Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think a referendum on abortion would be passed?(not how you'd vote)

Options
1232425262729»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

One thing I always find strange about the abortion debate is the total lack of mention about the advent of the abortion pill. I think most people on both sides of the debate still see abortion as done in a back street clinic with forceps. But the reality is Irish women are having abortions every day of the week by buying pills online. A €70 donation to https://www.womenonweb.org/en/i-need-an-abortion will get you the pills you need from a doctor overseas. If you're broke they'll do it for free.

Like it or not abortion already exists in Ireland. And as we all know prohibition doesn't work. We might as well just face the world as it is, not how we want it to be. Anything else is sticking our heads in the sand because abortion will still happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

volchitsa wrote: »
    Some evidence for this please? My understanding is that most Scandinavian countries have rather lower rates than the UK and USA but I haven't looked at figures recently.

AFAIK this article draws on older figures but its a good article (and doesn't seem biased either way), Sweden seems like an outlier in comparison to other Nordics
    https://fullfact.org/health/uks-abortion-rate-unusual-compared-other-countries/
    volchitsa wrote: »
    Remember that the original point was about surgery being seen as preferable to taking a pill. So I do hope you haven't done anything disingenuous like include the figures for medical abortions as part of your claim that women are quite likely to opt for surgery instead of taking a pill?

True your right since I'm guessing these days thats probably large majority (not looking it up: Bed!) wouldn't apply to surgery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

RayM wrote: »
    I have no respect for the argument that abortion should be legal in the case of rape or incest. You either believe a woman should have autonomy over her own body or you don't. If a person thinks abortion is acceptable in the case of rape or incest, then it logically follows that they think abortion is actually acceptable. Those people are massive hypocrites and their biggest problem is with women, not with abortion.

If there was a referendum tomorrow I know which way I'd vote. I've enough problems of my own without worrying about someone else's so I'd vote in favour of repeal.

That being said, I find attitudes like yours not very helpful in the debate. Things are not as black and white as you suggest for many people, and having that inner struggle on the issue does not make them a misogynist as you imply.

The right dose of passion is necessary in a debate but when you take the line you've taken, you'll end up doing more damage than good.

Advertisement