Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miserable Irish Begrudgery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,641 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

floorpie wrote: »
    So I just can't understand Irish begrudgery over this, and there's been plenty (over on politics.ie there's a big thread on whether he should pay back his dole payments for example), because to think that such high level competitors have come from Ireland in such a short space of time is just mindblowing for me.

I wouldn't pay any notice of politics.ie. It used to be quite a well run site a few years back but nowadays it has been taken over by party hacks squabbling amongst each other and the better posters have migrated elsewhere. My guess is that the people calling for him to give his dole back are the same lot who would try to convince you that Irish people on the dole caused the entire economic crash, are lazy, never work a day in their life, etc, etc. All this despite the fact that during the boom we had the EUs lowest unemployment figures, proving that we are not lazy provided there are actually enough jobs out there for everyone. There simply isn't enough jobs which is why over 250,000 young Irish have emigrated since 2010. But facts like that won't stop your average Young Fine Gaeler posting bile on politics.ie about people unfortunate to lose their jobs.

In any case Mcgregor will have tax bills in the millions, he is a one man Revenue funding machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭josephryan1989

I actually haven't heard any begrudgery going CmcG's direction from Irish fans of the UFC.

I've seen a lot of bollox talk from just about every corner trying to lay blame on everyone and everything else but CmcG.

I think the stupidest, most retarded thread I've seen has been the one about CmcG's movement coach, but overwhelmingly CmcG has been supported by the Irish UFC fans.

Contrast that with the crap posted about Ronda Rousey when she lost (mostly by the same Irish fans) and what you have is even greater CmcG support.

I think you're wrong OP.

One thing I do think Irish people got cheesed off with, myself included and I'd know Conor pretty well, was when the trash talk went from banter and selling seats to personal insults and generally acting like a dick.. I think he forgot where the line in the sand was and people didn't like that.

All that aside he still has overwhelming support here in Ireland. I think we all wish him well and look forward to a strong comeback.

I quite like that he acts the cheeky b*llix actually. He's just being himself and he can back it up because behind all the lip he just trains and trains and trains and that's why he is the best in his weight. Fair play to him for having a go at a higher weight and bar that slip up when he tried that take down he might have won.
    He's such a positive role model.
    Try and you can succeed and if you lose just try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

I'll support an Irish team as they are representing the country and are a collection of different individuals. McGregor is representing himself so I will judge him just like any other international sports person. He was talking the big money game from very early on when he was making peanuts which turned me against him.
    I don't actually begrudge him the money he as actually made the past two fights. I say fair play, bull**** sells.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I'll support an Irish team as they are representing the country and are a collection of different individuals. McGregor is representing himself so I will judge him just like any other international sports person. He was talking the big money game from very early on when he was making peanuts which turned me against him.
    I don't actually begrudge him the money he as actually made the past two fights. I say fair play, bull**** sells.

But do you not get that because he talked the big money game when he was making peanuts it actually got him to this point? Where he's a multi millionaire? If had been the quiet, self depreciating typical irish man he would be probably still making peanuts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Ill say this,

How is humble Joe Duffy getting on in the ufc? not results wise but promotional wise,he is getting little or no push because hes too quiet,holds a win over mma's biggest star and no casuals have a clue who he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭xtal191

Ah to be fair they prob would've pushed Duffy like crazy if he had beaten Poirier in a convincing manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Gamebred wrote: »
    Ill say this,

How is humble Joe Duffy getting on in the ufc? not results wise but promotional wise,he is getting little or no push because hes too quiet,holds a win over mma's biggest star and no casuals have a clue who he is.

That last man to beat McGregor tag isnt much use to him now

to be honest we've no idea where he pays his tax - he earns most of his money in the US so he would pay tax on that income there first. (double tax treaty and all that).

if he's out of ireland for more than 6 months of the year he mightn't pay any tax here. (non resident)

as other posters have said he's such a polarising figure that you it's not so easy to conveniently label not liking him as begrudgery.

his style of propoganda took a turn for the worse in the last 6 months - if he toned that back he'd be more likable. he's already made his name so the need for that stuff is less.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

glasso wrote: »
    to be honest we've no idea where he pays his tax - he earns most of his money in the US so he would pay tax on that income there first. (double tax treaty and all that).

if he's out of ireland for more than 6 months of the year he mightn't pay any tax here. (non resident)

as other posters have said he's such a polarising figure that you it's not so easy to conveniently label not liking him as begrudgery.

his style of propoganda took a turn for the worse in the last 6 months - if he toned that back he'd be more likable. he's already made his name so the need for that stuff is less.

He was gonna have to change it up eventually whether he won or lost the Diaz fight-it gets a bit old after a while

LaGlisse wrote: »
    He was gonna have to change it up eventually whether he won or lost the Diaz fight-it gets a bit old after a while

we will see! a recent defeat will have to "soften his cough" a bit as I heard one commentator say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

I think it was Yeats who compared the Irish to a sow who eats its farrow

It was Joyce ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

I think it was Yeats who compared the Irish to a sow who eats its farrow.........

fruvai wrote: »
    It was Joyce ;)

Gentlemen, can we keep the high brow stuff and literature references to a minimum please?

Don't you know this sport is only for unwashed ruffians, or havent you read any of the broadsheets in the last few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

With his trash talking and cocky attitude, many out there were waiting for the downfall of Conor, even some of his fellow country men and women. They got it now and for sure they aren't going to let him or his fans forget it. I'm sure he will always have a strong support from the Irish crowd, I think though it won't be the number 1 ticket in town it once was as I feel this loss has lost him some of that aura and commercial appeal he had. He has to go back on a winning streak, he probably should just stick to his division for now and get some of that swag back. The defeat will humble him behind the scenes but he won't show it in front of the cameras. The one thing is he can't afford to lose any more fights for a while now, he needs to go on another winning streak cause another defeat could really set him back.

do you think a fight in the Aviva or Croke park (if UFC ever bought a event here) would seriously be effected by this defeat? Will Conor still have the pull he once had to sell it out, I'm sure some UFC irish fans will turn up without liking Conor but will they be able to fill a big stadium like them. That be the real question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Lisacatlover

Nothing to do with being Irish. Half of the USA wanted Manny Pacquaoi to lay out Mayweather, and a little too of other people that fought him. Americans regularly wanted Muhammed Ali to lose, and creamed themselves when Frasier beat him. Lots of French football fans didn't like Eric Cantona. Plenty of Englishmen were delighted to see Audrey Harrison lose.

There's people the world over for whom arrogance/extreme confidence/whatever, just rubs them up the wrong way. When that whatever is taken to the extreme of talking thrash about your opponents, making predictions about how easily you're going to beat them because of how much better you are than them, and saying you back up everything you say, then failing to back it up, then people are going to gloat right back.

The humble opponent beating the loud mouthed cocky guy has been a thing in Hollywood since they first started making sports movies.

It's a people thing, not an Irish thing. And to be honest I don't know why people get so upset and despairing on behalf of the losing opponent because of it. They always know what they're doing and fully expect and accept the backlash will be there when they can't back it up some time, comes with the territory. It's all in the game. I think I'd be a little embarrassed if other people were getting all uppity on my behalf when people started taking digs when the opportunity arises, when I'd been throwing them the whole time too.

yeah I get all that but even this boring yoke is at it!!

hasn't a clue and decides waiting for a loss is now the best time to write about Mr McGregor!!! something tells me she's had pen at the ready ever since she realised eating 3 raisins and having the scutters does not an interesting sports person make!!

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/sonia-o-sullivan-is-mma-really-sport-if-it-enters-the-death-zone-1.2566557

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

rusty cole wrote: »

hasn't a clue and decides waiting for a loss is now the best time to write about Mr McGregor!!! something tells me she's had pen at the ready ever since she realised eating 3 raisins and having the scutters does not an interesting sports person make!!

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/sonia-o-sullivan-is-mma-really-sport-if-it-enters-the-death-zone-1.2566557

Apparently they kill each other in MMA now, who knew?

Looking forward to them introducing weapons and armour so we can go back to Roman gladiator fights.

Word of warning: Don't read the fcuking comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

"The death zone" ~ Jebus, mountain climbing is a sport and a full 25% of people who'll try climb Everest this year will die. A lot of the time their bodies shall never be recovered, and she's worried about superficial cuts & a choke in MMA lol.

that's what annoys me, I guarantee you conor mcgregor would not hit the keyboard where she to lose a big race, unpalatable to many yes, but we can clearly see his patriotic side in abundance.

did anybody explain that holly chose to get choked out??

also by her own stupid admission, she's watched a sum total of 8 seconds of MMA!! now she has a printworthy opinion on it!!

did anybody explain that holly chose to get choked out??

That's women for ya, often times they've more balls than men :D

That's women for ya, often times they've more balls than men :D

funny joke, wasn't my point but yes I get ya, and it does raise a great point, fair play to her, what a brave soul. that's how much it meant to her that she was willing to try hold out for the bell!!

so tell me how that rousey cow is more deserving of a title shot!!

Dana white the snake!

• Advertisement

funny joke, wasn't my point but yes I get ya, and it does raise a great point, fair play to her, what a brave soul. that's how much it meant to her that she was willing to try hold out for the bell!!

so tell me how that rousey cow is more deserving of a title shot!!

Dana white the snake!

Because here's the thing about the UFC ~ it is NOT a sport, its an entertainments promotion. People would do well to remember this, MMA is a sport ~ the UFC certainly isn't.

And tbh I'd be a lot more entertained seeing Rousey fight for the title again over just about anyone else. Most likely she'd beat Tate, then Holly might be in with another shout ~ I'm sure you get the picture.

Also most here who shouted loudest and defended CmcG after his defeat weren't so charitable to Rousey on her defeat, and yes I get that Ronda was less than sporting to some of her opponents and she was shouted down for it ~ but when CmcG gave Siver the finger he was a legend ~ go figure!.

There's begrudgery AND hypocrisy all in one :D

Because here's the thing about the UFC ~ it is NOT a sport, its an entertainments promotion. People would do well to remember this, MMA is a sport ~ the UFC certainly isn't.

And tbh I'd be a lot more entertained seeing Rousey fight for the title again over just about anyone else. Most likely she'd beat Tate, then Holly might be in with another shout ~ I'm sure you get the picture.

Also most here who shouted loudest and defended CmcG after his defeat weren't so charitable to Rousey on her defeat, and yes I get that Ronda was less than sporting to some of her opponents and she was shouted down for it ~ but when CmcG gave Siver the finger he was a legend ~ go figure!.

There's begrudgery AND hypocrisy all in one :D

bad example there , RE : Siver.
    Build up to the fight, all the ususal hype, fight game being the fight game etc, midget this, one hit wonder that, steroids this, hype train the other.

come the night, mcgregor puts the hand out and gets spurned, hence the finger! not quite the same as rousey at all, her behaviour on TUF to tate was unreal, c'mon. compared to mcgregors, who was facing mendes team mate and they still kept it fun, gifts even exchanged.

she's a nasty piece of work, I don't see the comparison and all the lengthy threads in the world wont convince me of that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Build up to the fight, all the ususal hype, fight game being the fight game etc, midget this, one hit wonder that, steroids this, hype train the other.

come the night, mcgregor puts the hand out and gets spurned, hence the finger! not quite the same as rousey at all, her behaviour on TUF to tate was unreal, c'mon. compared to mcgregors, who was facing mendes team mate and they still kept it fun, gifts even exchanged.

she's a nasty piece of work, I don't see the comparison and all the lengthy threads in the world wont convince me of that.
    Don't forget when he called him a Nazi, which is a serious accusation for a German. I really don't see how you can defend the finger, there was no apology from Conor that I am aware of?

Is it worth hypothesising that perhaps a lot of the flak conor got online after his loss was maybe more directed at some of his fans than him?

I don't watch TUF, tried it a few times but I couldn't be arsed so I've no idea what she was like on it.

What we see in the limelight is a tiny, tiny bit of the fighters real life, mostly you're seeing a total lie, a mock up of the person they want you to follow ~ they're putting bums on seats, simple as.

As regards lengthy threads, I don't get into them and rarely post. Mostly these threads are full of fanboy blow in's. In truth I'm only posting now as I'm off work and training with an injury and I'm bored stupid :(

Seriously, pre and post fight behavior is just show business. But dealing with a loss is very personal, some people can immediately hold their head high, collect their thoughts and move on. Others have to go off to lick their wounds and collect their thoughts on their loss.

Either way not matter how a fighter deals with a win or loss I try not stand in judgement over them ~ I've had more losses than win's, mostly I take a few days to myself, lick my wounds and get back into training after a short break, but I'm not making millions so I don't have to care about anyone's opinions :P

Don't forget when he called him a Nazi, which is a serious accusation for a German. I really don't see how you can defend the finger, there was no apology that I am aware of?

Is it worth hypothesising that perhaps a lot of the flak conor got online after his loss was maybe more directed at some of his fans than him?

I never defended it, I compared it.
    and the Nazi thing though not nice, was in the context of verbal sparring.
    it's not worth hypothesizing the vitriol was aimed at fans more so, it's a fact that it was, you're 100% correct. In the same way fans forget about the team and decide to pi** on each other as a tribe, via millwall and chelsea for example.

I just don't think he's near as bad as rousey. I love her athleticism, her competitiveness and drive but she's a lousey person end of story.
    her treatment of tate just proves this, as was her hatred of Holm. she went from naught to psycho via twitter in minutes!! weirdo of the highest order. then goes on Ellen crying like a child!!

I just don't think he's near as bad as rousey. I love her athleticism, her competitiveness and drive but she's a lousey person end of story.

Rowdy Lousey Rhonda Rousey

Sorry, couldn't resist...

and a new moniker is born!!

lousey by name, lousey by nature.
    she couldn't say enough about edmund when she was winning, one loss and even her own mama is throwing him under the bus.
    sign of a bad loser. I know conor was talking about energy and efficiency, which is a jazzy way of saying I got outworked but he;s not crying on national talk shows talking about killing himself.

and a new moniker is born!!

lousey by name, lousey by nature.
    she couldn't say enough about edmund when she was winning, one loss and even her own mama is throwing him under the bus.
    sign of a bad loser. I know conor was talking about energy and efficiency, which is a jazzy way of saying I got outworked but he;s not crying on national talk shows talking about killing himself.

Read her autobiography, her mother hates Edmund from the off.

As for her crying about killing herself, thats a little insensitive of you.

Her father commit suicide when Ronda was eight years old, and evidence shows that when a parent dies by suicide that parent almost certainly puts at least one of their children on the path to contemplating suicide at some later point in their lives.

I seen that interview and thought it was cringy but I'd never ignore or mock someone opening up about taking their own life.. Thats a bit lousey of you IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I for one was aching to hear what Sonia had to say about MMA. :pac:

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    I for one was aching to hear what Sonia had to say about MMA. :pac:

Very insightful wasn't it? :P

Advertisement