Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you want from a blog? [no names please]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

I joined facebook a month ago for the first time. What I want from it as a blog:
    • a place to befriend other facebookers with similar interests..
    • so I can give a 'like' to good stuff they put on facebook.....for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭doireannod

I like blogs to be elegant, pretty and aesthetically pleasing. I like pretty pictures. I don't like overly photoshopped and clearly edited pictures. Love a nice, pretty filter.

Dislike oversharing. Dislike looking at rubbish, mundane things like grocery shopping. I don't want to look at Penney's or Tesco "hauls". I don't want to see "hauls" at all. It's usually a pile of rubbish. I feel it's a wasteful and it shouldn't be promoted. We shouldn't be encouraged to go out and waste 50e on rubbish from Penneys.

I like the odd nod to fitness to show that the blogger cares about her health. I don't like incessant images of food, gym selfies, torso selfies, more food, more gym, protein bars, more food etc.

I particularly dislike when I feel bloggers are delusional. My pet peeve is when a blogger describes herself as a "girl boss". A woman in her late twenties living at home with her parents is not anybody's idea of a successful woman. A successful woman or a "girl boss" is a woman making it out there in the world by herself (or as a part of team with her boyfriend or husband); a woman who pays her bills as well as paying for her shoes and bags. Life isn't all make up and nail varnish. It's mostly mortgage repayments, bin and water charges and esb bills. I don't want bloggers to share their monthly expenses; I know that the bloggers who are out doing their own thing are taking care of the above privately. But those living at home with mammy and daddy and describing themselves as a "boss" is just delusional to me. Once one of these bloggers complained that there wasn't eggs in her mother's fridge. Not acceptable beyond the age of 24 in my opinion. "24 -out the door!" - what happened to this?! These delusional bloggers are setting a poor example for their young followers. But more fool those young girls if they believe that these bloggers are aspirational.

I don't like too much "reality". I have enough reality in my daily life! I want to look at something pretty!

Another weird, random thing I dislike is when there are hashtags put on photos that are totally unrelated to the photo eg. #girlswholift and #sheliftsbro under a photo of someone wearing a dress on a night out. Makes no sense to me.

My favourites and the women I find inspirational are Erika Fox, Rosanna Davison and Pippa. Rosie Connolly is also nice lately. She posts pretty pictures, has lovely style, seems like a nice mom, doesn't over share rubbish and is making it on her own. I also quite like Lisa Jordan. Again, she's pretty and doesn't over share.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

doireannod wrote: »
    I like blogs to be elegant, pretty and aesthetically pleasing. I like pretty pictures. I don't like overly photoshopped and clearly edited pictures. Love a nice, pretty filter.

Dislike oversharing. Dislike looking at rubbish, mundane things like grocery shopping. I don't want to look at Penney's or Tesco "hauls". I don't want to see "hauls" at all. It's usually a pile of rubbish. I feel it's a wasteful and it shouldn't be promoted. We shouldn't be encouraged to go out and waste 50e on rubbish from Penneys.

I like the odd nod to fitness to show that the blogger cares about her health. I don't like incessant images of food, gym selfies, torso selfies, more food, more gym, protein bars, more food etc.

I particularly dislike when I feel bloggers are delusional. My pet peeve is when a blogger describes herself as a "girl boss". A woman in her late twenties living at home with her parents is not anybody's idea of a successful woman. A successful woman or a "girl boss" is a woman making it out there in the world by herself (or as a part of team with her boyfriend or husband); a woman who pays her bills as well as paying for her shoes and bags. Life isn't all make up and nail varnish. It's mostly mortgage repayments, bin and water charges and esb bills. I don't want bloggers to share their monthly expenses; I know that the bloggers who are out doing their own thing are taking care of the above privately. But those living at home with mammy and daddy and describing themselves as a "boss" is just delusional to me. Once one of these bloggers complained that there wasn't eggs in her mother's fridge. Not acceptable beyond the age of 24 in my opinion. "24 -out the door!" - what happened to this?! These delusional bloggers are setting a poor example for their young followers. But more fool those young girls if they believe that these bloggers are aspirational.

I don't like too much "reality". I have enough reality in my daily life! I want to look at something pretty!

Another weird, random thing I dislike is when there are hashtags put on photos that are totally unrelated to the photo eg. #girlswholift and #sheliftsbro under a photo of someone wearing a dress on a night out. Makes no sense to me.

My favourites and the women I find inspirational are Erika Fox, Rosanna Davison and Pippa. Rosie Connolly is also nice lately. She posts pretty pictures, has lovely style, seems like a nice mom, doesn't over share rubbish and is making it on her own. I also quite like Lisa Jordan. Again, she's pretty and doesn't over share.

No that's just your idea of a successful woman. If a woman lives with her parents what business of that is yours. How do you know if they don't pay rent/bills. How do you know a person living away from home didn't receive money to help them. I don't base someone's success on what money they have or don't have. My viewpoint isn't so narrow. I look for make-up and clothes reviews in a blog. In fact I don't care what else they spend their money on because it's not my business. I enjoy pennys hauls because they regularly have new clothes and I don't want to miss something.

No that's just your idea of a successful woman. If a woman lives with her parents what business of that is yours. How do you know if they don't pay rent/bills. How do you know a person living away from home didn't receive money to help them. I don't base someone's success on what money they have or don't have. My viewpoint isn't so narrow. I look for make-up and clothes reviews in a blog. In fact I don't care what else they spend their money on because it's not my business. I enjoy pennys hauls because they regularly have new clothes and I don't want to miss something.

Yes exactly. That is my idea of a successful woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

Your whole post would be exactly how I feel about blogging, minus the last paragraph. There are 1 or maybe 2 bloggers I'm not fond of at all because of their content or ideas of style /makeup. Otherwise thumbs up!

• Advertisement

Yes exactly. That is my idea of a successful woman.

Well I think your opinion does more damage to people than any blogger saying she's a girl boss. Anyway I can see why bloggers get annoyed by comments. Those kind of comments cross a line. It is no ones business how anyone spends their money and where they decide to live.

Well I think your opinion does more damage to people than any blogger saying she's a girl boss. Anyway I can see why bloggers get annoyed by comments. Those kind of comments cross a line. It is no ones business how anyone spends their money and where they decide to live.

I don't think it's damaging at all to broadly say that being successful means having a job and being self sufficient by age 30. How is this damaging?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I don't think it's damaging at all to broadly say that being successful means having a job and being self sufficient by age 30. How is this damaging?

She has a job. It's just not a job you see as traditional. I know who you're talking about because it's as clear as the nose on my face and while I don't like that blogger either I don't think your comments regarding her living at home are warranted.

And given the current economic climate there is absolutely nothing wrong with people in their 20's staying at home to save for a house.

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    She has a job. It's just not a job you see as traditional. I know who you're talking about because it's as clear as the nose on my face and while I don't like that blogger either I don't think your comments regarding her living at home are warranted.

And given the current economic climate there is absolutely nothing wrong with people in their 20's staying at home to save for a house.

There are 3 bloggers that come to mind here for me. I personally think it's delusional to describe oneself as a "girl boss" in this circumstance. That's just my opinion on it. Each to their own.

If a person reads this and they haven't a job does that mean they are unsuccessful? If a person lives at home with their parents are you saying that they are unsuccessful. How about those who have financial trouble, health problems, family issues, relationship issues. What I'm saying is that success comes in different forms. Of course its ideal to be financially self sufficient, but if you aren't then you are not a failure.

A blogger blogs about their life. There is constructive and unconstructive criticism. I think your original opinion is unconstructive.

• Advertisement

If a person reads this and they haven't a job does that mean they are unsuccessful? If a person lives at home with their parents are you saying that they are unsuccessful. How about those who have financial trouble, health problems, family issues, relationship issues. What I'm saying is that success comes in different forms. Of course its ideal to be financially self sufficient, but if you aren't then you are not a failure.

A blogger blogs about their life. There is constructive and unconstructive criticism. I think your original opinion is unconstructive.

Yes there are certainly a lot of different measures of success. But "girl boss" infers financial and career success, not success in family life or relationships. I think somebody who is portraying themselves to be successful in this way and reminding us of same almost daily should surely be financially independent. And I don't think it's unconstructive. I think it's highlighting a need for more self awareness and less bragging about your perceived success.

Yes there are certainly a lot of different measures of success. But "girl boss" infers financial and career success, not success in family life or relationships. I think somebody who is portraying themselves to be successful in this way and reminding us of same almost daily should surely be financially independent. And I don't think it's unconstructive. I think it's highlighting a need for more self awareness and less bragging about your perceived success.

Yes I can see where you are coming from now. A bit of more self awareness and less bragging could be beneficial regardless of one's success.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

SB_Part2 wrote: »

No I think she is quite right. While I have no problem with someone living at home advising me about what mascara to use, I find it a bit more questionable if it is a lifestyle blog. I know a lot of bloggers are successful(ish) because they sell an illusion of perfect life but it is a bit harder to stomach that if you know it all has to be subsidized by someone. Not that I like lifestyle bloggers anyway but there is a bit more needed to be successful than the number of followers. For some it could be quality of reviews they do even though it's just a hobby but if it is a business then it's only a successful if you can support yourself. Taking pictures of yourself going to gym and complaining about there being no eggs in the fridge isn't exactly the same as a broke artist painting next Guernica in the shed at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

I would like to see more unique purchases.
    Lots of Christian Louboutin and Louis Vuitton purchased quite regularly but I'd like to see some lesser known but good quality leather bags

Now obviously I can't dictate what a blogger buys but I feel for many the focus is on big big names while there are so many other good brands that would be more accessible to readers. Not that the reader should be their only focus but variety would be nice.

Obviously it's the persons choice what they want to buy but its a bit tiresome to see the exact same purchases. The same Louis, the same YSL bag (three bloggers inmediatley come to mind with this one) or the 'classic' Chanel.

I don't necessarily mean I should have an opinion on what they buy but there are some fab handbag brands out there that get little or no attention. And the repitition of the same big names feels like it's just a status symbol and little else.

Not criticizing at all just my own observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

I've been following this thread but just haven't had the time to reply.
    So i'm gonna stick my two cents in.

What i would mainly like from a blogger is bargain alerts and dupes! Plus some heads up on sales and best item picks from sales.
    I'm a sucker for a bargain! ;)

Plus grammar is very important!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

ameliams wrote: »
    I would like to see more unique purchases.
    Lots of Christian Louboutin and Louis Vuitton purchased quite regularly but I'd like to see some lesser known but good quality leather bags

Now obviously I can't dictate what a blogger buys but I feel for many the focus is on big big names while there are so many other good brands that would be more accessible to readers. Not that the reader should be their only focus but variety would be nice.

Obviously it's the persons choice what they want to buy but its a bit tiresome to see the exact same purchases. The same Louis, the same YSL bag (three bloggers inmediatley come to mind with this one) or the 'classic' Chanel.

I don't necessarily mean I should have an opinion on what they buy but there are some fab handbag brands out there that get little or no attention. And the repitition of the same big names feels like it's just a status symbol and little else.

Not criticizing at all just my own observation.

+1 to this. The designer pieces you mentioned are lovely of course, but it gets old after the first five bloggers have Instagrammed/Snapchatted/Tweeted it to death. Same goes for luxury beauty launches, I can read one review and disregard the rest.

So I guess I'd like to see a greater variety of content. I skip past 70% of new posts on Bloglovin' because originality and diversity are becoming harder to find.

Good grammar, navigable layout and beautiful images go a long way towards keeping me coming back for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fitzytour

Jaysus, seems everyone is taking this blogging thing a bit too seriously!! Im not a fan of bloggers myself but each to their own. I just stopped following them when I got bored. I think this boards thread is a demonstration of First World Problems at their finest!! There clearly are people out there who like bloggers, otherwise they would not be able to make a career out of it....if you dont like what they are putting up just stop following them..no point getting angry/bitchy over something as trivial when there are a lot more important things going on in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭scarbouro

fitzytour wrote: »
    Jaysus, seems everyone is taking this blogging thing a bit too seriously!! Im not a fan of bloggers myself but each to their own. I just stopped following them when I got bored. I think this boards thread is a demonstration of First World Problems at their finest!! There clearly are people out there who like bloggers, otherwise they would not be able to make a career out of it....if you dont like what they are putting up just stop following them..no point getting angry/bitchy over something as trivial when there are a lot more important things going on in the world!

You came on to a thread about blogging and a thread asking people what they want to see in a blog, to tell us that you're not a fan of bloggers! Really?! No one is getting angry, they are just pointing out what they'd like to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fitzytour

scarbouro wrote: »
    You came on to a thread about blogging and a thread asking people what they want to see in a blog, to tell us that you're not a fan of bloggers! Really?! No one is getting angry, they are just pointing out what they'd like to see.

It popped up on the Latest Posts on the Boards.ie homepage :P

fitzytour wrote: »

Holy God. Very little on Boards goes beyond the scope of first world problems. There's a thread called "trivial things that annoy me". Trivial annoyances are so commonly discussed on Boards that it's even been abbreviated to "TA". Isn't that what we do on Boards? Just vent a bit. If we wanted to discuss important issues and affect change we'd get in to politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JellieBabie

meeeeh wrote: »
    Where did I say how much I earn? I said I know how much you have to pay to get anyone half skilled. I am on no great money as many other small employers we skipped any luxuries and sometimes also our own income to keep the business alive during recession. Frankly some snotty kid who probably still gets pocket money will not lecture me on how much people who work for us or ourselves should be paid. And if thinking that people deserve half decent money for decent work makes arrogant then so be it.

BTW don't bs me with a starting salary, tell me how many nurses would be happy with that kind of money after three years of work?

This post is laughable. I am not a snotty nosed kid, I am in my late 20s. I merely pointed out that some people are highly skilled and their pay rate doesn't recognise that. Your obnoxious and rude reply merely shows yourself up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

This post is laughable. I am not a snotty nosed kid, I am in my late 20s. I merely pointed out that some people are highly skilled and their pay rate doesn't recognise that. Your obnoxious and rude reply merely shows yourself up.

About three pages too late for me to bother with response.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

JellieBabie and meeeeh, see you both Sunday morning.
    Let's get back on topic now, thanks

The blogger having a modicum of class is also something that's important to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I must admit that I'm disappointed that this thread is focussing so much on the Beauty/Fashion/Lifestyle blogger category. There are lots of other types of blogs out there. It would be to see what good blogs have in common, regardless of category.

I read a fairly wide variety of blogs. Obviously, mainly food & wine, but also some blogs about physics, science, technology, travel and other topics. It's an eclectic mix, but I like them all as each blog is good at what they do. I used to use Google Reader, but I had to switch to The Old Reader when Google discontinued the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

dudara wrote: »
    I must admit that I'm disappointed that this thread is focussing so much on the Beauty/Fashion/Lifestyle blogger category. There are lots of other types of blogs out there. It would be to see what good blogs have in common, regardless of category.

I read a fairly wide variety of blogs. Obviously, mainly food & wine, but also some blogs about physics, science, technology, travel and other topics. It's an eclectic mix, but I like them all as each blog is good at what they do. I used to use Google Reader, but I had to switch to The Old Reader when Google discontinued the service.

I guess it's just a testament to what has dominated the market so much in Ireland. It seems to be mainly makeup and fashion related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

anna080 wrote: »
    I guess it's just a testament to what has dominated the market so much in Ireland. It seems to be mainly makeup and fashion related.

Also, the thread actually started over in fashion and beauty so it has just continued on in the same vein as it started. Maybe it could be renamed to reflect its content and avoid it being turned in to a more general blogging thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The thread does have a general name, to be fair and the intention of moving the discussion here was to open it up as a general blogging thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The thread does have a general name, to be fair and the intention of moving the discussion here was to open it up as a general blogging thread.

Well that's great that the option is there, but if people mostly want to talk about beauty blogging that shouldn't be cast as a negative thing. That's great that you've other blogging interests that aren't beauty related but you've only just mentioned those there yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Hopeful2016

Maybe that should be a separate thread? If people want a thread discussing beauty and lifestyle bloggers that should be allowed. There doesn't seem to be much appetite on this thread for other types of blogs, other than the interest you've expressed yourself. Maybe separate threads might be the answer.

Advertisement