Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VI

Options
1327328329330331333»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

stephen_n wrote: »
    Well yes, if you hadn't watched him play you could say that. Or if you know nothing about rugby you could say that.
    stephen_n wrote: »
    I would say the same about the 4 pages of posts by him that RK is a ****e player, who can't play rugby tbh!

No one has said that. And you can leave out the condescending put-downs. This is a discussion forum, people are allowed to express opinions without being told they know nothing about rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 47 maoriincork

molloyjh wrote: »
    TOH also plays a few levels below the current NZ team, and a level or two below Test level. It's rare that there's the kind of space at Test level that he's used to at this stage. So there's bound to be a massive learning curve for the guy as a result.

What works in the Pro12 does not automatically work at Test level. Ireland has had loads of players over the years who have looked really good for their province and been unable to take the step up to play for their country. While TOH may not be one of those the fact that there have been many of those players shows that Test level is a different beast. And Test level against NZ is a step up from that again.

Your argument is out the window because you have Joey Carberry, Ringrose,etc making debuts and have only performed in that lower lower level as you put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Your argument is out the window because you have Joey Carberry, Ringrose,etc making debuts and have only performed in that lower lower level as you put it.

Every player has only performed at a lower level, until they haven't. Get TOH in there imo, probably the best in the country for consistently making ground and beating defenders.

I saw the stats for the Leinster v Munster game earlier, Rob Kearney apparently made 5m from 6 carries. I don't think I've ever seen a figure so low for a fullback.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Not really sure anyone in this match is demanding to be picked next weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

molloyjh wrote: »
    On form SOB is definitely ahead of him, but as it stands I'd have Jordi ahead of SOB until we get a better look at him (tomorrow).
    Zzippy wrote: »
    So, form is important for SOB, but not for RK? :p
    :D
    #canofworms

On form SOB ???????

SOB's form of late is sitting in the stand after his rehab session. My own form is better than that. Havent heard Im in the mix for Chicago though.

• Advertisement

Every player has only performed at a lower level, until they haven't. Get TOH in there imo, probably the best in the country for consistently making ground and beating defenders.

I saw the stats for the Leinster v Munster game earlier, Rob Kearney apparently made 5m from 6 carries. I don't think I've ever seen a figure so low for a fullback.

What was his recycle percentage though ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Not really sure anyone in this match is demanding to be picked next weekend.

Gilroy at FB with Lyttle on the wing. Kiwis won't know what hit them.

Don't think it's entirely beyond the realms of possibility that a solid performance from Carbery tomorrow could see him leapfrog Jackson.

Don't think it's entirely beyond the realms of possibility that a solid performance from Carbery tomorrow could see him leapfrog Jackson.

A step on the road perhaps. And maybe one leading to a leapfrog come 6N time. But for the AIs ? A bit too quick. Especially now its seems we are going with the Henshaw/Ringsie centre combo, to have two such freshlings in the backline together.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

He hasnt been taking the place kicks though has he?

• Advertisement

Adbrowne wrote: »
    He hasnt been taking the place kicks though has he?

That's true but in reality the most the backup 10 is looking at is a few minutes at the death, if even.

I suppose against Canada it would stand in Jackson's favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Sexton on The Late Late show tonight. Pity Ryan doesn't have a clue about Sport or have any interview skills..

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

I would say it's absolutely beyond the realms of possibility.

Jackson was fantastic down in SA and has been playing great rugby for at least 2 years now. You cant compare Carberry's few games as 2nd fiddle.

Has anyone given an explanation yet as to why Earls is in the squad named for Chicago? Even a clarification that it's actually the squad for all the AIs?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Has anyone given an explanation yet as to why Earls is in the squad named for Chicago? Even a clarification that it's actually the squad for all the AIs?

He's in the squad because they will want him in camp to stay in tune. I doubt he's travelling to Chicago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    I would say it's absolutely beyond the realms of possibility.

Jackson was fantastic down in SA and has been playing great rugby for at least 2 years now. You cant compare Carberry's few games as 2nd fiddle.

Couldn't agree more. Carberry has been very good but Jackson has done more than enough to deserve his place as sextons backup. Joe is not the type to change based on one or two good games. Matt Healy had a full season of good play last year and still only made the south Africa tour through injury

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

You can't always compare what a player does for his province and what he does for his country, different coaching structures.

He's in the squad because they will want him in camp to stay in tune. I doubt he's travelling to Chicago.

Still seems odd though, someone who can actually play could be in the squad instead. I know there's 3 other wing options there and not a lot of choice outside of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Still seems a wasted opportunity to have one of the younger ones in camp and getting used to the setup.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

This thread getting full lads, continue the discussion here

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement