boards.ie and see the genesis of the sport in Ireland.

Compare this to the US where wrestlers (for example) start grappling in school at age 4, where their pursuit of wrestling is funded all the way through college, where it's a national sport, where every primary school has excellent facilities, where they can pursue it through to the olympics...it's like a night and day difference in the support that they get versus Irish trainers and trainees.

So I just can't understand Irish begrudgery over this, and there's been plenty (over on politics.ie there's a big thread on whether he should pay back his dole payments for example), because to think that such high level competitors have come from Ireland in such a short space of time is just mindblowing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

floorpie wrote: »
    Honestly, regardless of whether people hate Conor's personality or not, I'm surprised that on an Irish forum, people can't commiserate with his loss IF ONLY because you all should be aware of the history of MMA, Judo, BJJ etc in Ireland. It's not long since our only MMA/BJJ schools were using children's gym mats and chit for training, using back alley garages, kids school gyms (lots still are)...I'm sure a lot of posters here were around during these formative years. You could go back into the archives of boards.ie and see the genesis of the sport in Ireland.

Compare this to the US where wrestlers (for example) start grappling in school at age 4, where their pursuit of wrestling is funded all the way through college, where it's a national sport, where every primary school has excellent facilities, where they can pursue it through to the olympics...it's like a night and day difference in the support that they get versus Irish trainers and trainees.

So I just can't understand Irish begrudgery over this, and there's been plenty (over on politics.ie there's a big thread on whether he should pay back his dole payments for example), because to think that such high level competitors have come from Ireland in such a short space of time is just mindblowing for me.

Great post.

I honestly thought the bolded bit was a wind-up until I actually checked it for myself. No further proof needed that McGregor has become a victim of his own success.

Awh stop pay back his dole payments jesus chrsit almighty he has paid more in tax in the last 3 years than these people will earn in a lifetime.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Great post.

I honestly thought the bolded bit was a wind-up until I actually checked it for myself. No further proof needed that McGregor has become a victim of his own success.

It ain't no joke man. Even during our off-season the typical Irish person performs 10 sets of begrudgery a day backed up by the principles of progressive resistance and so on. I'm currently at my walking around weight for optimum jealousy and will be back to top form by summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Chris.

Had to check that thread on politics.ie after you mentioning it. The mind boggles as to what goes through some people's heads.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Great film.

VERRRRY good... but Brick, NOT HIT BACK!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

It ain't no joke man. Even during our off-season the typical Irish person performs 10 sets of begrudgery a day backed up by the principles of progressive resistance and so on. I'm currently at my walking around weight for optimum jealousy and will be back to top form by summer.

Takes a lot of dedication to be such colossal begrudging prick. Come fight night, you must be an insufferably miserable bastárd. :D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Why are mc gregor fans so.upset with people delighted he lost?

They are entitled to their view.

I dont listen.to media.around a mc gregor fight. I actively ignore it. (I do catch some of it through twitter etc)

Smack talkers are always in danger as soon as they lose. He's a big boy im sure he can take it. I wonder why his fan boys are so butt hurt.

Possibly regretting the man bun & dickie bow combo.

Advertisement