Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think a referendum on abortion would be passed?(not how you'd vote)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

CaraMay wrote: »
    You're not much of a friend if you think she's backward for not believing in abortion. I think it's a very primal response. You either agree with it in your gut or you don't.

I was terribly backward when, to my shame, I once argued against abortion. It was a backwards view that I've since come to realize mainly came from the religious schools I attended. I'm staunchly pro-choice now.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The SSM referendum campaign will seems like a sunny stroll in the park compared to the sort of sh1te and vitriol that'd be flung around on an abortion referendum.

Yeah, I think I'd have to leave the country for the run up and then just return on the day of the vote. Couldn't handle all that being blasted at all angles for months on end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

In another 10 years, Yes.

I think the demographic is still not there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

lazygal wrote: »
    I was terribly backward when, to my shame, I once argued against abortion. It was a backwards view that I've since come to realize mainly came from the religious schools I attended. I'm staunchly pro-choice now.

See, here's the problem with too many people. Instead of trying to understand where the other side is coming from, you just dismiss their opinions as "backwards". That's an unbelievably small minded and arrogant attitude. Sadly it works that way on the other side as well. There's no such thing as reasoned and intelligent debate in this country any more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Ice Maiden

What use is there in insulting people by calling them backwards? :confused:
    I'm pro-choice too but people who are pro-life and reasonable with it (and they exist) don't deserve to be insulted.

• Advertisement

There's no such thing as reasoned and intelligent debate in this country any more
    There is, but it gets drowned out.

See, here's the problem with too many people. Instead of trying to understand where the other side is coming from, you just dismiss their opinions as "backwards". That's an unbelievably small minded and arrogant attitude. Sadly it works that way on the other side as well. There's no such thing as reasoned and intelligent debate in this country any more
    It was my opinion I called backwards. I held backwards views. Am I not allowed to call previously held views backwards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

All it does is make it difficult for girls and women who can't travel to access abortion.

You can travel to the UK for buttons these days.

Berserker wrote: »
    That line doesn't really fly any more. You can travel to the UK for buttons these days.

If you have the money. An abortion can cost two grand. And there's non financial reasons women can't travel.
    How is the unborn protected anyway, when women have the right to travel for abortions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Ice Maiden wrote: »
    What use is there in insulting people by calling them backwards? :confused:
    I'm pro-choice too but people who are pro-life and reasonable with it (and they exist) don't deserve to be insulted.

Can we stop calling them "pro-life" and call them by the name which is more suitable... "Anti-choice"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

CaraMay wrote: »
    You're not much of a friend if you think she's backward for not believing in abortion. I think it's a very primal response. You either agree with it in your gut or you don't.

To be honest, for many reasons she isn't much of a friend either, but that's not what is being discussed here. I was merely agreeing with the point that it is not just the elder generation than mine that does not agree with abortion.

Toots wrote: »
    Yeah, I think I'd have to leave the country for the run up and then just return on the day of the vote. Couldn't handle all that being blasted at all angles for months on end.

The abortion referenda which have taken place in the past have been incredibly passionate affairs. I believe (hope) that a referendum on the matter in 2016 would be more mature affair.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The abortion referenda which have taken place in the past have been incredibly passionate affairs. I believe (hope) that a referendum on the matter in 2016 would be more mature affair.

We could hope, but if the carry on in the marriage equality referendum was anything to go by, the odds are on it won't be.

You can travel to the UK for buttons these days.
    That's not the point - they shouldn't have to travel anyway. There is more to it than the money.

Definitely voting no myself if the referendum happens and hopefully it's doesn't. If it does it will be close but I'd be hopeful there are still enough decent people in the country that it wouldn't pass. i can see a big bandwagon coming back again like the vote last year, you didn't see them for the immeasurably more important general election last week.

I'd be hopeful there are still enough decent people in the county that it wouldn't pass.

What a sad sad comment.

Definitely voting no myself if the referendum happens and hopefully it's doesn't. If it does it will be close but I'd be hopeful there are still enough decent people in the county that it wouldn't pass. i can see a big bandwagon coming back again like the vote last year, you didn't see them for the immeasurably more important general election last week.

I'd be a 'No' myself too but I can't see it not passing. What political party would run a 'No' campaign out of the current lot? FG are socially conservative apparently but Enda & Co. took the lefty stance on the marriage referendum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

It's hard to know how such a referendum would pan out, I'd imagine any referendum in the next 5-10 years would simply be to remove tge 8th amendment. Abortion on demand would not be on a ballot paper, hell would freeze over before either FG or FF granted us that sort of responsibility.

Anyway even if we are lucky enough to get an opportunity to remove the 8th ammendment I wouldn't be overly confident of that passing. I would however be confident that we'd have one of the most nasty, embittered campaigns ever witnessed in this country, that's a guarantee.

Look at all the silly shíte we had to put up with over something as mild as same sex marriage (which 734,300 people voted No to), now imagine the avalanche that would come with removing the 8th ammendment!

Definitely voting no myself if the referendum happens and hopefully it's doesn't. If it does it will be close but I'd be hopeful there are still enough decent people in the county that it wouldn't pass. i can see a big bandwagon coming back again like the vote last year, you didn't see them for the immeasurably more important general election last week.
    How does the eighth amendment make Ireland decent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Let me guess....

Devout Catholic. Male. Over 50.

• Advertisement

Let me guess....

Catholic. Male. Over 50.

Never going to be pregnant.
    Probably not too concerned about the born.

We don't allow people to kill unborn children except in the very extreme circumstance of the mothers life being in exceptional danger.

I'd consider not killing babies as something that would but you very high on the "decent" list
    Let me guess....

Catholic. Male. Over 50.

I'm only 31 and have the same opinion since I knew what abortion was. Being male and catholic are irrelevant to my opinion on it.

I'd be a 'No' myself too but I can't see it not passing. What political party would run a 'No' campaign out of the current lot? FG are socially conservative apparently but Enda & Co. took the lefty stance on the marriage referendum.

I know it was terrible after same sex marriage passed, I was forced to marry a man even though I'm not homosexual and thousands of children nationwide were left parentless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

smash wrote: »
    What a sad sad comment.

Agreed!
    Its amazing considering the number of childrens allowance, lone parent bashers on this forum.

We don't allow people to kill unborn children except in the very extreme circumstance of the mothers life being in exceptional danger.

I'd consider not killing babies as something that would but you very high on the "decent" list

They're not babies. They're either a zygotes or a foetus.

I'm only 31 and have the same opinion since I knew what abortion was.

But the eighth amendment was followed by the right to travel, even if you're planning to kill babies. Was that a decent thing to vote in favour of? Should it be repealed? If my life is in unexceptional danger should doctors be able to kill my baby to save my life?

It doesn't, it's actually the opposite, he just hasn't an iota what he's talking about and more importantly doesn't care about the rights of pregant women, so don't try and convince him, it's a waste of time.

deseil wrote: »
    Agreed!
    Its amazing considering the number of childrens allowance, lone parent bashers on this forum.

You're confusing pro life with pro children and pro parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

I genuinely think boards should restrict abortion discussions to the train wreck, sorry, thread, in A&A. The mudslinging on both sides by all the usual suspects is atrocious. Some people seem to be totally obsessed with this subject and will go around and around in satanically angry circles repeating themselves over and over
    Has anyone on either side ever had their mind changed on abortion by anything they read on here?
    My 2 cents is no it won't be passed. The tide is currently turning against abortion world wide, SSM was a different atmosphere, positive joyful love and romance
    I think the pro choice people are possibly very disappointed in the destruction of Labour in the GE and the general "tenor" of the candidates that people voted for.
    Of the 5 TDs elected in my constituency only 2 voted for abortion in 2013 and the other 3 (1 in particular) are vociferously pro life

• Advertisement

I know it was terrible after same sex marriage passed, I was forced to marry a man even though I'm not homosexual and thousands of children nationwide were left parentless!

I'm barely holding onto my two born kids. My gay friends are making worrying noises about exercising their right to be parents.

Advertisement