Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Finally Tesla coming to Ireland

Options

Comments

I'd be surprised if the Base Model 3 starts at 35 K here even after VRT and 5 K grant.

Who knows, the Grant and VRT relief may not even exist in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I'd be surprised if the Base Model 3 starts at 35 K here even after VRT and 5 K grant.

Who knows, the Grant and VRT relief may not even exist in 2018.

I suspect Tesla Ireland will see it as a niche luxury market and will adopt suitable market pricing at that level

BoatMad wrote: »
    I suspect Tesla Ireland will see it as a niche luxury market and will adopt suitable market pricing at that level

What does a 3 series base go for these days, I mean of similar performance ? I bet it would cost a lot more than the Model 3.

I assume Tesla are trying to tempt A4 and 3 Series buyers. I hope they succeed !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

What does a 3 series base go for these days, I mean of similar performance ? I bet it would cost a lot more than the Model 3.

I assume Tesla are trying to tempt A4 and 3 Series buyers. I hope they succeed !

If they've managed to tempt them in the US where gas is as good as free I'd imagine they'll sell like hot cakes here with our fuel prices.

I've driven almost every brand at some point or another but never even seen one of these outside of America. Wonder what the build quality is like compared to the traditional manufacturers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

I think they had some quality issues with the early Model S, which is to be expected IMO, but they have been improving all the time

I bet the Model 3 will a better car than any ICE selling at the same price, and I even think it will be better than any ICE selling for 10 or 20K more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I would be fairly confident that Irish prices will be broadly similar to the US prices - the Leaf is cheaper here than in the US (according to the Nissan USA site it starts at $29k). The Model S UK price is a few grand more expensive than the US prices if that's anything to go by. I'd say they will price it just under the 3 Series/C Class/A4/IS 300h/Jag XE starting prices, maybe €36-38k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

The BMW 330e PHEV starts at €41,530 after the 5k grant reduction and 2.5k VRT reduction.

BMJD wrote: »
    I would be fairly confident that Irish prices will be broadly similar to the US prices - the Leaf is cheaper here than in the US (according to the Nissan USA site it starts at $29k). The Model S UK price is a few grand more expensive than the US prices if that's anything to go by. I'd say they will price it just under the 3 Series/C Class/A4/IS 300h/Jag XE starting prices, maybe €36-38k.

It remains to be seen what Tesla believe the market price that can be sustained here will be

sure Cros13 would pay anything :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

My understanding is that the price (before local taxes) is the same everywhere but also adjusted for currency variations every now and then. Let's hope the euro strengthens against the dollar.

BMJD wrote: »

The leaf was about 10 K Euro's more expensive here when it first came out than in the U.S. Not sure how it stands now.

The U.S price on the U.S Nissan site I don't think includes the rebates ?

• Advertisement

Free parking promotes abuse. if they were to implement this they would have to impose a max limit of 2 hrs.

As for "EV running costs will not be a useful exercise"

You bet your ass it is in a high performance car. Whether anyone cares about fuel consumption or not fuel bills + Motor tax savings would be substantial !

Not to mention the substantial VRT costs such a high performing car would incur here in Ireland !

People , like my brother, buying new high performance cars , don't really care too much about fuel costs. Generally they are enthusiasts and didn't buy the car to do high mileage driving.

They will buy electric when it out drags them away from the lights

People , like my brother, buying new high performance cars , don't really care too much about fuel costs. Generally they are enthusiasts and didn't buy the car to do high mileage driving.

It remains to be seen how this Tesla 3 will perform but I'm led to believe that the existing ones are rapid off the line.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Jayop wrote: »
    It remains to be seen how this Tesla 3 will perform but I'm led to believe that the existing ones are rapid off the line.

The high end Tesla S's have faster 0 to 60 then most supercars costing 5 times as much!

0-60 in just 2.8 seconds in Ludicrous mode!!

That is faster then the majority of Ferraris and Porsches! Never mind far faster then most of the BMW's etc. knocking around Ireland for the same money. However in fairness a BMW could probably do Cork to Dublin faster due to the Tesla not being able to sustain those high speeds over longer distances without killing the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

bk wrote: »
    The high end Tesla S's have faster 0 to 60 then most supercars costing 5 times as much!

That is faster then the majority of Ferraris and Porsches! Never mind far faster then most of the BMW's etc. knocking around Ireland for the same money. However in fairness a BMW could probably do Cork to Dublin faster due to the Tesla not being able to sustain those high speeds over longer distances without killing the battery.

But I know I'd rather do it in a Tesla...

The point I was making is that so what if someone buys the high performance Tesla ?

The running costs may or may not be a deciding factor in their decision to buy the Tesla, and so what if it does ? Why automatically assume that people choose to buy the EV because of running costs ? Some people may choose not to spend so much money on fuel tax or motor tax or VRT. Big deal.

bk wrote: »

What high speeds ? you can do 120 Kph max in Ireland legally. 2.8 seconds is just a reference to it's performance. Dublin to Cork in the Model S 90 Kwh is more than possible, 161 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

What are the charging times and distance per charge on those?

Where Tesla can't yet match the German cars is interior quality and image and many BMW owners won't give up the image alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

this fast - watch clock in top right

What high speeds ? you can do 120 Kph max in Ireland legally. 2.8 seconds is just a reference to it's performance. Dublin to Cork in the Model S 90 Kwh is more than possible, 161 miles.

Top speeds are irrelevant. 0-60 and 60-100 are the only really important factors in performance. Power off the line and power in the overtaking range are the only things most people will care about. Tesla have those in abundance.

Where Tesla can't yet match the German cars is interior quality and image and many BMW owners won't give up the image alone.

I dunno about that. I'm a BMW fan and used to work for them and I'd say in Ireland the Tesla will be more of a status symbol because it's going to be that bit rarer. It'll be a talking point for a lot of the golf club ilk. (providing you can get a set of clubs in the boot.) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

gctest50 wrote: »
    this fast - watch clock in top right

Just under 2 hrs then for 400km.

kleefarr wrote: »
    Just under 2 hrs then for 400km.

Yeah but if you notice the first 80% was probably in about an hour and the last 20% took another hour. For most trips 50/80% would be loads.

Jayop wrote: »

I dunno about that. I'm a BMW fan and used to work for them and I'd say in Ireland the Tesla will be more of a status symbol because it's going to be that bit rarer. It'll be a talking point for a lot of the golf club ilk. (providing you can get a set of clubs in the boot.) :)

Well I hope they take a lot of sales from BMW and Audi , it might make them wake up and produce decent electrics !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That would be my hope. That all makers would produce EV options and not just dip their toe in the water with PHEV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Water John wrote: »
    That would be my hope. That all makers would produce EV options and not just dip their toe in the water with PHEV.

Most of them are, and PHEV is still good enough, its the gateway drug to pure electric

PHEV is just a lame excuse for manufacturers to get away with still being able to produce engines in house !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭seanin4711

I thought it was the band,meh

People buy performance cars for lots of reasons , often they are just petrol heads. A car isn't just a functional piece of engineering. People want to feel the " power" even if they never use it.

Whats legal is largely irelevant

nokia69 wrote: »
    Most of them are, and PHEV is still good enough, its the gateway drug to pure electric

No , it's a stopgap technology with a dead end. Mostly it exists because it's a tax ruler cheater that benefits from the very slow speeds and short duration of the NEDC test

• Advertisement

Well I hope they take a lot of sales from BMW and Audi , it might make them wake up and produce decent electrics !

I doubt it, too many compromises today for people that consider EV.

Advertisement