Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odeon launching Unlimited Card

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I can't decide if I want to do this or stay with cineworld. My third year with cineworld is actually up at the end of april, so its a good time, and I can't decide wherever to stay with cineworld or go with odeon.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I can't decide if I want to do this or stay with cineworld. My third year with cineworld is actually up at the end of april, so its a good time, and I can't decide wherever to stay with cineworld or go with odeon.

How close are you to an Odeon cinema compared to Cineworld?

I thought about getting the Cineworld one before but when I thought about the €6+ euro I'd be spending on bus fares every time it wasn't worth it.

How close are you to an Odeon cinema compared to Cineworld?

I thought about getting the Cineworld one before but when I thought about the €6+ euro I'd be spending on bus fares every time it wasn't worth it.

I live in Malahide so the odeon is much closer :p wish swords was doing a scheme of this kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Loughc wrote: »
    I think where the limitless card will be beneficial is for movies you are on the fence about seeing, like you wouldn't mind seeing it but don't want to fork out full price in case it's ****e, at least if you've paid for the monthly fee you'd be wanting to get use out of it.

Mellissa McCarthy may see a rise in attendance of her movies.

this was one of my main reasons for signing up like yesterday with london has fallen i wouldnt have went to see it if i had to pay full price

I plan to start going at least once a week

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

dunworth1 wrote: »
    I plan to start going at least once a week

Yea me too. If only I was so positive about my gym membership :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

On the whole, I think Cineworld Unlimited is better for the following reasons:

- Includes money off food, drink and alcohol in the bar. 10% in year one, 25% in year 2 on. The alcohol is a particularly good deal in year two.
    - 3D movies are also free in year 2 on.
    - Also money off in the Woolshed next door and I think some other close by restaurants.

Also I think it is a far better cinema then Odeon.
    - 17 screens so more chance in variety of movies including foreign and indy movies.
    - IMAX screen is way better then Odeons poor copy.
    - Seat layout and emegency exit layout is way better then the Odeons I've been in.

One thing I do like is that the Odeon does parent and baby screenings, which is very nice of them and something Cineworld is definitely missing.

Having said all that, in MilesMorales1 case where the Odeon is far closer and more convenient then it probably makes sense to go with the Odeon, specially if you take into account travelling costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

bk wrote: »
    On the whole, I think Cineworld Unlimited is better for the following reasons:

- Includes money off food, drink and alcohol in the bar. 10% in year one, 25% in year 2 on. The alcohol is a particularly good deal in year two.
    - 3D movies are also free in year 2 on.
    - Also money off in the Woolshed next door and I think some other close by restaurants.

Also I think it is a far better cinema then Odeon.
    - 17 screens so more chance in variety of movies including foreign and indy movies.
    - IMAX screen is way better then Odeons poor copy.
    - Seat layout and emegency exit layout is way better then the Odeons I've been in.

One thing I do like is that the Odeon does parent and bay screenings, which is very nice of them and something Cineworld is definitely missing.

Having said all that, in MilesMorales1 case where the Odeon is far closer and more convenient then it probably makes sense to go with the Odeon, specially if you take into account travelling costs.

And Odeon has butter :D

Thats true. The cineworld card is 10% off in HMV as well, which is nice.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Thats true. The cineworld card is 10% off in HMV as well, which is nice.

Although I wouldn't be relying on HMV on hanging around much longer.

jzwsqg.jpg

IMC jumping on the bandwagon too.

• Advertisement

Is that the ones that do swords?

Is that the ones that do swords?

There's one in Santry not swords. The one in Pavillions is Movies @ Swords.

Goddamn it, if swords did it I would almost instantly drop cineworld :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

I would definitely consider an IMC card, depending on the price. By far the only cinema that is vaguely within travel distance for me

Got my limitless card in the post today

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Got my limitless card in the post today

When did you sign up as a matter of interest?

I delayed signing up online because I knew I'd be going to the cinema last night, and thought it'd be easier to sign up in the cinema. Turns out it's the same online process!

C-Shore wrote:
    When did you sign up as a matter of interest?

Signed up on the 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Odd one but I was just wondering how these unlimited cards work in terms of box office figures for films. Say you have one of these cards and you go to ten films per month, how is that €20 allocated across all ten films?

vidor wrote: »
    Odd one but I was just wondering how these unlimited cards work in terms of box office figures for films. Say you have one of these cards and you go to ten films per month, how is that €20 allocated across all ten films?

Great question. I would imagine everytime someone uses the card they pay over one standard charge to the distributors. say for arguement sake is that's €7, so if you see 10 movies by €7, they'll pay over €70 to the distributors.

Obviously it looks like they've made a loss of €50 that month, but when you factor in the amount of people who will only use the card, once, twice or not at all some months, that's where they'll make money.

Loughc wrote: »
    Great question. I would imagine everytime someone uses the card they pay over one standard charge to the distributors. say for arguement sake is that's €7, so if you see 10 movies by €7, they'll pay over €70 to the distributors.

Obviously it looks like they've made a loss of €50 that month, but when you factor in the amount of people who will only use the card, once, twice or not at all some months, that's where they'll make money.

also don't forget the popcorn and drink sales.

when i go i always get a large combo so while my ticket is free i'm still paying a tenner

• Advertisement

also don't forget the popcorn and drink sales.

when i go i always get a large combo so while my ticket is free i'm still paying a tenner

Same! And I have an awful attitude ah sure the ticket didnt cost me anything and spend what I would on the ticket on food, even though they are getting €21.99 a month extra off me.

If cineworld don't sort out this terrible website, I think that'll tip me over into moving my sub to odeon. So many considerations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

What trouble are you having with the Cineworld site?

After I got used to the changes I much prefer it - the fact it now remembers friends' card details is such an improvement for making quick bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I go a bit out of my way now to go to Odeon in Point Village and love it. Staff are good, customer base is excellent and just no hassle or fuss. Rarely to never packed when we go either. We had been going to Coolock for some time, but the place started to get packed out and there was two instances where they oversold a screening, and couldn't provide tickets I'd prebooked with card. Plus some issues with other viewers.

I'd be all over this like a rash, if it wasn't an annual commitment. I'd need to buy two (one for the GF) and while we would definitely pay for itself in spades, we have an 18 month old, and another one on the way, so our cinema going could well drop right off later on the in year :D

Like just yesterday as an example, BvS. €12.50 a ticket (x2) for a standard 2D viewing. Have ticket prices just creeped up again? Or is a Bank Holiday charged at premium rates?

Still had the receipt in my wallet from Star Wars and that was €10.50 a ticket. Deadpool cost me €10.50 a piece also, and that was in their ISense screen.

how are people finding it still going often?

what doi you think of the monthly memebrs offers?

i'm still going at least once a week if i can there has been the odd week where i haven't been able to go finding it good value

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep, I think it's great value.

I think I'm averaging maybe 6 movies a month. I'll probably beat the average over the next week - I'm going to Brent on Sunday, and The Purge 3, Bad Moms, Mechanic Resurrection, War Dogs, A Date for Mad Mary, Sausage Party and Morgan are all out in the next 10 days. :)

I use my cineworld unlimited card maybe 3 times a week? Depending on the films in the cinema of course. For 21.90 a month, you only need to see one film a week to break even, so you can't argue with the value.

Mr E wrote: »
    Yep, I think it's great value.

I think I'm averaging maybe 6 movies a month. I'll probably beat the average over the next week - I'm going to Brent on Sunday, and The Purge 3, Bad Moms, Mechanic Resurrection, War Dogs, A Date for Mad Mary, Sausage Party and Morgan are all out in the next 10 days. :)

be the same for myself

question do you buy popcorn etc each time?

i couldn't imagine going to the cinema without having my popcorn and drink
    one thing i'd never buy in the cinema is a bag of sweet noway am i pay 4 quid for a bag i can walk into dunnes and buy for a euro

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I try and limit myself to one popcorn combo a week. On other days I might bring some water and peanuts or grab a McFlurry in the McDonalds beside the cinema.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    I try and limit myself to one popcorn combo a week. On other days I might bring some water and peanuts or grab a McFlurry in the McDonalds beside the cinema.

oh i wouldn't be able to do that its a ritual for me

Advertisement