Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend me a tyre!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

biko wrote: »
    Here's an old tyre test you have a look at
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2012-Autobild-50-Tyre-Braking-Test.htm
    Uniroyal came in 7th, Zeetex came in 44th

Opps, that's for 2012
    This is from 2014
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2014-Auto-Bild-50-Summer-Tyre-Shootout.htm

It must depend on the car!
    I have the Pirelli p7s and the Goodyear efficient grip on my car at the moment.
    Both sets have been on the front, and the goodyears beat the pirellis in every way, quite convincingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Getstedious reading the same drawn out cliched ridden answers to budget tyres

If this was fact, then a child or whatever must die every single day on the road as someone couldnt break in time on their budget tyres :(

Fact, this does not happen

tyre snobbery pure and simple imo

cars crash every single day on M50 when the road is wet.
    First car stops on good tyres cars behind slide into the back of them.

it doesn't take much to figure out in dry most tyres have similar grip but once wet budget tyres are taking extra 4 car lengths longer to stop is recipe for disaster with only one out come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

I'm not convinced by test results that rely on customer feed back for a number of reasons.

Most would have little experience or opportunity to compare tyres so the comparison is from worn out tyres to new tyres. So likely to give their new tyre choice a higher mark than it may deserve, while it might be a fair comparison between old worn out and new tyres, but we aren't interested in the difference between old and new. We are looking for is reviews between new tyres and we aren't getting that.

People are less critical of budget cheaper tyres because their expectations are lower. While more expensive tyres often carry very high expectations and buyers are more critical. This alone distorts results

Most will write a review within a few weeks after buying a tyre and will rate with stars all the boxes for dry rain snow without actually having experienced all conditions plus any criticism is usually put down to tyres have to bed in.

For these reasons it is very hard to make comparisons between brands on customer reviews.

The tyre ratings by manufacture was to be fair comparison that was standard throughout the industry but even a lay person would realise something is a miss and it appears that lesser brands not as protective of reputation have higher ratings than deserved and experience in real world/

then finally there is independent tests that only cover a very limited number of tyres usually only in the size for their test car. these seem to be the most realistic of tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Ah lads the chap does this on every tyre thread. I'm probably not one to talk but it's best to ignore it if possible.

Like something something irritating eventually it will get a life and go away.

Budget tyres are dangerous. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

This poster would I bet be on Budget tyres and regretting that they weren't on good tyres.
    Budget tyres are probably OK in countries where the temperatures are higher and roads are dry, here traction is at a premium and budget tyres often end up costing more in the long run.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057563179

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Your doing a dangerous job for advising people to buy cheap crappy tyres. Your above statement makes no sense either. I actually would laugh if you fired your car off the road on crap tyres.

believe me nothing would make me laugh harder for you to do the same too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Firestone a good brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

166man wrote: »
    Ah lads the chap does this on every tyre thread. I'm probably not one to talk but it's best to ignore it if possible.

Like something something irritating eventually it will get a life and go away.

Budget tyres are dangerous. End of.

That's a tad harsh, I have a differing opinion to the rest of the posters on here, that's all.

Talking about "getting a life" that time you had a sissy fit when not invited to a boards meet was very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's not rocket science, you just need to look at the wet braking distance figures in the Autobild tests linked to above. Most of the premium brands achieve figures of around 44m, the ditchfinder brands at the bottom of the list go from around 60m to the absolute worst at 71.7m :eek: That 16m or more extra braking distance can make all the difference between stopping in time and crashing into the car in front.

And that's only the ones tested ... I'm sure there are worse ones out there in "sure all the taxi drivers use them" dealers all over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just because a company is Chinese doesn't have to mean their tyres are plastic ditchfinders.
    And budget tyres can be perfectly fine.
    Not everyone have the same requirements.

OP, you already got the best advice - if you like Goodyears, stick with them.

From here on, let's start using sources, facts and figures and less of the emotive stuff...

For instance, I recommend Uniroyal RainExpert. Brilliant tyres and fairly good price.
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Uniroyal/RainExpert.htm
    They can be a bit wobbly in corners because they have fairly soft sidewalls, but just fill them a little higher and they're great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

That's a tad harsh, I have a differing opinion to the rest of the posters on here, that's all.

Talking about "getting a life" that time you had a sissy fit when not invited to a boards meet was very funny.

Yeah, your opinion is perfectly valid and holds considerable weight on this site alright.

Do carry on :):):):):):):):):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

I'm actually surprised to see the Hankook Venus Prime 2 tyres in the second spot on the Autobild tests.

We had them on both family cars and the grip was impressing for the price. I have been thinking about trying a more premium brand but looks like I'll have to stay with Hankooks.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I got the hankook ventus prime 2's recently also, happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

From here on, let's start using sources, facts and figures and less of the emotive stuff...

For instance, I recommend Uniroyal RainExpert. Brilliant tyres and fairly good price.
    http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Uniroyal/RainExpert.htm
    They can be a bit wobbly in corners because they have fairly soft sidewalls, but just fill them a little higher and they're great

Factually, Uniroyal Rain Expert's are not made in a size that would suit the OP's E60.

Advertisement